Working Glens

2 hours ago, Setinstone said:

Yeah fair point - year was a bit harsh!

was targeted more at the job-shites posting 

using the Glen for the whole thing is more sporting in my opinion and means I can have more kennel space for glens as I don’t need to dig to terrier 

I’m into glens not digging to a terrier then letting the glens work for 30secs 

each to their own 

Thats great and good on ye,but your dogs are being used in an artificially created den,and to me thats not a test,the depth is known,before the dog is entered,...the route in and out is known with no surprises along the way...in my opinion you could never be invited out to hunt in a natural way as your dogs may be (and proper glens usually are) a little too large to manouver and FIT  through the tubes to reach the game..this then goes back to the fact they werent bred to be dug to,they were bred as a draw dog,a vermin killer,an "end of dig dog"... by those that knew their dogs...

• Like 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I take it this is more for pest control than sport,to me thats completely alien,and is a step away from real working conditions,ie the natural home of the animal.As for men working their animals at th

Thought I’d show what I ended up with. He’ll be 3 in may. He’s mostly a pet but I’ve done a few things with him and he did well. Nothing to write home about yet though.  Pretty happy with him 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jiggy said:

You have been in my kitchen with my half glen and it was going to lick you to death. Had a good few digs over her but when it came to the crunch then no she wasn't a complete digging dog. I got I attached to her and she sleeps at my feet every night. I've culled far better but for some reason she doesn't leave my side. Sleeps on my feet and waits with her head on her paws until I come home 

And will be again soon enough lol

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Thats great and good on ye,but your dogs are being used in an artificially created den,and to me thats not a test,the depth is known,before the dog is entered,...the route in and out is known with no surprises along the way...in my opinion you could never be invited out to hunt in a natural way as your dogs may be (and proper glens usually are) a little too large to manouver and FIT  through the tubes to reach the game..this then goes back to the fact they werent bred to be dug to,they were bred as a draw dog,a vermin killer,an "end of dig dog"... by those that knew their dogs...

I thought they came about due to the thalidomide drugs the expectant wheaten mother’s were taking ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2019 at 07:47, IV Ecosse said:

I find it just as hilarious that you think just because it’s a “terrier” it’s meant to work a natural earth 

why would a draw dog work a natural earth? Some glens heads aren’t spanable let alone their bodies 

Why would you need a draw dog it’s illegal ?? And why would you want a terrier for digging that can’t fit to ground just to work in artificial sets 

• 7 months later...

Finally got me a glen after all these years. I’ve had him for a couple months now. He is 5 months old. He comes from a kennel here in the states. He’s a pet first, worker second. So no hardcore expectations on my part. So far couldn’t be happier with this little guy. He has more fire in his belly thus far then pups I’ve had in the past from working kennels. Time will tell. Most important he fits in great with my 6 year old son. Biggest issue is he’s wanting to kill my wife’s cats already.  We going to see how good a trainer I am if I’m able to break him from the family cats but still have him as a game getter. Wish me Luck. :)

• Like 3

iv only ever seen one glen and that a pet owned by a woman that gets in our local , but along with a border there the most hideous out cross iv ever seen with a Bedlington ? give me a fell anyday ? then again you only gota see the expert on beddy x glens  and every other breed to see what I mean ? maybe its a hippy thing ? lol

Initially drawn to them by their looks. Love that low slung, powerful look. Then started researching the breed and the “iron fist in a velvet glove” temperament was very appealing to me. I’ve had bulldogs and terriers that ran pretty hot all the time. Not my cup of tea anymore. To each their own. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, hoosier said:

Thought I’d show what I ended up with. He’ll be 3 in may. He’s mostly a pet but I’ve done a few things with him and he did well. Nothing to write home about yet though.  Pretty happy with him 

3CD0FF41-4E4D-403F-98A5-C1A6C07D57EF.jpeg

Nice glen mate ?