BSA lightning barrel issue

Well a couple of month ago I picked up a BSA lightning, synthetic stock in reasonable condition, lad said his son couldn’t hit anything with it, having used one when they first came out, I knew it must be young kid syndrome, as in tampering, first thing I noticed the mounts were crap not, not fitting properly at all, and Simone had messed with the barrel shroud, anyway I left it till I had time, anyway I fitted new mounts, correct for the maxi grip rail, and the groups came in dramatically, but still kept slipping off, so checked the shroud and found it loose, so I want to re stick it, I couldn’t find the grub screw, and the shroud is loose on the barrel now, does anyone know what glue/ resin is best to use, with it being metal to metal, I will clean the barrel up properly before hand, the shroud won’t come apart and I think he’s tried before,  and over tightend it, can anyone give me any pointers?  

I was given a lighting a while since and couldn’t hit anything with it, lad I know said  bet the barrel is bent and stock is cracked and it did have a hair line crack in the pistol grip,he said it’s common problem when the gun isn’t cocked properly which sends the barrel flying up wards bending it and cracking the stock, sure enough the Barrel was bent which cost £29 to straighten. Have a look down the Barrel.

If a young one has had it chances are he has

been putting crap pellets through it

give the barrel a pull through clean and get some good pellets

for it jsb or so on

and i use gorilla resin on most of my gear works a treat

all ways go for the cheaper option first lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bigmac 97kt said:

If a young one has had it chances are he has

been putting crap pellets through it

give the barrel a pull through clean and get some good pellets

for it jsb or so on

and i use gorilla resin on most of my gear works a treat

all ways go for the cheaper option first lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers fella,  never tried gorilla resin mind, I have some jb weld somewhere, never find anything when you want it, usual case 

One question I never thought of ?? Should the barrel shroud go right down the barrel, as in this picture image.thumb.jpg.0457580efc24f34d0d2440f2934d0de1.jpg

or should it be set higher up the barrel as in this picimage.thumb.jpg.36d84b39299fd5101bbfe17d61faf11f.jpg

i suppose what I am saying what is the correct position, how far down the barrel should the shroud go, 

I HAVE A BSA LIGHTNING apart from the hard to pull trigger and the recoil in the light gun it shoots fine . A big problem that my gun had was the crown was terrible . I fixed it with valve lapping past , autosolve , a ball bearing and a bit of time . I would check this mine was a joke .

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Deker said:

As far as you like without touching the stock, top pic is no good!

Just checked it Deker,and even right back in the top picture, it easily clears the stock ,and to look at the old, glue/ adeasive on the barrel, that’s where it was, trouble is I don’t know if the previous owner has messed with it,

Edited by 3175darren
Balls up
37 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Just checked it Deker,and even right back in the top picture, it easily clears the barrel,and to look at the old, glue/ adeasive on the barrel, that’s where it was, trouble is I don’t know if the previous owner has messed with it,

xl_tactical__24190_1425295117_1280_1280.jpg.8664e175f905715c09b3f21f7db4862f.jpg

I think I mistook some of the barrel fixing for stock, this one seems to fit right back! :thumbs:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Deker said:

xl_tactical__24190_1425295117_1280_1280.jpg.8664e175f905715c09b3f21f7db4862f.jpg

I think I mistook some of the barrel fixing for stock, this one seems to fit right back! :thumbs:

Cheers that’s the same model as well, just need to get some resin glue tomorrow, and I can sort it thanks, 

Only just catching up on ya post man, but have you had it apart internally? 

I had a lightning in twenty two... as I’ve mentioned years ago, absolute beast it was too. Waaaayyyyyy over the limit. Best I got was 1 inch groups at 20yards or so. But when it hit, it properly hit, and them rabbits didn’t get back up. Knowing what I know now, it might of been a bit better had a stuck with it but took it apart after I found out it was 16 FPE. A good solid rifle by all means, great in the shoulder and so on but mine was one of the first mk2 beech sporter, so well before the tactical synths. 

Was about to say the shroud should touch the breech block, but it would seem you know that now.