Life without gadgets

4 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

What a sad bunch you are .Tech is for improving lives not for living lives by .Just get out and leave it lol.With the exception of phones I couldn't care less about any of it .

Apart from the TV, kettle, microwave, radio.......?

• Like 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I survived before mobile phones and have never needed or had one. I go on this tablet to look on here and YouTube and another hunting site but I don't take it on holiday or when I'm out anywhere. Neve

It'd be to the detriment of technological and economic progress but to the benefit of social cohesion imo. Progress is a bit of a trap. We pursue it out of the short term sense of improved well b

Pretty much like you I,m on my iPad now but hate the amount of time it seems to consume from my life, I have a very basic pay as you go phone and this is the only forum or site I use apart from watchi

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

Apart from the TV, kettle, microwave, radio.......?

Technology in it's entirety is huge; medicine, aeroplanes, cars, telecoms, satellites, roads, firearms, (B&F collars :whistling:) etc etc.

Back to the OP though, think we're just talking relatively modern tech.

Edited by Born Hunter
30 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Technology in it's entirety is huge; medicine, aeroplanes, cars, telecoms, satellites, roads, firearms, (B&F collars :whistling:) etc etc.

The future holds no limits though, we are already on the verge of a linguistic revolution with Translate. Soon we will be able to have a proper conversation with anyone around the globe no matter where you are.

Like you said though in a way it's ridding us of our intimacy and humanity but as a species it's moving us forward in leaps and bounds.

Edited by Kerny92
27 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I saw a pic of adam greentrees bowhunting gear,it includes a drone to spot target species and their location and direction of travel,i have seen roe deer loads of times with my own drone,in Alaska they use stol aircraft to search for quarry.

4 minutes ago, mackem said:

I saw a pic of adam greentrees bowhunting gear,it includes a drone to spot target species and their location and direction of travel,i have seen roe deer loads of times with my own drone,in Alaska they use stol aircraft to search for quarry.

I didn't know he used a drone for that, thought it was just for his photography/filming? Just look at his bow for tech; it's worlds apart from a primitive bow.

He was in the Northern Territory recently on a bit of a walk-about, just wandering through that inhospitable place, shooting water buff bulls, dodging salties and catching barramundi, sleeping under the southern milky way, living like a nomad.

The fact that I, an Englishman 8000 miles away, can follow his adventures day by day is one of the great things about modern technology for me personally. I have a small screen that gives me a small insight into some of the wonders of this planet.

7 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Just look at his bow for tech; 

I am looking around for a left hand Mathews triax at the moment,off to Canada in a couple of weeks,might buy it there :victory:

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

Like you said though in a way it's ridding us of our intimacy and humanity but as a species it's moving us forward in leaps and bounds.

We're living in an environment that our body's and minds haven't been given chance to adapt to. We evolved to live very different lives. Look at the obesity epidemic; our minds are programmed to nail as much sugar and fat as we can when the opportunity arises because palaeolithic man never knew when the next famine or feast would come. Then welcome to the post industrial/agricultural revolution world where we have more calories than we could ever need but it happened so fast we couldn't adapt our basic palaeolithic behavioural programming.

There are countless examples of how tech has caused such problems and ironically is then used to find sticking plaster solutions. eg how advances in pharmaceuticals (drugs) are being used to combat mental health issues that are prolific in modern society.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

We're living in an environment that our body's and minds haven't been given chance to adapt to. We evolved to live very different lives. Look at the obesity epidemic; our minds are programmed to nail as much sugar and fat as we can when the opportunity arises because palaeolithic man never knew when the next famine or feast would come. Then welcome to the post industrial/agricultural revolution world where we have more calories than we could ever need but it happened so fast we couldn't adapt our basic palaeolithic behavioural programming.

There are countless examples of how tech has caused such problems and ironically is then used to find sticking plaster solutions. eg how advances in pharmaceuticals (drugs) are being used to combat mental health issues that are prolific in modern society.

