Loving the HV ammo.

18 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Hi mate 

good shooting is just standard practice for you Nathan , wouldn't except anything else really from you 

what's the mv on them mate , might try some my self 

Atb 

Says 1280 on the box I think.....

If you see some eley grab them!

• Thanks 1

People hate them largely because they're very noisy. I remember being out with a mate when he shot some at night. The Winchester subs were just a quite phaat - quieter than my precharged moderated 12ft lbs air rfile! The Winchester HV's echoed round the valley off 3 hills some 2 or 3 miles away, 3 or 4 echoes in total. If I'm honest, it didn't sound that far behind a CF and that was with a quality mod on.

The other factor of course is the trajectory is totally different and so they require a different zero and drop allowances. I guess many people are lazy, don't re-zero on a range or work out the new drops and then complain when they miss.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

I tried HV many years ago and liked them, the draw back was I had no consistent supply, each place I went to seemed to have limited stock, but everybody had sub’s, I found the normal HV very good, in most brands, however  some of the really HV, as in stingers and such, inconsistent at best, 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Alsone said:

People hate them largely because they're very noisy. I remember being out with a mate when he shot some at night. The Winchester subs were just a quite phaat - quieter than my precharged moderated 12ft lbs air rfile! The Winchester HV's echoed round the valley off 3 hills some 2 or 3 miles away, 3 or 4 echoes in total. If I'm honest, it didn't sound that far behind a CF and that was with a quality mod on.

The other factor of course is the trajectory is totally different and so they require a different zero and drop allowances. I guess many people are lazy, don't re-zero on a range or work out the new drops and then complain when they miss.

:laugh: Where do you get this from?

I've never heard anyone say I don't use .22lr HV because they are very noisy.   That would mean people hate virtually every rifle/caliber!!    If you need them you need them, regardless of noise, if you don't, then why are you using them?   As regards POI, that's easy for most, back in the day my sub zero was 60 yards which gave me a HV zero of 100 yards with the ammo I was using, easy!    In the early days when I was out with my .22lr with subs I would always carry a magazine loaded with HV for a quick change, just in case!

HV .22LR will next to never give the accuracy/consistancy of subs, and if distance is required a HMR or WMR will give the accuracy, with better varmint ammo selection as well, there is no .22LR V-Max equivalent.   You don't need a HV .22LR to stop a squirrel or rabbit or even a fox at 100 yards, you just need to deliver it to the right spot.    Just the same .22lr HV has its uses, and is very commonly used by many people to good effect.    

My .22lr's are pretty much dedicated sub tools these days, if I need the range/stopping power I use something else.   That something else will always be noisier and always have a different trajectory, that's what happens when you change caliber, and or ammo, its a fact of shooting, what's being lazy got to do with it, shooting is about knowledge, get used to it!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Because once you get that noisy, you might as well use a HMR or WMR or Hornet or a CF as you pointed out and gain a bit more range and punch in the bargain. .22 HV is a funny round in a way. The subs do most things. Once you need more range and give away the advantages of stealth, there are other calibres that fit better. Only reason I can see for using HV's is if you only have the 1 rifle with you and prey is unexpectedly a little beyond the range of subs. Beyond that, if you know the prey is going to be further out, there are probably better rifles for the job.

45 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Because once you get that noisy, you might as well use a HMR or WMR or Hornet or a CF as you pointed out and gain a bit more range and punch in the bargain. .22 HV is a funny round in a way. The subs do most things. Once you need more range and give away the advantages of stealth, there are other calibres that fit better. Only reason I can see for using HV's is if you only have the 1 rifle with you and prey is unexpectedly a little beyond the range of subs. Beyond that, if you know the prey is going to be further out, there are probably better rifles for the job.

HV through a mod is not as noisy as WMR or CF.

48 minutes ago, riflehunter583 said:

good shooting there mate thumbs up

i must confess i only use eley target ammo in my 22 now but the velocitors were alot of fun to use and accurate also 

if you enjoy using the hv stuff why not they are as cheep as chips?

Actually, decades ago I experimented with 22 solids for hunting with and eley standard and club were the best.

Many tests seem to show a trend of the bullet wanting to tumble in the victim and they worked reasonably well.

Pretty much all other brands seem to zip through other than head shots..

U.

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

Actually, decades ago I experimented with 22 solids for hunting with and eley standard and club were the best.

Many tests seem to show a trend of the bullet wanting to tumble in the victim and they worked reasonably well.

Pretty much all other brands seem to zip through other than head shots..

U.

Your findings the same as mine: Eley solids;

there all about the same except for quality.

1080fps 40g solid bc around 0.150

They do the job I need them to do. OBVIOUSLY the hollow points expand and the solids don't but the solids are way more accurate and do the job fine on crows. 

I hit a crow last week 187y sitting on a post. the solid killed it instantly. It did not twitch at all. Just hopped one inch in the air then fell motionless. totally dead.

The point is can a deer stalker kill this cleanly/humanly? Or an slaughter house?

As freedom of a bird states, with hmr once around 250y; the tips don't expand and its like air gun shooting, rounds not expanding. 

I guess to a crow a 22 round is what a .50 cal is too us. solid or not. In the real world from my real world experience. If crow is hit square in the chest hollow or solid its going down fast.

One thing i noticed from the respected eley factory; they make their target stuff just bellow the speed of sound. Just. Interesting that and speaks volumes.

Edited by riflehunter583
  • Like 2
On 15/08/2018 at 10:04, Underdog said:

HV through a mod is not as noisy as WMR or CF.

Yeah but it's loud enough as to make no difference when it comes to scaring prey especially where we used to shoot in a valley with hills on all sides that it echoed off.

Edited by Alsone
1 hour ago, riflehunter583 said:

Your findings the same as mine: Eley solids;

there all about the same except for quality.

1080fps 40g solid bc around 0.150

They do the job I need them to do. OBVIOUSLY the hollow points expand and the solids don't but the solids are way more accurate and do the job fine on crows. 

I hit a crow last week 187y sitting on a post. the solid killed it instantly. It did not twitch at all. Just hopped one inch in the air then fell motionless. totally dead.

The point is can a deer stalker kill this cleanly/humanly? Or an slaughter house?

As freedom of a bird states, with hmr once around 250y; the tips don't expand and its like air gun shooting, rounds not expanding. 

I guess to a crow a 22 round is what a .50 cal is too us. solid or not. In the real world from my real world experience. If crow is hit square in the chest hollow or solid its going down fast.

One thing i noticed from the respected eley factory; they make their target stuff just bellow the speed of sound. Just. Interesting that and speaks volumes.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when solid lead was the norm for .22lr and field work (and no moderators...then along came the Parker Hale...and what a problem it was to get one on ticket).   HP was around in small doses, and then seemed to sort of just turn up over a few years.  

Solid does/did/will certainly work on all the same quarry the HP work on but a bit less effectively if you are not quite so spot on with the delivery point.  Just the same, I can't actually remember the last time I used solid .22lr in the field, never goes through my mind these days to use it!

:thumbs: