Down’s syndrome lad shot dead by police

I went to the Chinese last night , and was reading the paper on the counter which was a few days old . But this story caught my eye . The Stockholm police shot a 20 year old Down’s syndrome man who also had autism ( Eric Torell) because he was carrying a toy gun . I don’t know how to put a link up , maybe someone will do it for me . But the mind boggles. It was broad daylight and you can clearly see that he has Down’s !!! Has the ability to make a rational decision been “trained “ out of them or is it a case of I must follow procedures and if he doesn’t put the gun down “he’s going down”.Tragic ☹️

28 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I went to the Chinese last night , and was reading the paper on the counter which was a few days old . But this story caught my eye . The Stockholm police shot a 20 year old Down’s syndrome man who also had autism ( Eric Torell) because he was carrying a toy gun . I don’t know how to put a link up , maybe someone will do it for me . But the mind boggles. It was broad daylight and you can clearly see that he has Down’s !!! Has the ability to make a rational decision been “trained “ out of them or is it a case of I must follow procedures and if he doesn’t put the gun down “he’s going down”.Tragic ☹️

You can only train for so much, but until your faced with the problem and a few seconds to react  to it, no one can honestly say how they would react, this is the result of a highly trained idiot given a gun, and as police forces become more and more like untrained army,s this shit will become more frequent, 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Greyman said:

You can only train for so much, but until your faced with the problem and a few seconds to react  to it, no one can honestly say how they would react, this is the result of a highly trained idiot given a gun, and as police forces become more and more like untrained army,s this shit will become more frequent, 

I know that i can look at someone and spot if they have Down’s syndrome in a second . There is no excuse for shooting this lad . I also know that people don’t join the police or armed services to shoot the mentally disabled . Whoever pulled the trigger now has to live with this mistake . 

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 4

It’s easy, especially if you’re trying to sell a story, to paint a picture of trigger happy coppers gunning down a disabled lad with the mental age of a young child holding nothing but a harmless toy.

In reality what might have happened is that police were faced with a very agitated looking man brandishing a sub-machine gun, and who wouldn’t communicate with them or comply with instructions to lay down the weapon. If they then assessed he was posed an imminent danger to life then I don’t see that they had much choice.

Unless you were there, how can you judge the actions of the police based on a newspaper story with a blatant agenda? 

• Like 4

I feel for the man and his family

but if it had been a member of isis or some nutter with a gun

you would be praising the copper for shooting him

after all the shit that has gone on in the last few years

they only have seconds to react

and in all honesty some toy guns look real .

Armed police a few years ago were called out to two kids round my way

they were running around with mp5 assault rifles BB guns

the police took them off them

and one placed the bb gun on the bonnet then his own

he then asked the other copper to pick the real one out

he could not .

not having a dig just stating a fact

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

he could not .

fair point  , why didnt he cop try to taser  him 1st , they carry both  on them , if he wasn't  sure if the lad  had D/S  or  mental  illness  , just thought    !!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bird said:

fair point  , why didnt he cop try to taser  him 1st , they carry both  on them , if he wasn't  sure if the lad  had D/S  or  mental  illness  , just thought    !!!

Pretty sure when there is a firearm involved, or even a knife in close quarters, then non lethal options are off the table. Just too risky when matey is believed to have a firearm. :thumbs:

It's a shit situation. One that I'm not qualified to pass judgement on.

• Like 2

Without going into to much depth, many moons ago a friend of mine was involved in shooting someone, he went on the run after the event and was tracked down to a hotel in jersey, an armed police unit took the door off at around 4am the lad was asleep bollack naked in bed with some bird he,d picked up on route, so quite clearly not a great threat at this point  yet out of 10 highly trained armed officers that entered the room, 3 of them threw up all over the lad the bird and the bed they were in and were quickly ushered out the room turned out it was there first time in a live situation and if they could,nt overcome it they would be out, but the point I,m making is that same fear mixed with a rush of adrenaline could have just as easily led to him being shot, he would have deserved it and it would have been very easy to cover up but every single copper given a gun has to go through a live situation before anybody ever knows if they are cut out for it  or not, and for those suggesting tazers, A you would be dead before you sheathed your gun and drew your tazer if the person was really armed, and B the last thing you need to do to a person holding a gun is run 5000 volts through them making there muscles spasm and squeezie the trigger,  it's a tragic accident, that will keep happening the more we arm the police, 

9 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

he could not .

Even airguns are starting to look like firearms ,especially the pistols  and it’s a dangerous trend inmho .

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Greyman said:

Without going into to much depth, many moons ago a friend of mine was involved in shooting someone, he went on the run after the event and was tracked down to a hotel in jersey, an armed police unit took the door off at around 4am the lad was asleep bollack naked in bed with some bird he,d picked up on route, so quite clearly not a great threat at this point  yet out of 10 highly trained armed officers that entered the room, 3 of them threw up all over the lad the bird and the bed they were in and were quickly ushered out the room turned out it was there first time in a live situation and if they could,nt overcome it they would be out, but the point I,m making is that same fear mixed with a rush of adrenaline could have just as easily led to him being shot, he would have deserved it and it would have been very easy to cover up but every single copper given a gun has to go through a live situation before anybody ever knows if they are cut out for it  or not, and for those suggesting tazers, A you would be dead before you sheathed your gun and drew your tazer if the person was really armed, and B the last thing you need to do to a person holding a gun is run 5000 volts through them making there muscles spasm and squeezie the trigger,  it's a tragic accident, that will keep happening the more we arm the police, 

I’ve warmed to you over you big cat posts , but sorry every inch of that is bollocks 

the cozzers don’t spend time money and investment in people to see them baulk at a hard entry 

co19 are probably more professional and to be more respected than a navy seal unit coning in the door. 

Go back to watching line of duty 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

co19 are probably more professional and to be more respected than a navy seal unit coning in the door. 

I'm not having that, mate. Look at Bradley Cooper's beard in American Sniper...

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’ve warmed to you over you big cat posts , but sorry every inch of that is bollocks 

the cozzers don’t spend time money and investment in people to see them baulk at a hard entry 

Go back to watching line of duty 

Sorry mate but every word is true, and I don't no what line of duty is, maybe co19 were,nt in charge 30 odd years ago and maybe they don't go to jersey , but my mates bed was like a scene from the exorcist, ral moat or what ever his name was got hit with a taser in the last seconds of his life  a weapon that should not be used on someone in a hostage type situation when they are holding a gun basic rule broken, quickly brushed aside but it happened, you should also look at some of the animals and people tazared by the police including the blind man who,s stick was mistaken for a sword, if you have a vested interest and think they are perfect that's fine  but I personally feel arming the police is a downward spiral and just like the states will end in a military style force who,s more incline to draw weapons first and shoot then ask questions later,  prevent and protect the public is the job of the police, not judge jury and executioner, it s just my opinion and I,m sorry if it offends you ?