Locator, the best

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The law states they mustn't use a locator,  our law says we must, it's not about who's doing it right, it's about jumping through hoops to hang on to what we've got left. Given a choice I'd alway

As I interprate the rules in France, collars can be used, but not in the pursuit of hunting, only in the job of finding a lost terrier. ie: you cant search for a dog to be able to dig it for hunting.

Or perhaps the French aren't dull enough to put marked up dogs on the net ! Why not have the best of both worlds, use a collar but have a time limit before it's deemed necessary to locate it for

1 hour ago, Blaise said:

Speak about the advantages of locator, happiness and great values of e-hunting.

(And leave this b*****d of french who is definitely unable to understand what hunting badger mean)

I find it terrible how you can’t take an opinion without spitting your dummy out. It’s absolutely brilliant how you can still hunt the way you hunt but it doesn’t mean your way is the most effective, personally I don’t agree with tongs, which you use, doesn’t mean I’m right or your right, different cultures and different rates of progression I suppose.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Blaise said:

(And leave this b*****d of french who is definitely unable to understand what hunting badger mean)

One advantage for a start is the bellman coller over any other coller , as least it should keep working and surely have lot more peace of mind if can let ya dog off , when walking along a place . I spent a whole day one season along the bank and couldn't pick up a mark with the deben even though the burrows shouldn'thave been over the depth range , and coller was still working when found the dog 

1 hour ago, Blaise said:

The way you hunt in France is correct for you as your still allowed to hunt legally and sounders tend to be a bit softer so not as wreck less below and it's a skill that everybody should be able to do in case locators fail, when we were young we couldn't afford locators so we had to use our ears too and found the dogs and ferrets every time we started with ferrets so by the time we moved onto dogs we had a good skill set developed that didn't let ya down but luckily enough nothing was too deep 

• Like 3

It's obvious that the use of locators has paved the way for mute dog to be used. That type pre locator days would not have been much use at all. But is it far more safer with a locator for the terrier? 100% it is!  the fell and moorland saved a dog wedged tight at 19m that dog would have never been seen again if it was for the bellman and flint. 

But if we could dig within the law but not have a locator on I'd do it. Because my dogs are yappy little wind bags anyways lol. 

Maybe we wouldn't be in the mess were in now if locators was never used, just a thought. 

If you look at pics of hunting in France first thing you think straight away...... professional. no chewed up dogs or any other ammo for the anti's

Just my opinion tho. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Or perhaps the French aren't dull enough to put marked up dogs on the net !

Why not have the best of both worlds, use a collar but have a time limit before it's deemed necessary to locate it for a rescue ?  That way you could keep your tradition alive and have the best interest of the terrier at heart too.

• Like 15

You can look at it another way that due to idiots f***ing things up for everyone this side of the channel by total unprofesionalism......then look at the profesional way they go about their business on their side. It’s maybe the same idiots trying to tell them they are doing it wrong

hmmm maybe swap those tongs for a bullx

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I'd  like to say yes but deep down no. I wouldn't wonna risk my dogs life especially when I know the technology is there to use. As had been said before its all about the welfare of your dogs. 

If you lost a dog knowing you had the means to save it it would be a sad day! 

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, baker boy said:

No-one has to answer it if they dont feel comfortable doing so, Im old enough to remember legal badger digging, when I 1st started we didnt have locators, if by some miracle badger digging was reintroduced with the condition that locators could not be used I'd be 1 of the 1st in line for a licence, I know using a locator is safer for the dog, I know all the other pro points of using a locator, but if it meant legally digging again I'd be on it like a tramp on chips and just so as I make it perfectly clear I only dig foxes under the exemptions mentioned in the hunting act.

I would apply for a license also and then I’d collar the dog up, as there’s no reason not to, as far as the dogs safety is concerned.

• Like 1