One poult pincher out the way!

We got our birds Monday. The first evening I didn’t see any foxes around the pens. Wednesday morning I found a half eaten poult outside our biggest pen (around 2 1/2 acres) it looked by the remains a fox was the culprit! I had an idea of where the best place to park and wait would be. Night fell and I was stood on the back of the truck for three house and saw nothing... I decided to have a drive to the top of the pen and look down the other side and see if anything was stirring. I could see through the thermal that there was a lot of birds bunched in a corner and then scanning a bit further down I could see the unmistakable glow of a fox in the thermal. Before I had time to get on it it had jumped the ditch and was heading to the birds! Watching helplessly through the thermal I had to witness it chase and catch a poult before it then came from behind the trees, jump the ditch and back into the field where I was waiting! As soon as it got 30 yards into the field to make sure I wasn’t shooting towards the pen creating even more disturbance I gave it a squeak... the sod looked at me poult on mouth at 220yards, I moved the crosshairs onto its shoulder and thump down it went! That’s the last poult that hit will take!

I then drove back down to were I previously was park up and bugger me there was a fox there. I couldn’t get a shot at it so I waited an hour but it never came back!

That one will be tonight’s objective! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Swines, how did it get in the pen?

It wasn’t in the pen, and the electric fencing has a real belt. It’s juat the fact the poults were so close to the wire and it only takes one to spook and they all get up! ?

• Like 1