Good morning,

After deliberating over it for years, I have finally decided to (attempt) to learn how to succesfully forage for free wild food. I will be on a 5 hour guided forage around the outskirts of Rochdale, led by David Winnard this Sunday. The event looks to be exactly what I am looking for, a very competent guide and the site is reasonably close to home. I have another guided forage booked in November which will be led by somebody from an enterprise called 'Cracking Good Food' which again, seems to be led by experts.

I searched the internet and found only these two events. I would like to be out more often. Does anybody know of any local club or similar that I might be able to join that will help me to identify wild food? I am in the Manchester/Bury area.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I am literally clueless though lads. I'm pretty sure that I would eat something that would at least give me the wild shites for a week if not kill me.

You're absolutely right, the cost of these courses is astronomical, £35 for the first and £25 for the second. I thought it would at least give me a start, a nudge in the right direction, possibly meet somebody who knew of a club that I could join and learn for free.

The book you've mentioned has been recommended to me every time I've asked about foraging. I think I'd best buy a copy! Cheers.

• Like 1

Foraging is OK for a hobby its vertually impossible to live off its OK for a suplyment  to other stuff unless ya add caught prey . rabbit, deer,fish  and so on.  . the little book I recommend is food for free .part of the Collins gem collection

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

There's a good film based on a true story about a fella that went off the grid in the US to live off foraging it's called into the wild

I and he fukcing died of starvation lol .....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, wildman said:

Foraging is OK for a hobby its vertually impossible to live off its OK for a suplyment  to other stuff unless ya add caught prey . rabbit, deer,fish  and so on.  . the little book I recommend is food for free .part of the Collins gem collection

Yeah I had that book it’s good little guide ?

Good time of year to start foraging mate. Blackberry's etc, make yourself some jam its very rewarding eating your own jam in the depths of winter. The Mushrooms are just starting. Get your self a mushroom book or two "River Cottage Handbook No 1 Mushrooms"  is good in fact the do a hole set on foraging. There are many  good mushrooming books out there , "Field Guide to Edible Mushrooms of Britain and Europe" by Peter Jordan is another good one . The main thing "Do Not Eat Any Thing Your Not Sure Of", keep your eye out for Giant Puff Ball mushroom its the size of a foot ball or loaf of bread very safe. There are other safe one like the Hedgehog mushroom, try to learn 1 or 2 each year. Atb

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1