What the heck?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

make ye laugh ,,if a cat kills a deer its nature ,if a dog takes a deer its a big fine and the possibility of jail lol

Not sure if that is a mistaken inference by the author. Deer threaten ground nesting birds because they browse the bottom out of woods and hedges, removing the protective cover for them which then lea

They never left us??

Posted Images

Funny how no one has picked up on the fact that the director for Scottish natural heritage in the article is called Ronald McDonald I,m suspecting an alternative reason for the Lynx program now, like the mcmuntjak burger or the big bambi with fry,s?

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/sheep/exclusive-sheep-farmer-speaks-out-over-horrific-lynx-attack

I just don't see that any benefit of releasing them can possibly outweigh the negative aspects!   They certainly do not often attack people, but we all know they will at some point, and what about children and pets, let alone assorted livestock as above!

:hmm:

3 hours ago, Deker said:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/sheep/exclusive-sheep-farmer-speaks-out-over-horrific-lynx-attack

I just don't see that any benefit of releasing them can possibly outweigh the negative aspects!   They certainly do not often attack people, but we all know they will at some point, and what about children and pets, let alone assorted livestock as above!

:hmm:

That is a bred in captivity escaped animal and offers no comparison to a wild Lynx, your also reading an article from the farmers weekly that are completely biased and have opposed the Lynx since it was first talked about, they were also happy to pin every single dead sheep on that Lynx without a scrap of evidence, I don't think there has ever been a Lynx attack on a person anywere in the world and apart from one country they average 0.4 sheep per year per Lynx, on one stretch of road on the brecons they loose around 30 a year but can't see us stopping the traffic, they are a small game hunter mostly taking birds,rabbits and the like upto an odd deer, I think the uk needs an abundant alpha predator after all they are native and we have systematically wiped them out along with the Bears and wolves and I can't see fox,s and badgers tackling the deer epidemic that's sweeping the country, so bring on the Lynx ?

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

That is a bred in captivity escaped animal and offers no comparison to a wild Lynx, your also reading an article from the farmers weekly that are completely biased and have opposed the Lynx since it was first talked about, they were also happy to pin every single dead sheep on that Lynx without a scrap of evidence, I don't think there has ever been a Lynx attack on a person anywere in the world and apart from one country they average 0.4 sheep per year per Lynx, on one stretch of road on the brecons they loose around 30 a year but can't see us stopping the traffic, they are a small game hunter mostly taking birds,rabbits and the like upto an odd deer, I think the uk needs an abundant alpha predator after all they are native and we have systematically wiped them out along with the Bears and wolves and I can't see fox,s and badgers tackling the deer epidemic that's sweeping the country, so bring on the Lynx ?

How many deer tho? Can't see them making major difference to numbers 

Nor me if I,m honest, the muntjac may be a different  matter and though they are not everywhere at the moment there spread is pretty epic, almost everyone I catch on camera has a youngster in tow or looks pregnant, and in the last 3/4 years they have spread from the Cotswolds right down to the suburbs of Bristol, but it's surprising how many so called hunters I talk to local who still have,nt seen one, one more thing and I,m not a biologist by any stretch of the imagination but I think that deer need to have predators to keep them moving as they tend to overgraze certain areas, like the ones you see in the same field at the same time every day on the way to work, a cat even just passing through would move them around a bit avoiding over grazing, ?? 

Edited by Greyman
1 minute ago, ChrisJones said:

What positive can be drawn from reintroducing a species that hasn't been here for over a millennia? What realistic ecological impact will it have?

They say deer numbers.  But im sure shooting the deer would probably be a better idea 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

They say deer numbers.  But im sure shooting the deer would probably be a better idea 

I'm sure it would play a factor but surely this is the equivalent of introducing a non-native species into a foreign eco-system? I get that they were here once but the time span is so long you have to wonder what the point is and what the true cost of reintroduction will be. They can't manage the species that are here already. Just look at Salford.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

What positive can be drawn from reintroducing a species that hasn't been here for over a millennia? What realistic ecological impact will it have?

None just another crack pot idea notice it's always wolves and wild boar lynx etc etc they want to dump in the countryside. 

As you said couldn't give a f**k about the other species already here or introducing trees or plants.

Lot of bollocks imo 

• Like 1