S&B .22 short

Picked some of these up, 28 grain. I’m planning to give them a go at the squirrels. I fired a couple off this morning, hit a small apple ? both shots at 40 yards, but they went off with a bit of a crack. I’m not sure if they’re quite subsonic?  I will put a few over the chrono and see what they’re doing. Anybody tried them? They were cheap enough anyway.

D55E252C-42E3-478C-98E3-D9488BBB9B84.jpeg

Can't remember when I last used a short, must be 10 years+ since I let go a long.   Anyway, cycling from a magazine can have issues with these. will be interesting to hear a bit more when you have had some time with them!

Cheers.

Edit...Is Airgun the right section?

Edited by Deker

No Deker, I posted it in the wrong section. oops?. I’ll do some accuracy and velocity tests in a couple of weeks and post it up, for anybody who might be interested. Like I say, they were cheap enough, so I thought they were worth a punt. Used to use them in the tube mags and they worked fine, but as you say, a bit tricky in the clip mags that we find in most modern rimfires.

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

They will be good on squirrel.

Decades ago I got some Winchester super X 27grn HP HV and they were fantastic on rabbit.

How much were they?

I like S&B products and lament the lack of availability.

U.

£3summat/50?got some s&b subsonic hp’s to try as well.

The short isn't designed per se to be subsonic. There are subsonic shorts out there, but the short was designed to be a lower powered and quieter .22 hunting / target round by virtue of less powder. Hunt around, pun aside, and you'll find subs, subject to availability, as they're not often used these days. I'm guessing you were just unfortunate and found a brand / type that was supersonic when you really wanted sub.

For squirrels or birds where you don't need high power, they're going to be ideal.

Consistency of shot and flight path was another issue I recall now, never seemed to put 2 shots in the same place, and a wicked arc.   Never found them very useful at all, I think that's partly why I got a FAC air rifle, much more consistent and better arc.

Anyway, its a long time since I've used any so they may have improved, your longer term report will be interesting!

:thumbs:

Subsonic hollow point shorts ! Wow.  The only shorts that I have ever Seen have been solids, mainly hv. When I have used the std velocity ones with a PH mod they have been so quiet that all you can hear is the action noise. In fact the bullet  hitting  the rabbit makes a lot more set up noise we have to have a write up on these.. I  did modify a few and made HP out of them for a special job.  they  we're devastating. Far better than std HP.

I’ve shot a few over the chrono today and they gave an average velocity of 830fps/42.84ft lb.  accuracy was reasonable at 30 yards. I used the same aimpoint to establish bullet drop at 50 yards. At 50 yards, the grouping was opening up quite a bit, only putting 4 out of the 5 shots on the target. Shortly afterwards, an unlucky crow decided to present itself at what turned out to be 34 paces. I took the shot with confidence at that range, but I wouldn’t stretch these particular little rounds much further than that. Fairground fodder really I think, but should be useful for squirrels under the feeders this autumn.

6B31401C-92EB-4B83-A9CB-F891210280CB.jpeg

D412C860-6C18-406A-A013-59C04D0BA349.jpeg

• Like 1