Loving the HV ammo.

I'd did a post on the damage the cci mini mags do a bit ago

https://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/378554-half-an-hour-this-morning-graphic/?tab=comments#comment-4638746

I still like them and use them, I can't be bothered re-zeroing to go back to using subs as the price difference is negligible, until I purchase a reasonable quantity of subs I'll stick HV. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'd did a post on the damage the cci mini mags do a bit ago

https://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/378554-half-an-hour-this-morning-graphic/?tab=comments#comment-4638746

I still like them and use them, I can't be bothered re-zeroing to go back to using subs as the price difference is negligible, until I purchase a reasonable quantity of subs I'll stick HV. 

I remember it ?

• Like 1

In terms of power, it's a big step up. The penalty is noise.

Subs typically come in around 90ft lbs depending on the brand / type, whereas HV's typically deliver around 50-100% more energy, again depending on the round / brand chosen. The big shame with HV's is in terms of usable range, it's not that much more than the subs because both velocity and energy drop off quickly. A HV becomes a sub at around 90yds and that's using he figures for a CCI Stinger, as one of the hottest rounds.

Possibly of more interest is Shooting UK did a ballistics test here using clay to test the terminal effects of several HV rounds: https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/ammunition/22-lr-high-velocity-ammo-test

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 2
On 15/08/2018 at 21:53, Underdog said:

Actually, decades ago I experimented with 22 solids for hunting with and eley standard and club were the best.

Many tests seem to show a trend of the bullet wanting to tumble in the victim and they worked reasonably well.

Pretty much all other brands seem to zip through other than head shots..

U.

recorded this early this morning using eley solids. to be fair took longer for the crow to die this time.

I know I  know sack the camera man!!! ha ha

Edited by riflehunter583
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, riflehunter583 said:

recorded this early this morning using eley solids. to be fair took longer for the crow to die this time.

I know I  know sack the camera man!!! ha ha

Good shot. My magpie did the same with a hollow point.

They are dead, just don't know it for a second or two.

U.

• Like 1

Your big trouble is with either round there's no hydro static shock at those distances (very little with .22 LR anyway!). .22 LR has more than enough energy to kill birds at those ranges but humaneness of it will always depend on where the bullet hits which makes for a much smaller margin of error, that with something travelling with more velocity.

Hard to tell from the video but I would have expected more flapping if it wasn't dead. I'd say it was probably just nerves moving the wing slightly.