Called in my local and found he had no eley HV HP!

But wait! He did have one box of federal game show 22 HP HV ( I love an excuse to experiment) and some CCI velocitors.

And and and some federal 22 WMR 30grn Speer TNT's! Been wanting to try them for ages!

And and a cap holder for my caplocks.

But best of all....a tin of eley wasps, yes eley wasps, no not the new poor copies, eley's. Perfect for my little Chinese delight of an air rifle, twang bang and smoke, just like when I were a lad ?

IMG_20180811_170727.jpg

U.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, andyf said:

Them 'Velocitors' are the dogs, yes a bit 'cracky' but spot on and regular, way better than Stinger.

Luckily I picked up a 500 brick years ago at the CLA, still got a few boxes left.

Yes, I have used them before.

Actually, I have always rated CCI ammunition for decades now.

Ok so testing today was a  troublesome do for the 22 HV rounds.

A right to left 10mph+ gusting wind was going to hamper things.

The target was a 5" stone in earth to catch bullets missed. All shot at what looks like 100 yards offhand.

The federal game shoks put three out of five on the stone. This matches my favourite HV round eley HV HP very closely.

The CCI velocitors failed to connect! Alot of power but I would not be able to count on them for Charlie!

I shot some CCI at 50 yards or there abouts and they are useable although higher than I am comfortable with without some adjustments to the sights.

Here is a photo of recovered bullets with my favourite the eley's in the centre, they give consistent mushrooms. The federal on the left showing a trend in consistent expansion but the CCI showing a trend for inconsistent expansion (right).

IMG_20180812_133849.jpg

So there you go, I shall patiently wait until my path crosses upon some more eley's, they turn my rifle into a good genuine 100yarder.

It was still fun though.

Next up is the WMR rounds.

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

The federal WMR test is a good result.

Off hand shooting at 100 yards and 150 yds revealed good accuracy, not quite on par with the hornady offering but still very good.

Later I called a fox in. From 100 to 60 yds. It collapsed to the shot in a front facing shot.

IMG_20180812_202148.jpg

I wanted to see how deep the large light hollow points penetrated so performed an autopsy.

About 8" after entering the lower neck, smashing the collar bone and neck vertebrae. Interesting though was that the jacket had held onto lead and not separated. That's good!

IMG_20180812_203022.jpg

Better buy some more soon!

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting stuff Nathan. I tried some federal hv hp classic from livens. They were only about £3:summat a box if I remember right, and were really good. They haven’t had any in since though, I don’t think ?. Like you though, my preferred.22 hv was Eley, but they stopped making them for a few years, now they’re available again, but I haven’t seen any of the new ones for sale yet...rws hv hp are good though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Are the federal game shok the 31 grain or 38 grain Nathan? I’ve looked out for the 31 grain to try, but haven’t found any yet. The 38 grain hv’s we’re good so I’d like to try the 31 grain, if I could find some.....?

38grn.

I tried the 31grn hypers years ago and was not impressed but that was a different rifle!

• Like 1