After a few years umming and arring I have decided to take the plunge (mainly as my Nieghbour has a paddock he wants clearing)

so to the learned ones on here about them, what you reckon, I would have preferred to get them a little earlier than now, but hey ho, that's the hand I been dealt so have to work with it.

I know about fencing, water, mud, mess, shelter, etc, but what's the favourite eating breed, I can lay my hands on a few GOS weaners next week, or I know of some Berkshire weaners, and I have heard a smallholder I know has some large white x landrace, so out of those what's your preference ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

????????????????????? percy was his name being  tasty was his game coupled with sage wer his downfall and that’s when the story ends ????????? 3 cheers for pigs ?????????????????????

Well, had a few joints now and the flavour is something else, am really pleased with them. also knocked a few sausages up yesterday, these ones were chilli and garlic, possibly the best sausage I

The first two went to slaughter yesterday, 138 and 152lb hanging weight. Can't wait to pick them up

Posted Images

I'm wondering the same,just bought a small farm.In oz I think you need dark skinned pigs if free ranging to prevent sunburn.I'm after an easy care, hardy breed with good meat.Over here you have to watch for feral pigs attracted by the sows.

• Like 1

Yeah your right about sunburn, but we don't suffer that nearly as bad as you will, and I will have a shelter in the field anyways as they will have to run through the winter into early part of next year at a guess.

• Like 1

Hi mate, I had some saddlebacks last year, they were fantastic tasting pigs! Took longer to bring on and also put on more fat as they are a pure breed. A friend of mine has Berkshires and it's the same thing with them being a pure breed so GO'S will be the same. I don't have any experience with LW x LR pigs but in a couple of weeks I'm getting some SB x LW which should have the flavour of a pure breed but not have as much fat on them and come on a bit quicker. If your getting pigs at this time they should be at a decent slaughter weight for Christmas so this is a good time to get them! 

Another plus is getting them at this time of year their enclosure isn't a complete quadmire!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

Hi mate, I had some saddlebacks last year, they were fantastic tasting pigs! Took longer to bring on and also put on more fat as they are a pure breed. A friend of mine has Berkshires and it's the same thing with them being a pure breed so GO'S will be the same. I don't have any experience with LW x LR pigs but in a couple of weeks I'm getting some SB x LW which should have the flavour of a pure breed but not have as much fat on them and come on a bit quicker. If your getting pigs at this time they should be at a decent slaughter weight for Christmas so this is a good time to get them! 

Another plus is getting them at this time of year their enclosure isn't a complete quadmire!

Hello mate, hope your well.

To me it's all about flavour, just can't seem to get decent pork now, not like I used to remember it anyway, however, I don't particularly like loads and loads of fat, am sure it would get used though, might have to look into the x breeds a bit more then.

Sounds like the SB x LW could be a good cross (I sound like the dog men on here now). Been bloody nosey, how muck h you paying for your weaners, and are there any more available ?

I really don't mind when they are ready, I've got freezers and quite happy if they take a bit longer, just want decent bit of meat at the end of it.

Thankfully the nieghbour doesn't care how much mess they make, his paddock is well and truly overgrown, you cannot walk through it for brambles and bushes, I did warn him it will be worse than any ploughed field he has ever seen, and if it comes wet it will look like a bog, he was well happy with that.?

37 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That was a saddleback I had last year , like you say bit fatty , I think old spots are renowned for being fatty pork arnt  they? 

No idea mate, I know all about husbandry, but nothing about individual breeds and best meat/fat ratios, I've plenty of farmer mates who do pigs, but they all do intensive rearing and not what I'm after, I want to get some real flavour back into the meat.

Yer I’m good cheers mate, flat out with work and the shoot as well!! 

The weaners are around £30-£50 each depending on age breed etc. The pork is amazing! Everyone who has had some off us loves it! The chops are three times bigger than shop brought, The sausages you get are nothing like a shop sausage, actual flavour and meat in the sausage! We will never buy pork from a shop again! and my mate who I get the pigs from is a butcher so he butchers them for me so I can see the whole process through from farrowing all the way  to the table which is great! I’m getting some off him next week and he has more farrowing next week so he always has weaners available.  

These will be the second lot I’ve had so the first couple was a real learning curve about how much to feed, slaughter weights etc but it is great fun and they are so easy to keep and will turn over and fertilise you neighbors ground brilliantly! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

Yer I’m good cheers mate, flat out with work and the shoot as well!! 

The weaners are around £30-£50 each depending on age breed etc. The pork is amazing! Everyone who has had some off us loves it! The chops are three times bigger than shop brought, The sausages you get are nothing like a shop sausage, actual flavour and meat in the sausage! We will never buy pork from a shop again! and my mate who I get the pigs from is a butcher so he butchers them for me so I can see the whole process through from farrowing all the way  to the table which is great! I’m getting some off him next week and he has more farrowing next week so he always has weaners available.  

These will be the second lot I’ve had so the first couple was a real learning curve about how much to feed, slaughter weights etc but it is great fun and they are so easy to keep and will turn over and fertilise you neighbors ground brilliantly! 

Sounds spot on mate, they will certainly do the job for him, but I need decent grub at the end of it so while he is just happy with any old pigs, I'm not !

very handy he's a butcher, can you find out if he's got any ready to go ?

How many you getting

Yer I was speaking to him earlier today coz he may be renting some ground from the chap where I live so yes he has, sone next week then some in a few weeks time. Do you want me to txt you his number? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

Yer I was speaking to him earlier today coz he may be renting some ground from the chap where I live so yes he has, sone next week then some in a few weeks time. Do you want me to txt you his number? 

Please mate, next week would be perfect for me, I'm about set up now

Got a farmer mate who keeps Tamworth's we had a discussion about crossing them with a Wild Bore to get an Iron Age pig. So thought I would look up a bit about the Iron Age pig, seems its a bit slow growing but a more gamey taste. Any way found this site and it seem quite informative if you click on Breeds etc.

https://salutethepig.com/iron-age-pig-and-pig-iron/

Hope it might be of some help to you guys.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...