Working Glens

8 hours ago, IV Ecosse said:

Have you even ran a proper decent artificial? Nope - didn’t think so

commenting on something you know nothing about 

I can guarantee once I lift the gates on my sets that they will hold - dogs get work, people pay to shoot, land owners get what they want 

sit down little boy and go play pretend hunter with your boyfriends 

Are you fae Perth?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I take it this is more for pest control than sport,to me thats completely alien,and is a step away from real working conditions,ie the natural home of the animal.As for men working their animals at th

Thought I’d show what I ended up with. He’ll be 3 in may. He’s mostly a pet but I’ve done a few things with him and he did well. Nothing to write home about yet though.  Pretty happy with him 

Posted Images

22 hours ago, IV Ecosse said:

This forum does attract some total dross - posting little faces rather than issuing an opinion.

i take it “rabbit hunter” & “w.katchum” both have working bred glens?

glens have large bodies and big heads, many (not all) natural earths are to small for them, trust me - if your a total twat you could just use em as a draw dog - probably what you pair would do tbh 

an artificial is a great way for a glen to earn its keep - plus it’s an easy way to get them in front of stuff when younger 

you idiots need to realise the Glen was never a dog to be dug too - they are a trial dog! Have you ever seen a Glen once it’s been “on game” around another dog? Not what you want around a days digging that’s for sure 

so how does this artificial earth work ,ive never came across one ,this i assume is a series of tunnels constructed of timber ? and at the end is a cage ? with what inside it? and the point of this exercise is to see which dog can get to the caged quarry the fastest ,or is it to see which dog will travel it? its a genuine enquiry ,,as ive no experience with an artificial...

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, IV Ecosse said:

This forum does attract some total dross - posting little faces rather than issuing an opinion.

glens have large bodies and big heads, many (not all) natural earths are to small for them, trust me - if your a total twat you could just use em as a draw dog - probably what you pair would do tbh 

an artificial is a great way for a glen to earn its keep - plus it’s an easy way to get them in front of stuff when younger 

you idiots need to realise the Glen was never a dog to be dug too - they are a trial dog! Have you ever seen a Glen once it’s been “on game” around another dog? Not what you want around a days digging that’s for sure 

wow.....?

what a f***ing knobber?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, IV Ecosse said:

So it's just a rarer version of the Wheaton and in order to get it any work you have to do illegally and your calling lads idiots if I have crossed wires I apologise 

8 hours ago, dogmandont said:

A terrier that can’t work natural earths. ???????. About as useful as a chocolate fire guard. 

I find it just as hilarious that you think just because it’s a “terrier” it’s meant to work a natural earth 

why would a draw dog work a natural earth? Some glens heads aren’t spanable let alone their bodies 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jigsaw said:

so how does this artificial earth work ,ive never came across one ,this i assume is a series of tunnels constructed of timber ? and at the end is a cage ? with what inside it? and the point of this exercise is to see which dog can get to the caged quarry the fastest ,or is it to see which dog will travel it? its a genuine enquiry ,,as ive no experience with an artificial...

Your thinking of the eastern boys and their jagd/teckle setups - couldn’t be further from that. That is not an artificial earth 

artificial earth is actually dug into the earth, approx 1.5/2ft deep, minimum 2 entries/exits and one chamber 

west facing, good drainage, water source nearby, on a slight slope, dog-leg angle on tunnels to minimise draft, chamber doesn’t have to be massive 

tunnels lined with field stone and small slabs over the top (I put plastic feed bags over slabs Before filing in 

chamber lined with breeze blocks and big old style concrete slab as top 

all internal walls lined with stone/blocks  to stop natural digging of stop ends or further tubes 

the guy that showed me how to make em said the idea was to make em like a five star hotel instead of their usual drafty, damp, one bedroom flat 

once they all filled in apart form entires/exit holes they should be no sign of em 

only other thing I do is set bigger stones at entrances to make a narrower  entrance to try and make it fox only if decided by land owner otherwise all are welcome 

Some perms I remove stones and get iron grid (made by blackie) hammered in over off season

somenstay open all year round depending on land owner

takes Half a day to make depending on ground and access for slabs etc. 

4 sites with 3-4 artificials at each, 2 sites one week, visit other two sites following week 

Some yield better than others which input down to location. I tend to find a double chamber with 3 in/outs works the best 

This works for me and is what I do each to their own. 

bolts can me netted or shot any game contacted will usually be drawn out dispatched or near enough 

remember not to accidentally set a grid on exits before popping in your Glen though, it blocks the escape - if you get my drift 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take it this is more for pest control than sport,to me thats completely alien,and is a step away from real working conditions,ie the natural home of the animal.As for men working their animals at the end of the dig being classed as twats,its a bit harsh,as those men in the past created and shaped the dogs into the form they are today ....i attended the trials as a very young man,i met some of the creators and owners of the dogs ,and twats isnt the discription id give of them..

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yeah fair point - year was a bit harsh!

was targeted more at the job-shites posting 

using the Glen for the whole thing is more sporting in my opinion and means I can have more kennel space for glens as I don’t need to dig to terrier 

I’m into glens not digging to a terrier then letting the glens work for 30secs 

each to their own 

2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

I take it this is more for pest control than sport,to me thats completely alien,and is a step away from real working conditions,ie the natural home of the animal.As for men working their animals at the end of the dig being classed as twats,its a bit harsh,as those men in the past created and shaped the dogs into the form they are today ....i attended the trials as a very young man,i met some of the creators and owners of the dogs ,and twats isnt the discription id give of them..

You have been in my kitchen with my half glen and it was going to lick you to death. Had a good few digs over her but when it came to the crunch then no she wasn't a complete digging dog. I got I attached to her and she sleeps at my feet every night. I've culled far better but for some reason she doesn't leave my side. Sleeps on my feet and waits with her head on her paws until I come home 

• Like 1
On 21/02/2019 at 21:45, IV Ecosse said:

What you “haha” ing at rabbit hunter?

Just seen this.

I was ‘ha ha’ ing as I assumed you were being sarcastic, obviously not? What I found funny was because I’ve seen dogs be piss poor in earths and then look like world beaters in an artificial, assuming you were of the same opinion, and that’s why I found it funny.

I’m no keyboard hunter or warrior, I’m out more than most throughout the season, don’t worry about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1