You've been reading a certain book i can tell. ?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with technology and the progress it can bring. It's taken life expectancy from 30 to 75+.

Limiting it in certain forms isn't necessarily a bad thing, paradoxically, although I'm thinking more from an entertainment point of view than anything. With more people staying indoors and living their lives vicariously through numerous celebrities, social media platforms, and 5000 channels of nothing on. Spending hundreds a month on 'necessities.' There are fewer people outside which means there's less congestion for those of us that like being out. That has to be a plus for some of us.

I think it was the BBC that posted an article that said we now spend 8.5 hours a day attached to devices. That was more than work and more than sleeping. Think what 8.5 hours day could be spent on to enrich your life if you channelled the time into something constructive as opposed to pissing it away watching the telly or on Facebook?

They say the time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time... Fair one, just don't tell me you don't have the time to do it because you probably do!

14 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Nothing wrong with technology and the progress it can bring. It's taken life expectancy from 30 to 75+.

I'd challenge that mate. At birth yes, but there's more to it than that. Adult Humans in their pre-tech state, ie as hunter gatherers could expect to live well past 30. In fact it's believed not uncommon to make 70.

Your point is still valid of course, as would be an associated one about infant mortality. I just want to point out that 'progress' actually resulted in little or no improvement of our health and life expectancy at first and even now I'm not sure tech alone is responsible for the improved adult life expectancy. Social attitudes probably have as much to do with it.

There is, as one would expect, a clear trend towards longer live and lower infant mortality rates in industrialized societies. However the lifespan of hunter-gatherers is not as low as commonly thought and in many respects rivals that of the industrialized world . This information may give us a window into the lifespan of early humans.

https://condensedscience.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/life-expectancy-in-hunter-gatherers-and-other-groups/

Edited by Born Hunter
clarification

Continuation;

This is what I mean when I speculate about social factors, rather than tech.

Violence is as important a cause of death as disease for young Hiwi adults, and for infants as well. On page 451, the paper points out that violence and accident cause as many deaths in the Hiwi young adults as occur in most other hunter-gatherers from all causes combined.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/life_history/aging_evolution/hill_2007_hiwi_mortality.html

I think established Western social beliefs like, human rights, justice, law, equality etc have played a significant role in improving life expectancy by reducing violence. In the same way that medical technology has in preventing and mitigating disease and like agricultural tech has in prevented famine.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I just want to point out that 'progress' actually resulted in little or no improvement of our health and life expectancy at first and even now I'm not sure tech alone is responsible for the improved adult life expectancy. Social attitudes probably have as much to do with it.

I stand corrected and fair one, mate. :thumbs:

I'd agree that tech alone isn't responsible but tech has played a massive part in raising everything from living conditions to our understanding of the world. The age of information would be impossible without it and the only people that seem to have lost out are the religious.

It's kind of ironic too. My son is sat here reading and he's laughing that I, Chris Jones, self confessed Luddite. The guy who doesn't have a mobile. The guy who is still living in the 1930's is defending technology.

• Like 1

I have to throw a curve ball here...

I'd say one of the main reasons we are living to older ages (as has already been said, our potential ages) is completely due to violence. Trauma surgery, medical advances, medical technology, a greater understanding of the body's mechanics have all been honed during some of our most brutal episodes. Another one that i haven't seen mentioned is a greater understanding of hygiene

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I have to throw a curve ball here...

I'd say one of the main reasons we are living to older ages (as has already been said, our potential ages) is completely due to violence. Trauma surgery, medical advances, medical technology, a greater understanding of the body's mechanics have all been honed during some of our most brutal episodes. Another one that i haven't seen mentioned is a greater understanding of hygiene 

We're probably moving away from the point of the OP but fair one.

Given that we started this thread viewing technology from more of a 21st-century entertainment aspect could we successfully argue that technological advances have been honed in parallel to these episodes also? All the medical technology we take for granted was progressing at the same time. In essence, while someone was thinking up new and inventive ways to kill people there was also those thinking up new and inventive ways to save them. War has always been good for business.

• Like 1