Aly bedding a T3

I've never been much happy with how well my rifle is seated in my stock. It had a tiny bit of play in the production stock and still has a tiny bit of play in this aftermarket stock. Can't remember the stock makers name, it was about 300 quid off ebay and is simply wood.

Which brings me to my question. What are my options for a utterly rock solid seating of the rifle in the stock? IMO the tikka system of securing the stock is a bit lacking.

I've seen stuff like this, which looks more robust. Any other options folks?

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

PS, I am not a anorak when it comes to firearms. It's a tool that I expect to work and I take no pleasure in f***ing about tinkering with them. So I need simple and effective! LOL

27 minutes ago, walshie said:

Is it a Boyds stock? No idea about bedding though as mine was always ok from standard. 

No not boyds. To many import issues with buying from them. It’s an english hand made thing. Just can’t remember the chaps name.

19 minutes ago, riohog said:

glass bedding  

It’s an option I guess. But even then I’m still not a huge fan of how underengineered the bolts etc are imo.

Edited by Born Hunter
12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

No not boyds. To many import issues with buying from them. It’s an english hand made thing. Just can’t remember the chaps name.

It’s an option I guess. But even then I’m still not a huge fan of how underengineered the bolts etc are imo.

you cant make a silk   purse          from a sows ear pal , .but ifthere isany chance of the metalwork moving on the bed  it needs sorting the issue with wood is  ;;it can move .wet/dry  hot /cold conditons maybe a synthetic stock correctly bedded is a good option !!

6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I've never been much happy with how well my rifle is seated in my stock. It had a tiny bit of play in the production stock and still has a tiny bit of play.

》》》》 But is the rifle accurate. Does the cartridge bullet combo suit the rifle? 《《《《

Which brings me to my question. What are my options for a utterly rock solid seating of the rifle in the stock? IMO the tikka system of securing the stock is a bit lacking.

》》》 upon what basis do you think this?  Sako is a very good make. What makes you think that putting a different stock on it will make it more accurate ?《《《

PS, I am not a anorak when it comes to firearms. It's a tool that I expect to work and I take no pleasure in f***ing about tinkering with them. So I need simple and effective! LOL

I glass bedded my 223 and it did the required job. The gun was originally a free floating barrel and was ok but I found that when I  fitted a large cable tie around the barrel and forend and tightened it up  the group tightened up. So I had a read up on how to glass bed and proceeded to strip it all out and clean it out and do the job. I did it so that when it was all cured out, I could tighten the barrel down to make it solid and under tension.    with the load that I developed, the rifle and bullet combination is very accurate but on the other hand my target rifle is super accurate and that is totally free floating.

14 hours ago, riohog said:

you cant make a silk   purse          from a sows ear pal , .but ifthere isany chance of the metalwork moving on the bed  it needs sorting the issue with wood is  ;;it can move .wet/dry  hot /cold conditons maybe a synthetic stock correctly bedded is a good option !!

Very true and understood mate but that isn't the stocks fault in this case i dont think. Imo the t3 action itself is bollocks. I've had two stocks and both had creep. The t3 has a plastic trigger guard / mag well thing which the bolts to secure the action to the stock go through. If you crank these bolts up this shitty bit of plastic warps.

Also the recoil lug seems like a shitty design feature to me.

Environmental conditions don't seem a big deal for me, just this shitty fit.

I have considered a '3rd' stock, lol, but if that needs bedding then might as well just get this one bedded right?

Cheers

》》》》 But is the rifle accurate. Does the cartridge bullet combo suit the rifle? 《《《《

Well enough. This is primarily an annoyance.

》》》 upon what basis do you think this?  Sako is a very good make. What makes you think that putting a different stock on it will make it more accurate ?《《《

Reasons above. Sako engineering is brilliant in my experience. Tikka is 'economy'. Again, this is not driven by accuracy.

10 hours ago, Meece said:

I glass bedded my 223 and it did the required job. The gun was originally a free floating barrel and was ok but I found that when I  fitted a large cable tie around the barrel and forend and tightened it up  the group tightened up. So I had a read up on how to glass bed and proceeded to strip it all out and clean it out and do the job. I did it so that when it was all cured out, I could tighten the barrel down to make it solid and under tension.    with the load that I developed, the rifle and bullet combination is very accurate but on the other hand my target rifle is super accurate and that is totally free floating.

Another glass bedding proponent! Is it much of a faff? Something any gun Smith can do? I'll make a pigs ear of it. Lol

Cheers

Edited by Born Hunter
6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

The t3 has a plastic trigger guard / mag well thing which the bolts to secure the action to the stock go through. If you crank these bolts up this shitty bit of plastic warps.

This made me remember the after market aly trigger gaurds. I wonder if that's the solution? Crank up the bolts without warping? Anyone?

7 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Well enough. This is primarily an annoyance.d

Reasons above. Sako engineering is brilliant in my experience. Tikka is 'economy'. Again, this is not driven by accuracy.

Another glass bedding proponent! Is it much of a faff? Something any gun Smith can do? I'll make a pigs ear of it. Lol

Cheers

You got to think about why you are thinking of doing something like this. Just doing stuff doesn't always give you a definite solution. It could be that an action creates different problems. Bedding  a barrel doesn't guarantee that the rifle will shoot better. And as to doing the job it all depends on your technical ability. If it shoots straight, I'd leave it alone and get out shooting the thing.

18 minutes ago, Meece said:

You got to think about why you are thinking of doing something like this. Just doing stuff doesn't always give you a definite solution. It could be that an action creates different problems. Bedding  a barrel doesn't guarantee that the rifle will shoot better. And as to doing the job it all depends on your technical ability. If it shoots straight, I'd leave it alone and get out shooting the thing.

I’ve shot it plenty and after a few years it still pisses me off. Lol

im fixing it one way or another

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Tikka are excellent rifles.

Just build up the recoil lug mortise in the stock with a suitable shim material.

U.

I’ll reserve the term excellent for products that don’t require fettling off the shelf but yeah they are fine for a grand I guess. I’m not slagging tikka, I want to keep the rifle. Just a few things I personally think can be improved without significant expense. Like all the plasticy bits for a start.

ill see what I can do with your suggestion. It’s elegant in its simplicity which suits me. Lol. I assume you mean to shim the receiver above the recoil lug? Rather than the lug itself?