Gundog

I know this is a longshot but if anyone for any reason needs to rehome an adult gundog could you please let me know,  The dog (or bitch) will be coming to a good family home with steady work all year round. (I dont have the time or knowhow to bring on a pup).  Thanks for any replys. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Sure is a long shot John.

You wont get a good gun dog this way.

We all wore L plates once mate.

A German Short Hair, ( GSP), you have to teach a GSP not to hunt.

Get a pup John, there`s no short cuts mate.

Here`s Kaiser, working under the air rifle.

IMG_0702.JPG.06eece14f10b530467834d94e6228163.JPG

Get that pup John.

All the lads on here are only a call or message away should any advice/ help be needed.:good:

atb  Mark.

• Like 1
On 08/09/2018 at 09:03, mark williams said:

Sure is a long shot John.

You wont get a good gun dog this way.

I don't think that's true. You know the right people then decent dogs are passed on. One man's meat is another's poison. I can think of two saplings that I've been offered and turned down that went on to be the best dogs in their respective kennels. A third more recently, I took and have absolutely no regrets over it. I've seen nothing to suggest that getting a pup in is of any more advantage than a sapling.

Don't consider this a lost cause big napper. Keepers and trialling folk is where I'd be looking. There is a multitude of reasons why both pass on dogs unsuitable to them but perfectly suitable for an average shooting man. You can't just buy the finished product though, you will need to develop your own handling and intuition to adapt, maintain and improve what you want from the dog. I've seen people buy a 'fully' trained dog and with little maintenance all that deteriorated to being worthless. No matter what you get, it'll need you to do your part, pup, sapling or seasoned pro.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Cheers for that BH, thats what i was hoping for and if i do manage to get one i can definatly bring it on, i just dont have the time to start from scratch with a pup as it will need more time spent with training than i could give it, if i got a dog that had even just the basics i could sort out the rest, cheers for the reply mate

On 13/08/2018 at 15:31, big napper said:

I know this is a longshot but if anyone for any reason needs to rehome an adult gundog could you please let me know,  The dog (or bitch) will be coming to a good family home with steady work all year round. (I dont have the time or knowhow to bring on a pup).  Thanks for any replys. 

Well BH i read it as BN was looking for an " ADULT GUNDOG".

Not a sapling, either, a finished product- yes, so answered what in "my opinion" was best " for him".

I do consider a rejected pup or sapling, rejected for a reason though but i do hear your thoughts BH.

If a sapling turns out to be better than first thought, then great, the first owner should not be so quick to reject it.

Each to their own, i know but a blank canvas or untouched pup makes the best painting and makes a brand new owner far less of a novice, for me that is.

Good luck John. :good:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, big napper said:

Cheers mark, i would prefer a trained or part trained dog or bitch if it were a young one or adult i just dont want a very young pup, cheers both of you, 

I gathered that from your first post mate. I think marks words are good ‘by the book’ advice, many folks would agree too and it’s where I started with dogs, I just don’t agree with it these days. Pups are hassle and if a good adolescent/mature dog comes along then I believe the same end product is achieved without having to change ya life too much.

There are men about that have full kennels and have the privilege to get rid of dogs just because they don’t get on with them or maybe they have a fault that makes them unsuitable for that mans particular work/standard. These fellas are worth knowing...

Ive got a mate that rehomes spaniels that stay too close! Lol. One mans meat...

You might struggle without knowing folks personally but I’ve seen 11month etc spaniels up for grabs on here I would have been very interested in.

marks right you have to be careful for the odd wanker getting rid of a problem, I just wanted to point out it’s not a no hope at all.

• Like 1