mobile contract help

I have had a mobile phone contract with Talktalk for 2 years it comes to an end on 11th Sept this year. now do i have to contact them to tell them i dont want a new contract with them or will they automatically take the last payment on the 11th Sept & that's it .... I have scoured there website & cant find the answer I need. Its the first contract I have had so am not familiar with the process ... Thanks in advance 

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

I have had a mobile phone contract with Talktalk for 2 years it comes to an end on 11th Sept this year. now do i have to contact them to tell them i dont want a new contract with them or will they automatically take the last payment on the 11th Sept & that's it .... I have scoured there website & cant find the answer I need. Its the first contract I have had so am not familiar with the process ... Thanks in advance 

I'd go to the bank and cancel the direct debit to be sure because most companies will keep drawing from your account.

Just now, scothunter said:

Dunno but if you are going to change go to Plusnet SIM only.

Unlimited text 2.2 GB and 740 free mins for £5 a month

I am going to get a tesco contract Scott my handset is on its last legs .. its only the mins I want it for as i did away with the housephone so need a reliable phone 

• Like 1
Just now, jiggy said:

I'd go to the bank and cancel the direct debit to be sure because most companies will keep drawing from your account.

Thats what I was thinking I will cancel as soon as the last payments gone out then ?

1 minute ago, South hams hunter said:

You need to ring and ask for a pac and give notice. Otherwise it will continue at your current rate

Thanks thats the answer I needed , will get onto them tomorrow

If you don't cancel correctly but why f**k up a credit file for the sake of a few.minute call?

I'd do it correctly and then cancel the direct debit because across the board a lot of companies keep drawing from your account either way ( phone, tv or internet and make you jump through so many hoops and keep you on hold for hours to get your couple of monthly payments back. People don't bother then and let them keep their cash. Fcuk them I say.

• Like 1

That's awful advice, just cancel it properly or you'll not get another. I work for one of the biggest telecommunications companies in the UK and giving notice is very easy 

I would have continued with talktalk but there doing away with there mobile service so when I tried to sort it by clicking the upgrade button its directed me to 02 , who I believe are the provider  for Tesco but I can get it loads cheaper by going with Tesco its mad?

Take this anyway you feel as I've been out of the country for over a decade now, but I cancelled mine before I left and my mam was still getting bills through after I'd gone stateside.

• Phone them and tell them you're cancelling. They will record it.
  • Cancel in writing. Send it recorded/registered post. This will prove they signed for it.
  • Stop using the phone when your contract expires.

I had to phone them from the US to stop the billing. They checked that I'd called and confirmed it but they couldn't find the written notice even though I had sent it registered and knew they'd received it. I even explained that I hadn't used the phone the month I moved despite being paid up until the end of that month as I'd cancelled in good faith. They kept billing me. Only when they traced my call to see that I was out of the UK did they stop but I had to explain to them that they wouldn't be receiving any more money did they cancel it.

They were quite prepared to bill me indefinitely and only stopped when I said I was never coming back to the UK. If they are still billing me I'm unaware of it.

3 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Take this anyway you feel as I've been out of the country for over a decade now, but I cancelled mine before I left and my mam was still getting bills through after I'd gone stateside.

• Phone them and tell them you're cancelling. They will record it.
  • Cancel in writing. Send it recorded/registered post. This will prove they signed for it.
  • Stop using the phone when your contract expires.

I had to phone them from the US to stop the billing. They checked that I'd called and confirmed it but they couldn't find the written notice even though I had sent it registered and knew they'd received it. I even explained that I hadn't used the phone the month I moved despite being paid up until the end of that month as I'd cancelled in good faith. They kept billing me. Only when they traced my call to see that I was out of the UK did they stop but I had to explain to them that they wouldn't be receiving any more money did they cancel it.

They were quite prepared to bill me indefinitely and only stopped when I said I was never coming back to the UK. If they are still billing me I'm unaware of it.

? it's not easy when talking to a faceless person on another continent that can barely string two words of english together that's highly trained in stealing your money and you never get to speak to the same person twice. They are like fcuking assassins. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, jiggy said:

? it's not easy when talking to a faceless person on another continent that can barely string two words of english together that's highly trained in stealing your money and you never get to speak to the same person twice. They are like fcuking assassins. 

By the time it escalated the bloke I was speaking to was very English. I was on the phone for a good 20-30 minutes while they checked recordings to make sure I'd done what I said I'd done and I could even prove that someone had signed for the cancellation notice as I'd sent it registered but because they'd lost it between the signee and billing they were still billing me. I told them I wasn't coming back to the UK as I'd emigrated and told him to trace my call to Utah. He confirmed that was where I was phoning from too! :laugh:

I might still be getting billed for all I know but I told him in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't be getting another penny out of me ever. I was calm and polite the whole time and I could just tell he was getting more and more wound up. I even wished him and his team all the best in the future and hoped they could sort out all the problems with their administrative staff as it must be a huge hassle getting all the mail from the front desk...

• Like 1