What would you do

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That be mine lol

There is no such thing as poor nowadays in Britain. There was poverty when I was young . But not anymore. If people are hungry now it’s because they can’t manage money properly. We are all caught in a

Id stop buying part worns! 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mackem said:

Eddie maher the security guard who nicked £1.2 million and did a runner to the states ended up working for a living after buying himself a house,living the American dream for a while,learning to fly,bear hunting and suchlike.

Fair one Mack but if all things remain equal and you won a million quid in the UK could you afford to not work again? I get that some will up sticks and move but most won't and even those that do most will return at some point. Even Ronnie Biggs got homesick!

What's the sweet spot where you could realistically check out from the rat race and live a life of complete comfort without ever having to work again?

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
1 minute ago, ChrisJones said:

Fair one Mack but if all things remain equal and you won a million quid in the UK could you afford to not work again? I get that some will up sticks and move but most won't and even those that do most will return at some point. Even Ronnie Biggs got homesick!

What's the sweet spot where you could realistically check out from the rat race and live a life of complete comfort without ever having to work again?

I am at the sweet spot mate :yes: I retired early,i did ok :thumbs:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mackem said:

I am at the sweet spot mate :yes: I retired early,i did ok :thumbs:

I'm not retired but I'm at the sweet spot alright! Still wondering what that magic number is for those that watch the draw thinking their troubles are going to mysteriously vanish when they read the number out! :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

My sweet spot would be paying off mine and Mrs depts then enough to get a deposit for a mortgage.  I hate renting 

That's a fair one WR and I understand that the monetary figure will be different for everyone that thinks about it long enough. I just think the days of winning a million quid and cashing out for a life of luxury are a historical fantasy based on the current cost of living. The real figure would be much higher and despite the presence of the lottery one would be much better off figuring out a better investment strategy! :thumbs:

21 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

That's a fair one WR and I understand that the monetary figure will be different for everyone that thinks about it long enough. I just think the days of winning a million quid and cashing out for a life of luxury are a historical fantasy based on the current cost of living. The real figure would be much higher and despite the presence of the lottery one would be much better off figuring out a better investment strategy! :thumbs:

Million is great but as you say never retire off it unless your a miser with your money . And Tbh if 1m drops in your lap most would splash on something extravegent.  Mrs would want a range rover I know it so we'd get a nice one of them . And why not , workings not so bad and how often in life do you get to choose anything from the rack by choice and not just what you can afford 

• Like 1

Remember a few years back the old Scottish couple won a 110million on the euro lotto. 

That's a fair wedge. 

In that position I'd automatically give 50 million away to various good causes change family and friends life's and the odd total strangers just to feel good.

Then I'd find a wee war somewhere and fund it just for my own amusement lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

They reckon you need 5 million in the bank nowadays to be a millionaire.

15 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

They reckon you need 5 million in the bank nowadays to be a millionaire.

I reckon in the UK with the cost of everything you'd need closer to ten. I'd need $4mUSD on today's rates to match my salary for the rest of my life and that doesn't count for inflation.

12 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

Million is great but as you say never retire off it unless your a miser with your money . And Tbh if 1m drops in your lap most would splash on something extravegent.  Mrs would want a range rover I know it so we'd get a nice one of them . And why not , workings not so bad and how often in life do you get to choose anything from the rack by choice and not just what you can afford 

The average person could retire on it with sensible investment. 5% on 1M is 50k.

1M you have a choice; extravagance for a couple years or freedom for life. No right answer of course.

100% if I landed 1M I'd quit my job and iron out the details when I could be arsed. More than 3M and I wouldn't even care about the details, LOL.

Edited by Born Hunter
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

on The average person could retire on it with sensible investment. 5% on 1M is 50k.

1M you have a choice; extravagance for a couple years or freedom for life. No right answer of course.

100% if I landed 1M I'd quit my job and iron out the details when I could be arsed. More than 3M and I wouldn't even care about the details, LOL.

I could manage on 2% on 1M easily

Edited by greg64