Fox control in Australia

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pics from last weekend got a few and had a good weekend hunting, hounds worked well and had some good long runs. A couple of good ones in a den, a tree and a pile of timber    

Never thought much about spiders so I guess on the east coast or in the tropics it could be an issue in those areas, have had a young dog bitten by a white tail spider that caused her some grief not a

a bit of both plenty of terriers about doing den work and a lot of spotlighting and running dogs as well, fox a not native here and are classed as vermin, we have a lot of problems with them at l

Posted Images

On 11/08/2018 at 21:37, Marcos said:

a bit of both

plenty of terriers about doing den work and a lot of spotlighting and running dogs as well, fox a not native here and are classed as vermin, we have a lot of problems with them at lambing time. Numbers are very high we have approx. 50,000 Ha of state park and small hobby farmer/greenies adjoining and or near us so we have a big number travelling through. So it is all out control no letting them run. A $10 bounty is in place here so a lot of road runner shooters about as well. 

We hunt the place with teams through the creeks and swamps and I have JR and a couple of Borders for my own den work, on one of our other properties paddocks are around 5,000 Ha to 6,000 Ha it is running dogs and spotlighting and then terriers in the scrub and sand hill country 

My guess its 50% each way depends what rocks your boat, and everyone will have a different answer

Cheers

How do you get on with entering terriers with the snake and spider problems you must encounter?.

Never thought much about spiders so I guess on the east coast or in the tropics it could be an issue in those areas, have had a young dog bitten by a white tail spider that caused her some grief not a deadly spider but caused a bad reaction, snakes on the other hand are a real worry so from about September/October through  to April it is (for me anyway) a time for dogs to  rest up and do above ground hunting away from creeks and swamps where snakes hang about, chasing frogs and small mammals. The tiger snake is a bad snake as very aggressive and highly venomous, this fella was about 3 or so feet long and capable of killing you if he bit you.

23072008(015).thumb.jpg.0f718df8caa08b0e0bb3d64d05228ef0.jpg26072008(007).thumb.jpg.18779591244e6c1fe2996a5e361ac660.jpg

The snake was in a pile of old wire and posts that we pushed out of the way to get to this fella, in winter they hibernate and are not a problem but we woke him up and he was not happy. I have not lost a dog to a snake hunting in over 40 years, I have however lost some very good sheep dogs to them over the years.

Cheers

• Like 6

I guess its what you are used to, we don't worry about them really. You leave them alone they leave you alone pretty much and as I said I haven't lost a dog to snakes hunting foxes. But they do scare the crap out of you when you run into one!!  

10 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Good pics and posts Marcos, but F*ck that! I get the missus to get the spiders out the bath never mind out else?

I very nearly lost a dog in traffic when my misses ran into a wasp on our nightly walk last week 

just ran straight out into the toad with him on the lead , arms everywhere 

On 26/08/2018 at 10:06, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I very nearly lost a dog in traffic when my misses ran into a wasp on our nightly walk last week 

just ran straight out into the toad with him on the lead , arms everywhere 

Must have been a scary toad...... ??

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Im in Nsw we dig to terriers but unless on a river or creek bank its usually only 3 or 4 feet. We use our terriers and running dogs to hunt up most of the time, dealing with dens as we find them. Our terriers get as much work pushind foxes out of culverts hollow logs and trees as much as anything else.Aussie whip was spot on with gaining access to private property though being an older bloke that polite and respectful of others property it usually gets permition to surounding properties.

• Like 1