6x24 scope on 17HMR?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come in handy on long range mice!   U ?

Thanks for the input fellas. This topic has certainly raised a debate on FFP or variable mag. To me I think it’s just personal preference. For me I think it’s stick to what you know and

You made a statement...………… A zoom will hold it's aim if it's 1st focal plane.  implying a SFP scope doesn't, not true, it holds its aim point 100% if you just dial it in!   Its all very well regurgit

Posted Images

It's down to personal preference as a lot of lads have that sort of mag on their air rifles. Considering the range you'lll be shooting with an HMR, 24x is a bit OTT, but that's just my personal opinion. If you like it, go for it. 

I only have 6x on my 22 hornet and 8x on my 223, but I like fixed mag scopes. :thumbs:

I've a niko Stirling long range 6x24x50 on my 17hmr, the only reason it's on is its off a .308 I had, to be honest it is overkill and I rarely go up to 10x, it will be going back on the 308 when I get around to getting a new scope, I'm more inclined to get a 4x12x50 for the 17. As walshie says though just my opinion an go for what you like. 

• Like 1

At the moment I’ve just put a 3-9 on it till I get a new scope, the option was take 6-24 off my 308. 

Had a go of Stavross 17 T-bolt browning last night and hit a rabbit at about 110, he’s got a 16 on that so might just get something like that for mine?

Thanks for the input fellas??

6 hours ago, Longshanx said:

Hi All,

Thinking about putting a 6x24x50 scope on my new Tikka T1X?

Do you think this is over kill for a 17HMR?

Thoughts please.

Its up to you, as always scopes/reticles get very personal.   As it happens I have an old Hawke 6.5-26 on my HMR, slightly bigger than any of my centrefires.    Sort of got used to it, but I can't remember ever using it past 6.5!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Sounds good to me.

x24 is a bit 'fruity' for most, I have variables but all set on x8 by default, then I'm not on a sandbag and most of my stuff

is sub 200yds and I have 4 to 10 seconds to shoot or not!

Focus is the thing on high mag I wouldn't have the luxury of Far***g around to get things set up.

But if it works for you then you've got it right.

AF

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Longshanx said:

Hi All,

Thinking about putting a 6x24x50 scope on my new Tikka T1X?

Do you think this is over kill for a 17HMR?

Thoughts please.

Thoughts please

Why are you thinking of putting this monstrosity on the gun? 24 x ?? What you shooting, fleas off of the back of a rat out in France? Get a fixed 6 or 8x power by 40.  Better glass, no internals to go wrong and the point of aim don't move every time you wind the power up and down.

24 power !

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Meece said:

Thoughts please

Why are you thinking of putting this monstrosity on the gun? 24 x ?? What you shooting, fleas off of the back of a rat out in France? Get a fixed 6 or 8x power by 40.  Better glass, no internals to go wrong and the point of aim don't move every time you wind the power up and down.

24 power !

Not a fixed fan to be honest.

1 hour ago, Longshanx said:

Not a fixed fan to be honest.

It's a sight. It's an aiming device. As Long as you can see the target, put the bead on it and be guaranteed  to hit the target consistantly that's it. Pound for Pound a fìxed power is much   better  because the glass is better and there isnt the mechanical internals. Until the optical quality of a top scope is seen in comparison to a cheap variable scope, the difference isn't known.  We had a bloke with a variable come out with us night shooting.  there were wheels and dials ànd things everywhere on this scope. Every shot took ages zooming and dialling stuff in. There was one shot that it took so long that the fox ran right in to the squeek up to the vehicle. He then said "I  can't see it " ( ??  by this time the fox then asked if it could have a look down the scope to see the fox ??) we tried to give the bloke the shot but we just drew the 12 and gave it a barrel.  Get something like a 6 or 8 x42 Leupold or Similar. See it; gun up;  shoot it.  Its no different to blokes going round a clay shòot keèp changing  choke tubes every stand. they still miss, Just shoot.

• Like 2

There is some argument to having to much mag in the field.

Lads with airguns have huge scopes on their rifle's for a sub 100 yard rifle, sub 50 for most. 

I have 4x and feel no handicap, just up and shoot.

Eons ago. I had a 7x and a mate 8x fixed on our CF rifles and we use to reach out to 300 but could just get away with anything close.

Another friend uses high mag variables and yes we have lost shots due to fiddling.

U.

• Like 1

Far More important to me than magnification  is full  lens clarìty. I find that so many cheaper scopes especially zoom ones  have a black ring /circle when you look through them. The whole point of a scope is as an optical instrument and if the vision through it isnt complete and Instant then the tool isnt as good as it could be. It is such a pain when you look through a scope and  the view is a small area with a blooming great black ring piece and you have to move the eye sideways òr forwards or backwards to get full view. Chuck it in the bin !! It's not until you look through a quality scope near dusk that the difference shows. The light transmission and clarity really show and you can tell the difference between a clump of grass or thistles and a rabbit. I remember watching a bloke that shot every thistle in a fìeld with a 22lr thinking they were rabbits. Buy once buy right.

This is what I like to see. A full clear image with no black ring.

DSCN7769.JPG

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2