Locator, the best

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The law states they mustn't use a locator,  our law says we must, it's not about who's doing it right, it's about jumping through hoops to hang on to what we've got left. Given a choice I'd alway

As I interprate the rules in France, collars can be used, but not in the pursuit of hunting, only in the job of finding a lost terrier. ie: you cant search for a dog to be able to dig it for hunting.

Or perhaps the French aren't dull enough to put marked up dogs on the net ! Why not have the best of both worlds, use a collar but have a time limit before it's deemed necessary to locate it for

I dont use locator s when i am working rockpiles .. i no a few lads who have worked ther dogs with collers on in past and have had ther dog hung with the coller...90 pecent of piles you cannot dig as ther too deep ... i have dug many piles to with just listening to the sound of your terrier baying an dug right on top of them... folk say am mad putting dogs in them with no collers but they have never worked rocks ... but each to ther own..

Edited by ziggy
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
On 09/08/2018 at 21:58, Blaise said:

Speak about the advantages of locator, happiness and great values of e-hunting.

(And leave this b*****d of french who is definitely unable to understand what hunting badger mean)

On 10/08/2018 at 20:08, dillydog said:

Or perhaps the French aren't dull enough to put marked up dogs on the net !

Why not have the best of both worlds, use a collar but have a time limit before it's deemed necessary to locate it for a rescue ?  That way you could keep your tradition alive and have the best interest of the terrier at heart too.

As I interprate the rules in France, collars can be used, but not in the pursuit of hunting, only in the job of finding a lost terrier. ie: you cant search for a dog to be able to dig it for hunting. But when you have lost your dog, you can switch on the finder to retrieve your dog. IMO this keeps the fieldcraft alive of listening.finding a dog at work without being lazy and switching on an electronic device. Apparently it was the french who voted against the use of electronic collars for HUNTING. But ok for RESCUING.

On 10/08/2018 at 21:53, dogmandont said:

I’d say one of the main reasons the French can still do what they do is because of the tradition in all its parts and if you start changing it where do you stop, I say fairplay to them and long my it continue.

Also the country has a strong sense of solidarity.  Just look at what happens when the farmers arent happy for an example. & they are supported. 

On 11/08/2018 at 06:19, Mooching Celt said:

You can look at it another way that due to idiots f***ing things up for everyone this side of the channel by total unprofesionalism......then look at the profesional way they go about their business on their side. It’s maybe the same idiots trying to tell them they are doing it wrong

hmmm maybe swap those tongs for a bullx

To hunt in France you need a permit which you study and sit practical & theoretic tests for, its possible to loose this and get a ban!. To hunt badgers you need to get a special license, 1st is temporary then 2nd is longer but still need renewing, which includes inspections etc. This probably thins out the messers and idiots a fair bit. What do you need to hunt in the U.K.? 

On 11/08/2018 at 12:41, baker boy said:

Lets turn this around, would anyone forego the use of locators if it meant the reintroduction of licenced badger digging in the uk, just a yes or no, no need for it'll never happen etc

I dont see any logic in that. & I dont think anyone is that naive to think that would ever been an offer on the table.

23 hours ago, fireman said:

I'd never enter a terrier at any time in any hole of any kind on purpose without a locator on it.....

Me neither, but I find my dog with my ear and with a bar. Digging is a communal thing in France, sometimes its like a mini convoy on the way to an oldskool rave, 15 vehicules, vans cars 4x4s, going round checking places where you might find if someone hasnt done their homework. People come out of their houses to look! Its a team game. Picnic baskets come out, you can hear corks being popped, the people who dug probably dont have to backfill as the spectators will lend a hand. Friendships are made. Very social, sometimes too! LOL. Thats the generalisation. The comparison to the U.K. is chalk and cheese. If you cherry picked the best of both worlds, ie the technology, the dogs, the social, the support, the invites, the atmosphere, the welcome, the tradition, the respect & hopefully the longevity. Youd have painted the perfect picture, but as we all know.. lifes not quite like that. So we adapt. Ive been adapting since 2003 having a little pause from the digging at the moment due to priorities, but I will be back at it. The best days of my life have been days in the woods surrounded by terriers pegged out & being amongst good sporting people. 

