Four more down

Decided last night to have a couple of hours out on the foxes again. It was an overcast night and a bit of a breezy so great conditions. 

Good job I did! 

Got in position at just gone 9:00. Within ten minutes fox number one showed up, trotting towards me at around 250 yards weaving through the bales then turning right to follow along a tramline. Just before it got in line with me and would have been down wind I gave it a squeak it stopped on the spot and down it went. A further twenty minutes pasted and whilst watching a roe strolling across in front of me I noticed another fox on the same path as the previous one. It took the exact same route and I dropped that about 10 yards from it’s friend. That was one dog and one vixen On the deck. I walked over collected them both and got back on the back of the truck to wait for some more action. 15-20 minutes passed and number 3 came strolling out of a cover crop and before I had chance to get onto  it It turned tail and went down the other side of the bank so I couldnt have a shot. I gave it a couple of minutes to see if it would return. Becoming inpatient I tried the caller and it came flying back over the bank towards me at 200 miles an hour, I was frantically trying to get the drone and IR turned on before it was at the front of the truck. I turned the caller off and it was still running at me! I barked at it, which stopped it at around 35 yards in front of me and that was number 3 delt with. Another dog down. I thought I’ll try the caller again you never know... and within 5 minutes of the caller on rabbit distress playing number 4 was steam training it towards me in exactly the same fashion as the unlucky chap before him and he got the same treatment and dropped about 5 yards from him. 

This was the same field I shot three in the other week and right next to one of our pens which the birds will be in next week so a very worth while 2 hour trip out! 

1A40416D-0B2F-45C5-B663-0B73E26473C1.jpeg

• Like 9

Well done Jarvis. Good shooting. I’m out myself tonight .  I haven’t seen a fox or any sign of them for a while now and the birds have been really settled. However I was topping up some hoppers this afternoon when some crows started up . They were mobbing something moveing up a ditch . Although I couldn’t see it poults pouring out of the hedge and cocking up told me I have a visitor. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Well done Jarvis. Good shooting. I’m out myself tonight .  I haven’t seen a fox or any sign of them for a while now and the birds have been really settled. However I was topping up some hoppers this afternoon when some crows started up . They were mobbing something moveing up a ditch . Although I couldn’t see it poults pouring out of the hedge and cocking up told me I have a visitor. 

Hopefully you'll catch up with it tonight! 

Just when you think you’ve got this game “cracked “and you are on top of things life has a way of bringing you back down to earth !!! Went out as planned last night after my suspected visitor. The hedge it was working is a bit of a pain to get to because I’ve got to go through three locked gates . Drove towards the hedge scanning with the thermal when not one but two foxes ran out of the hedge chased by a roe doe . Thermal off and rifle with NV out .....gone . Tried my best squeaks , but to no avail. Only one thing for it , back around the other side of the hedge, only five more locked gates to mess about with , bring on the winter when the livestock is in and the gates are open ! