Life without gadgets

Anyone ever thought about it ? Im not talking hunting gadgets but doing away with TV, phone(basically keep a basic mobile with call/txt) , no computer etc.  Hard to do with kids and a Mrs who wouldn't never give it up but recently thought of just ditching it all for myself.  Sick of downtime automatically getting on sofa with family . Ironic as I type this im doing it via my mobile tho 

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I survived before mobile phones and have never needed or had one. I go on this tablet to look on here and YouTube and another hunting site but I don't take it on holiday or when I'm out anywhere. Neve

It'd be to the detriment of technological and economic progress but to the benefit of social cohesion imo. Progress is a bit of a trap. We pursue it out of the short term sense of improved well b

Pretty much like you I,m on my iPad now but hate the amount of time it seems to consume from my life, I have a very basic pay as you go phone and this is the only forum or site I use apart from watchi

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, j j m said:

ive got to admit if you took my phone and computer away id be lost,sad really

Just seems to take a lot of my time . Not blocks of time but in-between doing things checking on here etc , same with WhatsApp on my phone.  Im in regular conversations with 6/7 people , old friends , current friends , sharing funny / hunting / family pictures , then theirs the WhatsApp groups for football club and friends which ping every 5 mins . Considering trying to stop it all for a month and see how it goes 

Obviously if you use them for work you'd have to keep them 

Edited by Welsh_red

Don't own a telly! When my daughter first moved here Christ she kicked off :laugh: Now she doesn't even notice we don't have one ;) Mac book is for work and the odd movie. Phone is for going on here and a couple of other sites, plus keeping in touch with people. Also I like to download books to my phone and read them on my travels.

It'd be to the detriment of technological and economic progress but to the benefit of social cohesion imo.

Progress is a bit of a trap. We pursue it out of the short term sense of improved well being it provides but at the expense of living more and more unnatural lives and hence the problems that brings. To revert to a less advanced state is effectively impossible due to the fact society as a collective would have to also revert for you to gain fully from the more natural life benefits. Fundamentally this wont happen because just as progressing gives a short term feeling of improved well being, regressing would come with a short term feeling of deteriorated well being. People genuinely believe that they are happier with all their technology than a poor fisherman in Costa Ricca, say! That's the progress trap!

When I realised that, it genuinely changed my outlook on life.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

It'd be to the detriment of technological and economic progress but to the benefit of social cohesion imo.

Progress is a bit of a trap. We pursue it out of the short term sense of improved well being it provides but at the expense of living more and more unnatural lives and hence the problems that brings. To revert to a less advanced state is effectively impossible due to the fact society as a collective would have to also revert for you to gain fully from the more natural life benefits. Fundamentally this wont happen because just as progressing gives a short term feeling of improved well being, regressing would come with a short term feeling of deteriorated well being. People genuinely believe that they are happier with all their technology than a poor fisherman in Costa Ricca, say! That's the progress trap!

When I realised that, it genuinely changed my outlook on life.

Technology will be the end of us in some form or other well before we are wiped out by any natural disaster.

Edited by Kerny92
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

Technology will be the end of us in some form or other well before we are wiped out by any natural disaster.

Might well be, I'd say it's introducing as many problems as it's fixing. Objectively we all live a bit longer than our palaeolithic ancestors but now suicides and self harm are relatively prolific. Not to mention less quantitative metrics; what about the quality of human social interaction?

But then folks have been saying how the end is nigh for decades, perhaps the last century or two and we have consistently had a knack for finding technological solutions for all the problems that our madly competitive nature creates.

We will probably still be around, in ever greater numbers and ever more advanced tech in 200 yrs time. A healthy, albeit technologically dependent species......... but what will we have left of the natural world? What social stresses will we be dealing with that less advanced Homo Sapiens just don't need to worry about?

And I'm a research scientist. I'm supposed to be the greatest proponent of technology and progress! :icon_eek: :laugh:

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Might well be, I'd say it's introducing as many problems as it's fixing. Objectively we all live a bit longer than our palaeolithic ancestors but now suicides and self harm are relatively prolific. Not to mention less quantitative metrics; what about the quality of human social interaction?

But then folks have been saying how the end is nigh for decades, perhaps the last century or two and we have consistently had a knack for finding technological solutions for all the problems that our madly competitive nature creates.

We will probably still be around, in ever greater numbers and ever more advanced tech in 200 yrs time. A healthy, albeit technologically dependent species......... but what will we have left of the natural world? What social stresses will we be dealing with that less advanced Homo Sapiens just don't need to worry about?

And I'm a research scientist. I'm supposed to be the greatest proponent of technology and progress! :icon_eek: :laugh:

This leads me to a fcuked up question.

Would you sacrifice your physical self to be an energy source for man or machine in exchange for a virtual life of complete bliss????? ??

Think the Matrix and Total Recall without the bad bits...... 

Edited by Kerny92
  • Like 1