Pup not seeing rabbits

Morning all,

I’ve never had a pure Whippet before and always had Lurchers,  my Lurcher died not long back so I made the decision to buy a Whippet. 

He’s 4 month old and I walk him where I know there’s always a lot of rabbits sitting about. 

When we get to the field there’s rabbits all over and they’re hopping and running but he’s just more interested in sniffing around and eating grass!! 

I’ve kneeled down with him to try and help him see them and show them where they are but he just has none of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ash

Small dogs struggle to see what you can with the hieght advntage. But acword of warning theres not much worse than a young dog seeing too many of them impossible rabbits sat a foot of a hedge in daytime. Sure way to get a dog pulling up at cover that is.

• Like 4

4 months there still finding their legs and exploring the world,some don't have any prey drive yet,its all a game.Let him be a pup.You could start with a rabbit skin on a rope and pole,always make it fun and praise him.Dogs from hunting lines may start earlier but once he gets the idea he wont look back.Not many whippets won't chase when older.

• Like 5

All comments above covers ur question, to young yet and even if e sees them he has the frustration off trying to catch them which either leads to pulling up or barking after them, a Dummy  or rope and general walks he will pick the scent and coming into October/ November u may start to see a change 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ash_Raine said:

Thank you all for your comments and advice. You have all answered my question. I will let time take it’s place. 

That's the way mate. As others have said, four months is way too young. Also when you take him out over the next few months, take him where there aren't any rabbits. Doubt and frustration will very quickly happen if the dog aint catching what it runs. Good luck with him ?

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

That's the way mate. As others have said, four months is way too young. Also when you take him out over the next few months, take him where there aren't any rabbits. Doubt and frustration will very quickly happen if the dog aint catching what it runs. Good luck with him ?

Cheers mate thanks for the advice. ??

47 minutes ago, poxon said:

Do you keep ferrets? Be old enough to pin in nets by the time the season starts just to build confidence but still to young to let loose running bolters 

No, don’t have Ferrets. Yeah I’m just gonna leave him until later on and just have him on a dummy I think Poxon. 

• Like 2