I’m sure this has been brought up before but I’m interested to know some other people’s thoughts on bird puller, I have a keeper mate who swears by it and I have a mate who is involved in my little shoot that says it does nothing, I used it late on in the season gone and to be honest I didn’t notice any difference I used it in a few feeders and didn’t notice more feed going from the feeders with puller in, I did notice deer love it as they smashed up a couple of wood feeders with it in

20 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m sure this has been brought up before but I’m interested to know some other people’s thoughts on bird puller, I have a keeper mate who swears by it and I have a mate who is involved in my little shoot that says it does nothing, I used it late on in the season gone and to be honest I didn’t notice any difference I used it in a few feeders and didn’t notice more feed going from the feeders with puller in, I did notice deer love it as they smashed up a couple of wood feeders with it in

I brought some at the midland last year and did a similar thing with some small feeders in the pens, put two next to each other one with it in one without to see what went down quicker. The one with it in did go down quicker but not by a lot. Also we had a fallow that would knock down every feeder we put it in to get to the wheat and I caught the bugger on camera doing it! 

• Like 1

I used it at the end of last season on the advice of a keeper to keep the birds in certain areas but it didn’t seem to make any difference, they use it right through the season as soon as they are off the pellet, I have two main pens that have 400 birds each so I think one area will be getting the puller and the other just wheat, it will be interesting to see if it holds the birds or if they do what they always do and spread out over the woodland 

I think it’s just one of those things that some people have been using for years and dare not stop using it in case they see a drop off in birds in certain areas but to be honest once we have used up the bucket we have we won’t be getting any more...

I'm not completely writing off the merits some people may have seen using it but I personally haven’t seen enough of a reason to buy more. 

I think If you have your woods/ covers set up right so they are attractive to birds and dog birds in daily they’ll hang around. 

• Like 2

first season for us to try it out always used spiced pellets in the pen feeders  so  toping up feeders with wheat laced with the puller to ween them of the pellets maybe just the smell that could attract them don't know but having a go to see what happens..

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jarvis said:

I think it’s just one of those things that some people have been using for years and dare not stop using it in case they see a drop off in birds in certain areas but to be honest once we have used up the bucket we have we won’t be getting any more...

I'm not completely writing off the merits some people may have seen using it but I personally haven’t seen enough of a reason to buy more. 

I think If you have your woods/ covers set up right so they are attractive to birds and dog birds in daily they’ll hang around. 

I think you could be right, I’m not convinced it works as well as the keeper said but knowing my look if I put it in one of the pens I’ll go up to check on them and 800 will be in that pen ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hily said:

first season for us to try it out always used spiced pellets in the pen feeders  so  toping up feeders with wheat laced with the puller to ween them of the pellets maybe just the smell that could attract them don't know but having a go to see what happens..

That’s a very good idea to get them onto the wheat, I’ve had a bit of bother in the past getting them on the wheat, what I find works is scattering wheat on the floor and in straw to get them interested in it while there is still pellet in some of the feeders 

• Like 1

Getting them on wheat , it’s best to trail a bit about while they are still on pellet . But eventually they will have to go “cold turkey “ . Just be ready to shepherd them back if they start to wander a bit . I find mine always scatter the wheat everywhere looking for pellets . On the subject of bird puller , I don’t use it coz I am feeding tons rather than a few feeders . I can see that birds on a boundary with another shoot might prefer it though .