The value of letting a pup be a pup

Hide from the dog that's a good one let him worrie your not there anymore he will not run away or stray far then I done this with all my dogs and none will get to far away and if they do I'm in the hedge, lieing down in the long grass anything so he can't see me and give the odd whistle 

• Like 2

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are like kids - they mature at different ages. With kids, you get parents wanting them do do this or that at 3 or 4 years old. and they becomr absolutely distraught if Johnny next door is tying h

Always force a pup to do everything it doesn't want to do mate. I've posted some very interesting training methods, on previous threads. If you do a search you'll find them

It's easy to show a sapling to much work  This pup was very keen this morning but gibbed after trying to tackle Marley in number

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Hide from the dog that's a good one let him worrie your not there anymore he will not run away or stray far then I done this with all my dogs and none will get to far away and if they do I'm in the hedge, lieing down in the long grass anything so he can't see me and give the odd whistle 

I do exactly the same thing ... wait until they wander off a bit hide and once they get to panic mode because they can't find you showntourself and call them and give them a load of fuss when they get to you ... once normally does the job but I have had pups I've had to do it to a couple of times but they soon learn that whistle means their on their own if they don't come.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
41 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Dogs are like kids - they mature at different ages. With kids, you get parents wanting them do do this or that at 3 or 4 years old. and they becomr absolutely distraught if Johnny next door is tying his laces, or spelling his name before their own little Kevin. The reality is that -with a bit of encouragement -  they can ALL tie their laces and spell their names before they get to 8 or 9. Likewise with dogs. Everyone is in a fearful hurry. Fine to play around teaching a 10 week old pup to chase you when called, but at the end of the day it's far easier to train a dog at 5-6 months than it is at 3-4 months. They're that much older and grasp what I expected if them that much quicker. If it's any guide, I used to train border collies pretty successfully for farmwork and trialling. and I never bothered teaching a dog much more than its name until it was about 7 months old. For one thing it saved a lot of unnecessary running and shouting! As you said, spend the interim time getting to know each other...

Best reply’s yet ?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, socks said:

I do exactly the same thing ... wait until they wander off a bit hide and once they get to panic mode because they can't find you showntourself and call them and give them a load of fuss when they get to you ... once normally does the job but I have had pups I've had to do it to a couple of times but they soon learn that whistle means their on their own if they don't come.....

That's bollocks! You know full well I sent you (at your request) my last training manual 'uncle Nob's training pups with electricity - for ages from 4 weeks to 4 months'

You're such a fibber! 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, peterhunter86 said:

He'll be running backwards with both eyes closed if he bumps into one of them

Nah because I'll get blackneck there in his dress that he uses for lamping I can only imagine that it would be enough to scare anything to death seeing that 

38 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Nah because I'll get blackneck there in his dress that he uses for lamping I can only imagine that it would be enough to scare anything to death seeing that 

Gerrin a new frock for the season Tyson me green un got ripped on wire and our Robert s lbd got nackerd when he got ravished be keepers lucky c**t him

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Dogs are like kids - they mature at different ages. With kids, you get parents wanting them do do this or that at 3 or 4 years old. and they becomr absolutely distraught if Johnny next door is tying his laces, or spelling his name before their own little Kevin. The reality is that -with a bit of encouragement -  they can ALL tie their laces and spell their names before they get to 8 or 9. Likewise with dogs. Everyone is in a fearful hurry. Fine to play around teaching a 10 week old pup to chase you when called, but at the end of the day it's far easier to train a dog at 5-6 months than it is at 3-4 months. They're that much older and grasp what I expected if them that much quicker. If it's any guide, I used to train border collies pretty successfully for farmwork and trialling. and I never bothered teaching a dog much more than its name until it was about 7 months old. For one thing it saved a lot of unnecessary running and shouting! As you said, spend the interim time getting to know each other...

If my kids couldn't tie their laces long before 8 or 9 I would pts. 

11 hours ago, Lurcherman332 said:

I’m relatively new to the site and also visited topics on training lurcher pups I’ve came across some real good advice but very different opinions, I’ve seen people who train there pups as young as 9 weeks old and start them lamping at 6-7 months old, I’ve recently bought a new pup after my old collie x passed away I’m finding training at the moment is out the question to a certain extent and finding letting her be a pup is working out to be the best option whilst teaching her things whilst she is in play mode, sit , stay and recal she knows I want to play and making things fun and getting a bond what’s people’s opinions on letting a pup mature at its own pace and letting a pup be a pup ?

I started mine from about 3 month little bit of retreiving each day, little bit of jumping, just take ya time its not rocket science to be honest just dont rush it be patient ?