If you could only have one busher

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

I like the look of the spaniel terrier crosses, got a couple of leggy terriers that are happy to stay on top and if they get a scent won't stop at any cover

IMG_20170805_194245773.jpg

IMG_20170901_194147139_HDR.jpg

Are they pure beddies mate or is there abit of whippet in them? Look a nice type.  Atb adam 

I've a very good bushing springer spaniel. Only yaps if tight to fox. Handy if you are hunting where your not supposed to be. She would hunt a 100 acre wood on her own rangey as a hound and push out foxes. Could bring her out next day on pheasants and she would hunt tight on the whistle. Very special dog. Having said that and you want a vocal dog. I've seen pure fox terriers that will scream their heads off on scent and won't be as inclined to drop to ground like a patterdale. If they do drop in they come out after 10 minutes. My father bushed with patterdales for years but they are a pain when they drop to ground. They weren't much as digging dogs but you would have to wait 45 minutes for them to come out. I definetly wouldn't use patterdales from proper digging lines unless hunted single and wearing a locater. I had a good golden Labrador for bushing too. Pretty much any working breed will do if you give them enough experience at it. I've used half glen of imaal half patterdales aswell. Very vocal in cover but fond of dropping in. They weren't good digging dogs but were 30 minute wonders and came out sore. In saying that I got dozens of handy digs with them. Not the type of dog for an 8 foot dig though. Real good digging dogs ( which are priceless at their job )don't necessarily make good bushing dogs. They don't have that pack mentality and can't be hunted in groups unless you want the mess of 3 dogs in one hole. I've spent most of my time on getting proper digging dogs for years and wouldn't change that but I had some fun with those bushers. Digging men would call them jackers but some of those dogs were exceptional at finding and hunting cover. A completely different dog for a different job and a good one is very valuable and will get you plenty of action.

Edited by jiggy
  • Like 4

There is also a myth that a vocal dog is needed and fire gunshots to get foxes to break from cover. Most of the best bushers I've seen were silent. ( A loud dog is only notifying the owner which direction it's going but doesn't make him a better dog ) Hunting with gun packs the best dogs always break cover follow the exact line of that fox and will be ragging the carcass beside the gunman who shot him. I've seen packs of hounds run woods and 4 foxes could be shot but not one hound would break cover follow the line and rag them foxes. Those hounds aren't hunting their just galloping cover and the fox left of his own accord. The good ones will be beside the body.?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jiggy said:

There is also a myth that a vocal dog is needed and fire gunshots to get foxes to break from cover. Most of the best bushers I've seen were silent. ( A loud dog is only notifying the owner which direction it's going but doesn't make him a better dog ) Hunting with gun packs the best dogs always break cover follow the exact line of that fox and will be ragging the carcass beside the gunman who shot him. I've seen packs of hounds run woods and 4 foxes could be shot but not one hound would break cover follow the line and rag them foxes. Those hounds aren't hunting their just galloping cover and the fox left of his own accord. The good ones will be beside the body.?

My busher terrier pup of 10 month is silent no yipping which I wasn’t expecting as every terrier I’ve had yiped when close to game but now I am used to it I quite like it as like you say if you where you shouldn’t be it’s a good trait,my pup might not yip but after 10 months I can read him well now so I know when he’s on something.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Str said:

My busher terrier pup of 10 month is silent no yipping which I wasn’t expecting as every terrier I’ve had yiped when close to game but now I am used to it I quite like it as like you say if you where you shouldn’t be it’s a good trait,my pup might not yip but after 10 months I can read him well now so I know when he’s on something.

I wouldn't worry one bit about it. If you have a read on him after only 10 months then he must be doing something right. I've seen a yappy dog getting all the credit for flushing foxes when they were actually walking at my heel for most of the hunt. The silent dogs were smashing cover and following up scent doing all the work. This fcuker only got involved in the last 100 yards of a hunt and the gunmen thought he was doing all the work.He wasn't my dog and the owner had a big face on him when I told him his dog was a sneaky bag of shit.??? I had allready gave him a quarter glen of imaal quarter patterdale and half the dirty dog across the road which was a mix of everything. That dog smashed cover and was always ahead on a line but that man thought the dog wasn't hunting because he didn't scream. A lot of foxes were shot and still are over that dog. I hunted his dogs for him and was in the cover with them so had a better idea on who did what!

• Like 3

I personally would recommend spaniel x  terriers for general moochin and bushin for the average lurcher man.

My mate has a decent one she’s a very good little busher n will tap on scent and put plenty out for the lurchers. She works completely different to mine which are beagle spaniel terrier.

Mine will carry on hunting and thrive off following scent for a considerable distance. I can cast mine up n out onto a banking or cover or over fields  and head to the other side myself and leave them to do there work so works to my advantage at times like this. Where as a spaniel terrier will only go so far then come straight back. 

If you are contemplating getting a busher I would strongly advise goin to see beagle blooded dogs work before committing to one as can be an absolute headache at times when your in a rush or need to be somewhere. Mine suit me but you need a lot of patients and time.

• Like 4