Working Glens

Personally I think the working Glen is a thing of the past! 

Now there is the odd one or two here and there doing a bit, but I say you could count on one hand the ones that are up to a high working standard!

Is there anyone out there with a kennel full of working Glens?? I'd love to see it..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I take it this is more for pest control than sport,to me thats completely alien,and is a step away from real working conditions,ie the natural home of the animal.As for men working their animals at th

Thought I’d show what I ended up with. He’ll be 3 in may. He’s mostly a pet but I’ve done a few things with him and he did well. Nothing to write home about yet though.  Pretty happy with him 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, smithwicks said:

Personally I think the working Glen is a thing of the past! 

Now there is the odd one or two here and there doing a bit, but I say you could count on one hand the ones that are up to a high working standard!

Is there anyone out there with a kennel full of working Glens?? I'd love to see it..

is there anyone with a pair of genuine working glens? id love to see that ,i have looked andd searched hard and have failed to find anyone so far 

4 hours ago, jigsaw said:

is there anyone with a pair of genuine working glens? id love to see that ,i have looked andd searched hard and have failed to find anyone so far 

I do know of a man who has bred a litter from two dogs he owns but I can't comment on them as I've not seen them work! I hope they work for him?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 14/11/2018 at 07:45, jigsaw said:

They are out there - I was offered a working bitch about a year & 1/2 ago

£1000 was the price - didn’t have the cash 

11 minutes ago, IV Ecosse said:

They are out there - I was offered a working bitch about a year & 1/2 ago

£1000 was the price - didn’t have the cash 

they can shove it sideways ,i wouldnt give anyone that kind of money for a dog ,its the ruination of the breeds ....the working staffs years ago were sold to anyone who had the cash to be able to afford them ,those who bought hadnt the best interests of the breed at heart ,it was bought as an investment,and then pups churned out later on..and the proof is the rarity of the working staff today...theres still a few about held by breeders with the best intentions......ive met a man who has the breeds interest at heart ,i hope i can deal with him in the near future

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 4

£1000 for a 3 yr old working bitch seemed fair - I got his purchase price confirmed from breeder (in Ireland) and also how much he spent getting dog shipped over - then upkeep for 3yrs, and the fact she was working 

Didnt seem unreasonable - the guy defo had best interest in mind! I don’t think even if you did churn pups out you’d have that much buyers - it’s not as if the terrier lads can dig to them. 

But over all I agree £1000 is a hefty chunk for a working dog 

3 minutes ago, IV Ecosse said:

Does he use them in artificials?

I've seen the gfather work some and I ain't an old boy. After he died the uncle got hands on em and just sold em for fxxking money but anyway I have seen em to ground and can remember them always been solid it would have took some stuff ta move em but they where not let into small tight places so ta speak.

• Like 2

This forum does attract some total dross - posting little faces rather than issuing an opinion.

i take it “rabbit hunter” & “w.katchum” both have working bred glens?

glens have large bodies and big heads, many (not all) natural earths are to small for them, trust me - if your a total twat you could just use em as a draw dog - probably what you pair would do tbh 

an artificial is a great way for a glen to earn its keep - plus it’s an easy way to get them in front of stuff when younger 

you idiots need to realise the Glen was never a dog to be dug too - they are a trial dog! Have you ever seen a Glen once it’s been “on game” around another dog? Not what you want around a days digging that’s for sure 

Edited by IV Ecosse
  • Haha 1

Have you even ran a proper decent artificial? Nope - didn’t think so

commenting on something you know nothing about 

I can guarantee once I lift the gates on my sets that they will hold - dogs get work, people pay to shoot, land owners get what they want 

sit down little boy and go play pretend hunter with your boyfriends