Hi all I am a new member to this site and hope I’m doing it right. Apologies if I come across as an ameteur, I am, so any advice is much appreciated. I will try my best to provide the correct information required to get the best response. 

I have a Lurcher, just over a year old, she is a whippet English bull terrier x collie greyhound. She is a brilliant pup, well behaved, good recall, most of the time and has serious prey drive despite her size. She chases everything that moves out on daytime walks, deer, rabbits, squirrels,  hares, you name it she’s on it. Despite her desire to chase she is yet to return with any animal, dead or alive. Sometimes I watch her and she’s so far up the creatures ass I get so excited and think this is it, she’s going to launch at it and finish the job off BUT I am always let down. She seems to love the chase but never makes the lunge!! What can I do to promote this, do I wait and be patient, will it come in time? She obviously doesn’t associate a running rabbit to a dead bleeding tasty treat? I want her to catch a daytime rabbit before I go out at night and train her on the lamp, is this a good idea or am I doing it the wrong way round? 

This is my first dog and I am obviously very inexperienced in this field but am willing to learn and want to follow it up coz I clearly have an intelligent dog who is keen to do the job but just doesn’t know how? I am always told what an amazingly well behaved dog she is despite her age so am doing something right. I live in Oxfordshire and have been trying to find someone to go out with lamping but to no avail, if anyone would be willing to help out in this department also that would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks guys

• Like 1

Lamp the dog firs try and find some where with dry stone walls or good fences so it is as easy as possible for the dog and get her as many easy killes as possible it's a lot easy on a lamp good windy dark night walk right up to some  squatters best thing in the world for a pup 

Edited by DavoH66
  • Like 2

Some get a bit dishearted but still chace, especially if they've been chasing since they was a pup with not the speed to catch,  which shows when they need that last bit to catch they still dont think they can do it. I would get it ot on the lamp and keep it off the daytime rabbits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your in the right part of the country to bring a dog on pal, plenty about, maybe knock a few doors and get yourself some permission first, then you could invite someone who knows their stuff out to show  you the ropes?dont be in no rush, just take your time?. Im sure you will land on your feet. Atvb 

• Like 5

Firstly remember the law.... The dog is only chasing rabbits mate ;)

Secondly plenty good advice already given. Take your time with the pup and give it some easy catches. A dummy covered with a rabbit skin is a good start. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, TomUridge said:

Hi all I am a new member to this site and hope I’m doing it right. Apologies if I come across as an ameteur, I am, so any advice is much appreciated. I will try my best to provide the correct information required to get the best response. 

I have a Lurcher, just over a year old, she is a whippet English bull terrier x collie greyhound. She is a brilliant pup, well behaved, good recall, most of the time and has serious prey drive despite her size. She chases everything that moves out on daytime walks, deer, rabbits, squirrels,  hares, you name it she’s on it. Despite her desire to chase she is yet to return with any animal, dead or alive. Sometimes I watch her and she’s so far up the creatures ass I get so excited and think this is it, she’s going to launch at it and finish the job off BUT I am always let down. She seems to love the chase but never makes the lunge!! What can I do to promote this, do I wait and be patient, will it come in time? She obviously doesn’t associate a running rabbit to a dead bleeding tasty treat? I want her to catch a daytime rabbit before I go out at night and train her on the lamp, is this a good idea or am I doing it the wrong way round? 

This is my first dog and I am obviously very inexperienced in this field but am willing to learn and want to follow it up coz I clearly have an intelligent dog who is keen to do the job but just doesn’t know how? I am always told what an amazingly well behaved dog she is despite her age so am doing something right. I live in Oxfordshire and have been trying to find someone to go out with lamping but to no avail, if anyone would be willing to help out in this department also that would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks guys

The facts are the breeding in your mutt is responsible for its run and catch rate,its a mutt thats bred to chase more than it catches.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Perfect time to start lamping just get out on your own you will be fine and sure the both of you will enjoy it espeacially when it nails its first rabbit. Nice thick hedges the rabbit can't get in a hurry. Get in between rabbit and home if possible make sure the dog has sited it and away you go.
In 4 years my dog has caught 3-4 day time rabbits unassisted best avoided for younger dogs to start

53 minutes ago, terryd said:

Perfect time to start lamping just get out on your own you will be fine and sure the both of you will enjoy it espeacially when it nails its first rabbit. Nice thick hedges the rabbit can't get in a hurry. Get in between rabbit and home if possible make sure the dog has sited it and away you go.
In 4 years my dog has caught 3-4 day time rabbits unassisted best avoided for younger dogs to start

good advice   above  , and not all rabbits are easy to catch anyway, over the  years , ive took old Bryn  to alot of places , and he caught great mopping them  up 30 a night . Then  were i used live  south staffs   you dog would do well to get a dozen in a night, the rabbits were like little rockets in to edge ,  some places are lamped alot they soon learn to piss off  lol .But in saying that  both of my 1xs    could pick rabbits up quite easy by 6 months old, some  young dogs get the knack quick and its natural , others   takes longer . Bloody  old Bryn now at 11 year old still  fast with his mouth , but lost his pace , shame they get old  .

• Like 1

Make sure the dog has seen the rabbit aswell before you slip him I've seen are lads slip there dog and it goes the wrong way because the lad has been to hyped up to see that first catch. Take your time when your out don't go slipping on every rabbit you see the dog has got to want to run and catch it but that dosnt mean you run every one