Cockers

4 hours ago, two crows said:

my little pup will do that mate its good to have a dog like that, if one of mine goes missing for more than a minuet or two they bring back a bird every time, when I am waiting during a drive If like you said a bird comes back looking a bit dodgy if she looks at it, I let her go back then and as soon as its down she is on it, she did close to thirty days last season and never looked like wanting one off. I did favour her over the others, like if I saw a runner I always sent her, some days I might pic 50 -60 birds right back, that made the pup this season, I seldom go in and sweep up unless I get the call, then an eye wipe is nice lol.

When you get that right dog then you will know. It willl be a she too and not a he.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some recent pictures of my two mum and daughter.

Nice pups them mate,  I got my cocker pup a few weeks ago, she gets second inoculation today, cant wait to start taking her out, she is a quick learner and in the 20 days since weve had her she i

My first spaniel and I’m glad I ended up with this lad rather than a springer. He’s two and a half now, loosing that puppy exuberance and settling into his work as a rough shooting and beating dog. Su

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, jiggy said:

When you get that right dog then you will know. It willl be a she too and not a he.

you right there mate, but I do have an outstanding old dog in his 11th year, and great uncle to my pup, I want to use him over her in a year or two but may have to put him to her mother instead because of his age, pups mum and old max

flowers 001.JPG

• Like 3
9 hours ago, two crows said:

you right there mate, but I do have an outstanding old dog in his 11th year, and great uncle to my pup, I want to use him over her in a year or two but may have to put him to her mother instead because of his age, pups mum and old max

flowers 001.JPG

I've never owned a cocker but I'd love one. I like their character . Like the saying goes you can tell a springer what to do but you have to ask a cocker. I'd bond with that dog quicker believe it or not. Ignorance is bliss and a contrary owner deserves a contrary dog. We'd both have faults and then work around them. If the dog was just a robot then it wouldn't work for me. I like a challenge and a clink in the armour and see how we can work around that. The very best dogs I seen had that clink and the ones that didn't worked that whistle like a robot were just plumb dumb and couldn't think for themselves because they were too busy trying to please. I know which dog I'd keep. Most field trial dogs I would cull because I've only myself to impress and not the rest of the field with a dog that will burst it's lungs for 30 minutes and then is spent for the day. Looked pretty ,won the trial, but f**k all good for the weekend . Form doesn't beat function unless you like talking bollocks at after hunt parties and prefer eating cheese with cocktail sticks and saying how good the dog was for 15 minutes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jiggy said:

I've never owned a cocker but I'd love one. I like their character . Like the saying goes you can tell a springer what to do but you have to ask a cocker. I'd bond with that dog quicker believe it or not. Ignorance is bliss and a contrary owner deserves a contrary dog. We'd both have faults and then work around them. If the dog was just a robot then it wouldn't work for me. I like a challenge and a clink in the armour and see how we can work around that. The very best dogs I seen had that clink and the ones that didn't worked that whistle like a robot were just plumb dumb and couldn't think for themselves because they were too busy trying to please. I know which dog I'd keep. Most field trial dogs I would cull because I've only myself to impress and not the rest of the field with a dog that will burst it's lungs for 30 minutes and then is spent for the day. Looked pretty ,won the trial, but f**k all good for the weekend . Form doesn't beat function unless you like talking bollocks at after hunt parties and prefer eating cheese with cocktail sticks and saying how good the dog was for 15 minutes.

ian openshaw who owned that old dogs father said, that the very best dogs are always on the verge of going wrong

• Like 1
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 06:27, Who let the dogs out! said:

Nice mate how are these bred again mate

sorry mate I missed your post I will sort out peds and put them up, hopefully going to keep a dog pup to put to my courant pup sometime in the future, if they good enough. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This may well be a stupid question.

im hoping to line my bitch shortly.

ive only ever had a couple of litters of terriers..... given to mates to work.

do you have to have your bitch hip scored etc?

shes reasonably well bred as is the dog I’m hoping to use. 

Both dogs were checked as pups.

my bitch is 6 years old... good little dog on shoot days... only beating.

is that too old for a cocker to be mated?

Honest questions 

cheers .... T

20 minutes ago, TonyT said:

This may well be a stupid question.

im hoping to line my bitch shortly.

ive only ever had a couple of litters of terriers..... given to mates to work.

do you have to have your bitch hip scored etc?

shes reasonably well bred as is the dog I’m hoping to use. 

Both dogs were checked as pups.

my bitch is 6 years old... good little dog on shoot days... only beating.

is that too old for a cocker to be mated?

Honest questions 

cheers .... T

I have never bothered or had any probs of any kind health wise, with my cockers, the bitch that just had pups is six, and her first litter, I like to know they are sound well tested workers before I breed any thing.

• 2 weeks later...