Blaise & the people before him have fought hard to keep this noble sport alive. They have my utmost respect.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
57 minutes ago, Waz said:

As I interprate the rules in France, collars can be used, but not in the pursuit of hunting, only in the job of finding a lost terrier. ie: you cant search for a dog to be able to dig it for hunting. But when you have lost your dog, you can switch on the finder to retrieve your dog. IMO this keeps the fieldcraft alive of listening.finding a dog at work without being lazy and switching on an electronic device. Apparently it was the french who voted against the use of electronic collars for HUNTING. But ok for RESCUING.

Also the country has a strong sense of solidarity.  Just look at what happens when the farmers arent happy for an example. & they are supported. 

To hunt in France you need a permit which you study and sit practical & theoretic tests for, its possible to loose this and get a ban!. To hunt badgers you need to get a special license, 1st is temporary then 2nd is longer but still need renewing, which includes inspections etc. This probably thins out the messers and idiots a fair bit. What do you need to hunt in the U.K.? 

I dont see any logic in that. & I dont think anyone is that naive to think that would ever been an offer on the table.

Me neither, but I find my dog with my ear and with a bar. Digging is a communal thing in France, sometimes its like a mini convoy on the way to an oldskool rave, 15 vehicules, vans cars 4x4s, going round checking places where you might find if someone hasnt done their homework. People come out of their houses to look! Its a team game. Picnic baskets come out, you can hear corks being popped, the people who dug probably dont have to backfill as the spectators will lend a hand. Friendships are made. Very social, sometimes too! LOL. Thats the generalisation. The comparison to the U.K. is chalk and cheese. If you cherry picked the best of both worlds, ie the technology, the dogs, the social, the support, the invites, the atmosphere, the welcome, the tradition, the respect & hopefully the longevity. Youd have painted the perfect picture, but as we all know.. lifes not quite like that. So we adapt. Ive been adapting since 2003 having a little pause from the digging at the moment due to priorities, but I will be back at it. The best days of my life have been days in the woods surrounded by terriers pegged out & being amongst good sporting people. 

Blaise & the people before him have fought hard to keep this noble sport alive. They have my utmost respect.

Good post that?

• Like 2

I doubt very much if the French attempt some of the dungeons we dig here though or used to back in the day .I admire them in the way they carry on but I know full well they won't put a dog in places we do here and that is purely down to the collar .

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I doubt very much if the French attempt some of the dungeons we dig here though or used to back in the day .I admire them in the way they carry on but I know full well they won't put a dog in places we do here and that is purely down to the collar .

yes Foxdropper youre the fcukin best, blah blah blah

HATERS GONNA HATE

• Haha 5
5 hours ago, Waz said:

That my good man is the most perfect of days and like i said before i sure haven't ment them any dissrespect if Blasie has taken it that way,i just thought with the locator it would be better all round.Still do as it goes ?as like FD says they won't drop into some places due to it and those times when they do dig to a dead dog it maybe could have been saved with a locator??,i ask my dogs to do more than i ever would myself and they do so happily so it's the least i can do it do my very best to protect them when they do go under ground and without a locator you cannot say no matter how many folk are there your not doing your very best for the quarry,dog or tunnel system....who knows it might be that point they loose it all on...

• Like 4
13 hours ago, ziggy said:

I dont use locator s when i am working rockpiles .. i no a few lads who have worked ther dogs with collers on in past and have had ther dog hung with the coller...90 pecent of piles you cannot dig as ther too deep ... i have dug many piles to with just listening to the sound of your terrier baying an dug right on top of them... folk say am mad putting dogs in them with no collers but they have never worked rocks ... but each to ther own..

Them two rescued by the fell and moorland had collers on tho zig  that one at 19m was never been dug by ears only. And that one of Phil's had a bellman on. 

You do a lot more in rock than me zig but it would be a hard call for me to tip I'm without any a coller on.  I work lots of old tips a dog could just as easily get its coller snagged on a bit of old steel or a tree root. 

• Like 1

They wernt rock dogs ratface .. wasent one of the dogs stuck been dug out a few times in piles... wrong sort of dogs for rock work... they were both lucky as they could get a machine ther ..most piles you carnt ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
14 hours ago, Waz said:

yes Foxdropper youre the fcukin best, blah blah blah

HATERS GONNA HATE

What's that supposed to mean .I've dug my fair share without collars mate but I know my limitations and would never knowingly put a dog to ground without a collar unless I knew the place and yes I still do it .Just stating fact that you can't disagree with ,no need for smart remarks .You've stated you couldn't hear a thing at 6m which could of very easily turned nasty .Egos can and do kill dogs something I've never done .

• Like 3