Natural rat repellents

Hello
I recently got a fright when I saw a rat in my parents’ kitchen.

A pest control company have come round but I’m concerned about rats getting back in, especially as my dad is prone to leaving doors open.

I suggested that my parents get a cat but I don’t think they want the responsibility.

I’ve looked into this and read that cats naturally deter rats as well as killing and eating them.

As my parents are against getting a cat is there anything that can be left in a garden that will attract cats without attracting more rats?

Does anyone also have any suggestions for natural rat repellents that are not myths and actually work?

Thanks

What/where is the rat source, the Pest controllers should be able to sort the issue and/or identify where they are coming from.

If there was a natural Rat repellant that actually worked the Pest Control industry would be out of work.

Cats have their uses but will seldom be able to solve an issue, just bring some control.

• Like 1

If you remove all vegetation and turf from said garden and keep the soil weed free and nicely tilled you will attract cats from far and wide.  That much cat crap in one area will put off, from the stench alone, even the most discerning ratty.  Side benefits include p*ssing the neighbours off they will stay away too.

• Sad 1