The value of letting a pup be a pup

I’m relatively new to the site and also visited topics on training lurcher pups I’ve came across some real good advice but very different opinions, I’ve seen people who train there pups as young as 9 weeks old and start them lamping at 6-7 months old, I’ve recently bought a new pup after my old collie x passed away I’m finding training at the moment is out the question to a certain extent and finding letting her be a pup is working out to be the best option whilst teaching her things whilst she is in play mode, sit , stay and recal she knows I want to play and making things fun and getting a bond what’s people’s opinions on letting a pup mature at its own pace and letting a pup be a pup ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are like kids - they mature at different ages. With kids, you get parents wanting them do do this or that at 3 or 4 years old. and they becomr absolutely distraught if Johnny next door is tying h

Always force a pup to do everything it doesn't want to do mate. I've posted some very interesting training methods, on previous threads. If you do a search you'll find them

It's easy to show a sapling to much work  This pup was very keen this morning but gibbed after trying to tackle Marley in number

Posted Images

Always force a pup to do everything it doesn't want to do mate.

I've posted some very interesting training methods, on previous threads. If you do a search you'll find them ;)

Edited by mushroom
  • Haha 4

Yeah I agree with you Davo get them around stock soon as they can nothing worse than a pup or older dog chasing stock, remember taking a friend out one day ferreting to permission I had just acquired whilst we were talking to the farmer his dog took off after a sheep was the most embarising thing ever I wasn’t sure if he was going to kick me off his ground but luckily his reply was you better keep that dog on a lead ?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Can’t find any topic mushroom. Quite intrested in hearing how forcing a pup to do something it doesn’t want to do works though? How do you go about that mate? 

A loud voice, violence and electricity. Just persevere, the pup will soon come around ;)

• Haha 3

Dogs are like kids - they mature at different ages. With kids, you get parents wanting them do do this or that at 3 or 4 years old. and they becomr absolutely distraught if Johnny next door is tying his laces, or spelling his name before their own little Kevin. The reality is that -with a bit of encouragement -  they can ALL tie their laces and spell their names before they get to 8 or 9. Likewise with dogs. Everyone is in a fearful hurry. Fine to play around teaching a 10 week old pup to chase you when called, but at the end of the day it's far easier to train a dog at 5-6 months than it is at 3-4 months. They're that much older and grasp what I expected if them that much quicker. If it's any guide, I used to train border collies pretty successfully for farmwork and trialling. and I never bothered teaching a dog much more than its name until it was about 7 months old. For one thing it saved a lot of unnecessary running and shouting! As you said, spend the interim time getting to know each other...

Edited by Retsdon
  • Like 6