Aly bedding a T3

50 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I’ll reserve the term excellent for products that don’t require fettling off the shelf but yeah they are fine for a grand I guess. I’m not slagging tikka, I want to keep the rifle. Just a few things I personally think can be improved without significant expense. Like all the plasticy bits for a start.

ill see what I can do with your suggestion. It’s elegant in its simplicity which suits me. Lol. I assume you mean to shim the receiver above the recoil lug? Rather than the lug itself?

Where ever you can or it's needed.

I if possible would build the stock to the action.

Although it is a good stiff receiver do try to not cause a high point or spot.

The recoil lug is purely for recoil, it doesn't matter if it doesn't bottom out in the inletting, so I would shim out any gap in the direction of recoil.

Sorry if I sound condescending, I am not being.

I too go for the simple fixes too, some get all tied up about these things, which is fine but not for me if I can help it.

U.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Where ever you can or it's needed.

I if possible would build the stock to the action.

Although it is a good stiff receiver do try to not cause a high point or spot.

The recoil lug is purely for recoil, it doesn't matter if it doesn't bottom out in the inletting, so I would shim out any gap in the direction of recoil.

Sorry if I sound condescending, I am not being.

I too go for the simple fixes too, some get all tied up about these things, which is fine but not for me if I can help it.

U.

Not condescending at all. Everyone has been helpful. Tikka has a strong following and I'm a bit critical of them so I expect a little resistance. That's fine.

Cheers I'll have a look.

• 1 year later...
On 10/08/2018 at 15:30, Born Hunter said:

I've never been much happy with how well my rifle is seated in my stock. It had a tiny bit of play in the production stock and still has a tiny bit of play in this aftermarket stock. Can't remember the stock makers name, it was about 300 quid off ebay and is simply wood.

Which brings me to my question. What are my options for a utterly rock solid seating of the rifle in the stock? IMO the tikka system of securing the stock is a bit lacking.

I've seen stuff like this, which looks more robust. Any other options folks?

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

PS, I am not a anorak when it comes to firearms. It's a tool that I expect to work and I take no pleasure in f***ing about tinkering with them. So I need simple and effective! LOL

Update for this. I was recently f***ing about setting the seating depth for some new reloads and noticed the action was completely loose! The trigger guard bolts had worked loose. Finally sick of this nonsense I bought an aly aftermarket one and just fitted it. You can’t fully tighten the bolts with the factory plastic one because it warps it and jams the mag from releasing. This aly one can be cranked up and takes all the movement out of the action. Not shot it yet but I’d be surprised if it makes things worse. Hundred quid well spent but which shouldn’t be necessary on a 1000 quid tool!

Aly guard fitted, plastic guard underneath.

D39357E2-72AC-446E-9093-9CA2A87C2C5C.jpeg

• Like 1