Fox control in Australia

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pics from last weekend got a few and had a good weekend hunting, hounds worked well and had some good long runs. A couple of good ones in a den, a tree and a pile of timber    

Never thought much about spiders so I guess on the east coast or in the tropics it could be an issue in those areas, have had a young dog bitten by a white tail spider that caused her some grief not a

a bit of both plenty of terriers about doing den work and a lot of spotlighting and running dogs as well, fox a not native here and are classed as vermin, we have a lot of problems with them at l

Posted Images

a bit of both

plenty of terriers about doing den work and a lot of spotlighting and running dogs as well, fox a not native here and are classed as vermin, we have a lot of problems with them at lambing time. Numbers are very high we have approx. 50,000 Ha of state park and small hobby farmer/greenies adjoining and or near us so we have a big number travelling through. So it is all out control no letting them run. A $10 bounty is in place here so a lot of road runner shooters about as well. 

We hunt the place with teams through the creeks and swamps and I have JR and a couple of Borders for my own den work, on one of our other properties paddocks are around 5,000 Ha to 6,000 Ha it is running dogs and spotlighting and then terriers in the scrub and sand hill country 

My guess its 50% each way depends what rocks your boat, and everyone will have a different answer

Cheers

• Like 6

We don't have a bounty in NSW but heaps of foxes.I use Russells to flush from dens,drains and blackberries.Not many around my way dig as ground is like cement in most places so patterdales are in small numbers.Use shotgun or running dogs to deal with them once out.

• Like 5
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 03:23, dillydog said:

What's not to like, millions of acres of land that's bouncing with foxes, sounds good to me. Even better a government that's not scoring points off your back trying to keep the great unwashed rent a mob happy 

Its not that good,its virtually impossible to gain access legally if you use dogs,due mainly to the high % of dickhead pig hunters ruining hunting for everyone by leaving dogs behind, cutting fences and the list goes on.Unless you know people its shit,thats in NSW anyway.I use the terriers on mine and the neighbours place mostly.

• Like 1

Plenty of good properties just need to do the right thing like all hunting and I find if hunting foxes people especially sheep cockies are good once you prove yourself or have good references, same every where I would think.

Apache we have the hunt club here this weekend so will put some pics up next week.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stormer said:

What's the deal with those pig hunters and leaving dogs behind?

Some pig hunters are genuine dog men and honest hunters,unfortunately pig hunting appeals to some young blokes who get into it for the macho image and have little care for their dogs and less for the farmers,which means the decent hunter has to suffer.These idiots are fly by nighters but stay long enough to wreck it for everyone.There are very few around my area who work terriers or running dogs,the few that do are serious dogmen.This is in western NSW.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Some pig hunters are genuine dog men and honest hunters,unfortunately pig hunting appeals to some young blokes who get into it for the macho image and have little care for their dogs and less for the farmers,which means the decent hunter has to suffer.These idiots are fly by nighters but stay long enough to wreck it for everyone.There are very few around my area who work terriers or running dogs,the few that do are serious dogmen.This is in western NSW.

so really , by the sound of it, even though its a massive country  with plenty of quarry to go at  ,   pigs, foxes,rabbits,  and no hunting  ban with dogs  like over here,  you still got the same prob there,  as here  , it hard to get permission  working dogs  legally  , plus plenty things to kill you and dogs  = snakes , spiders , crocs,  sharks ,  lol  . on the news now  you got a  drought over there worst on record . i had uncle and his family  move out there in the 70s , think my  one  cousin  still left out  , mind you ive liked a warm climate  to live in , this 2 months hot weather over here we had deff helped my arthritis / bad back  .

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Is all land privately owned or do you have nation parks/land for public hunting?