Vitamins and minerals

The old flea treatments have been on my mind lately. I have advocate from the vets and drontal for the worms. I googled advocate and you can buy the active ingredient on eBay.... it’s a pesticide. This has played on my mind about alternative methods. f***ing put so much effort into conditioning and the feeding and I willingly apply a pesticide to my dog every month

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No need for all the powders and potions if you feed a good mixed balanced diet 

Obviously parasites exist in nature, but when you look at how wild animals live, as opposed to domestic animals which are cooped up in the same place all the time, seeding the ground with worm eggs et

If you're running them that hard that a good diet isnt enough youre either not feeding as good as you think you are or you're giving the dog more work than its capable of taking.Either way that stuff

Posted Images

3 hours ago, two crows said:

this has been an interesting topic to read with so many different views, worming and fleas aside, I believe if a dog is getting a proper balanced diet for the work it is doing it should not need any thing else, if it does your making it do to much simple as that, but each to there own. talking of fleas iv'e had nightmares this year I am now trying diatomaceous earth does any one use this and how do you rate it.

Tried it on terrier dint work only the frontline seems any good there's 1 called ectoline which is just as good but cheaper

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeyMJL said:

The old flea treatments have been on my mind lately. I have advocate from the vets and drontal for the worms. I googled advocate and you can buy the active ingredient on eBay.... it’s a pesticide. This has played on my mind about alternative methods. f***ing put so much effort into conditioning and the feeding and I willingly apply a pesticide to my dog evewhats the active ingredientry month

what the active ingredient ?

I bought some of that diatamaceous earth(spelling?) last year but can't actually figure what you do with it? I sprinkled it in the kennel and it kicked up a dust cloud everytime the dogs went in or out, so it didn't look good. Then I read on here you can only put it on the dogs feed if its a certain type? Puzzling.

The bottom line is all top athletes that are on the best diets in the world still use vitamins to help them gain that tiny bit more out of their performance so why should a dog that's working up to ten shifts a week not be given that little bit extra to help them out ......

• Like 5

Coconut oil is good to keep fleas and ticks off dogs, also has a lot more benefits if fed orally. I put it on my dogs coat prior to going out and he hasn’t picked up a tick yet, he used to pick up a lot even with Frontline on.  

11 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I bought some of that diatamaceous earth(spelling?) last year but can't actually figure what you do with it? I sprinkled it in the kennel and it kicked up a dust cloud everytime the dogs went in or out, so it didn't look good. Then I read on here you can only put it on the dogs feed if its a certain type? Puzzling.

Careful they're not breathing it in, I managed to do that sprinkling diatomaceous earth and it was like getting a really sore throat that lasted several days. I would be dubious about putting it on food, although have heard of it used as a wormer. It kills insects by dehydrating and I believe cutting them up on a microscopic level. Sprinkle it on an ant nest and it'll wipe them out quickly. I think the idea is to spread it on surfaces where fleas are going to be. I tried it last year when the fleas were bad here, but not sure it is all that effective. Don't think frontline is all that good either. Managed to keep on top of it this year with lots of vacuuming, brushing the dog and weekly washing vetbed (great stuff dog loves it and easy to wash)

1 hour ago, Allan P said:

Coconut oil is good to keep fleas and ticks off dogs, also has a lot more benefits if fed orally. I put it on my dogs coat prior to going out and he hasn’t picked up a tick yet, he used to pick up a lot even with Frontline on.  

There was a story in the paper the other day saying coconut oil is actually bad for people so it could be bad for dogs