The value of letting a pup be a pup

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are like kids - they mature at different ages. With kids, you get parents wanting them do do this or that at 3 or 4 years old. and they becomr absolutely distraught if Johnny next door is tying h

Always force a pup to do everything it doesn't want to do mate. I've posted some very interesting training methods, on previous threads. If you do a search you'll find them

It's easy to show a sapling to much work  This pup was very keen this morning but gibbed after trying to tackle Marley in number

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Black neck said:

Some come on quicker than others 

My 4 year old called his 16 year old brother a f***ing shit earlier think he's gonna be a flyer

My eldest boy (13) was face timing me ,went upstairs to show his brothers and the 12 yr old looked up and said get out my f**king room , so their picking up bad habits in the 3 weeks  I’ve left  ?

Pups have zero impulse control, the impulse to act on stimulation at that age is instinctive , if it moves, grab it 

I won’t confront a pup for displaying an excited mind or behaviour , it’s a state of mind you have to work with !!  

Pups construe the world though a predator/ prey ratio” what causes me to feel predator like” is tagged as positive and” what stops me” is tagged as a negative , Us included 

so by the time sexuality strikes and your still seen as a positive,  serious training becomes a  lot easier 

manage the pup so you don’t have to confront because if you don’t have to confront,  your always the good guy 

Take the pup out on it’s own in out of the way places, hand feed it’s grub while out getting snippets of heeling , sitting etc , the field is basically the only environment where a pup needs the listen 

hunting just becomes on extension of a positive behavior learnt with you , be the positive and manage so you don’t have to confront 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, stormyboy said:

If my kids couldn't tie their laces long before 8 or 9 I would pts

That's my point. Every 8 year old kid on the planet could learn to tie laces in 2 minutes. A three year old might take weeks. Unless you genuinely need to teach early - why try and force the pace when waiting a while will cut a load of work. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Casso said:

manage the pup so you don’t have to confront because if you don’t have to confront,  your always the good guy 

There, in a nutshell. Anyone following this thread, read and learn. 

The easiest and best way to train a dog is to maneuvre it into a position that it really wants to do something, and then allow it to do what it wants to do while giving it a command at the same time. Eventually the dog will follow the command regardless of its own motivation. There's never ever confrontation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

There, in a nutshell. Anyone following this thread, read and learn. 

The easiest and best way to train a dog is to maneuvre it into a position that it really wants to do something, and then allow it to do what it wants to do while giving it a command at the same time. Eventually the dog will follow the command regardless of its own motivation. There's never ever confrontation.

Bollocks!

Force it in the situation and when it balks electrocute the little fuucker.

Worked on my dogs and my kids ;)

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Bollocks!

Force it in the situation and when it balks electrocute the little fuucker.

Worked on my dogs and my kids ;)

Makes a lot of sense it will prepare the pup for any situation 

Movement =bad behaviour =hot plate kennel

Simples

17 hours ago, Retsdon said:

That's my point. Every 8 year old kid on the planet could learn to tie laces in 2 minutes. A three year old might take weeks. Unless you genuinely need to teach early - why try and force the pace when waiting a while will cut a load of work. 

It was a joke btw. I wouldn't pts but a good shoe to the ribs would be in order.

On 17/08/2018 at 15:18, Lurcherman332 said:

I’m relatively new to the site and also visited topics on training lurcher pups I’ve came across some real good advice but very different opinions, I’ve seen people who train there pups as young as 9 weeks old and start them lamping at 6-7 months old, I’ve recently bought a new pup after my old collie x passed away I’m finding training at the moment is out the question to a certain extent and finding letting her be a pup is working out to be the best option whilst teaching her things whilst she is in play mode, sit , stay and recal she knows I want to play and making things fun and getting a bond what’s people’s opinions on letting a pup mature at its own pace and letting a pup be a pup ?

I think you're doing pretty much the right thing mate. There's more than a few people on here, and they aint all youngsters either, that have started their pups at 4, 5 and six months old, and those dogs are now still paying the price for it, or have been 'moved on' cos 'they weren't suitable'. 

Keep up with the patience mate ?

• Like 3
On 18/08/2018 at 09:17, forest of dean redneck said:

My eldest boy (13) was face timing me ,went upstairs to show his brothers and the 12 yr old looked up and said get out my f**king room , so their picking up bad habits in the 3 weeks  I’ve left  ?

Best a word wi mushroom 

• Like 1
On 18/08/2018 at 06:34, Black neck said:

My 4 year old called his 16 year old brother a f***ing shit earlier think he's gonna be a flyer

My four year old from the backseat the of the car....we're waiting at the lights to turn right. 

Him: 'Daddy, why don't you like the builders?

Me. 'Oh, it's not I don't like them, they're a bit messy maybe and I don't like the way they...

Him...interrupting: "Is it because they're a pack of f*cking cowboys?

His 6 year old brother in the other back seat...bouncing with glee and pointing: 'Daddy! Daddy! Doozie used the F word! Doozie used the F word!'

Edited by Retsdon
  • Haha 2