Working Glens

a glen is just a wheaten with the dwarfism gene, i suspect wheaten breeders who have inbred too heavily have probably threw the odd glen types in litters,  ive had dandie dimond types in a litter of inbred bedlingtons, perfectly healthy, normal head and body size but with the short legs, front ones turned out. a fair few breeds have came about the same way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I take it this is more for pest control than sport,to me thats completely alien,and is a step away from real working conditions,ie the natural home of the animal.As for men working their animals at th

Thought I’d show what I ended up with. He’ll be 3 in may. He’s mostly a pet but I’ve done a few things with him and he did well. Nothing to write home about yet though.  Pretty happy with him 

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, lawrence said:

a glen is just a wheaten with the dwarfism gene, i suspect wheaten breeders who have inbred too heavily have probably threw the odd glen types in litters,  ive had dandie dimond types in a litter of inbred bedlingtons, perfectly healthy, normal head and body size but with the short legs, front ones turned out. a fair few breeds have came about the same way.

I can get on board with that. Probably some other stuff thrown in the pot as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lusitano said:

Very few working glens about... hard to find anyone still working them. There has been glen types in wheaten litters as there has been wheaten types in glen litters even in recent times...

I was a Tommy Cullen's show a few years ago and there was a fella with a glen that I would of swore was a wheaten 

I don’t think there is an existing working line of glens left but there is the odd gent still working the odd one or 2... 

It’s important to remember that originally glens we’re not as low on the leg as they are today, there was a much smaller size difference between wheatens and glens when both breeds were recognised by the KC in the 30’s. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lusitano said:

I don’t think there is an existing working line of glens left but there is the odd gent still working the odd one or 2... 

It’s important to remember that originally glens we’re not as low on the leg as they are today, there was a much smaller size difference between wheatens and glens when both breeds were recognised by the KC in the 30’s. 

The dog I posted above was 50lb -and had littermates with long legs.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lusitano said:

That seems to be the case. I’ll find a few guys here and there that keep bulldogs and other terriers etc that will have one or two Glens that work as well. When I start asking questions I get stonewalled. ? Can’t blame them. If the line isn’t there, it isn’t there. 

Glens bred from dunphys stuff in the 80s are still there In small numbers I hunt with a few every single season they’re a dying breed though I’m not sure about Wheaton’s with a dwarf gene as my friend has kept bred and worked Wheaton’s for 40 odd years and I’ve never seen a pup that looks like a proper glen 

35 minutes ago, aaron01 said:

Glens bred from dunphys stuff in the 80s are still there In small numbers I hunt with a few every single season they’re a dying breed though I’m not sure about Wheaton’s with a dwarf gene as my friend has kept bred and worked Wheaton’s for 40 odd years and I’ve never seen a pup that looks like a proper glen 

I think tis a dominant gene (dwarfism )-so if it's not there in the first place it wouldn't come out .what i saw of the crossbred ones i bred would say the same,-2 were bred off long legged 1 threw long legged pups and short legged one threw short legged pups (only saw photos of them though )

• Like 1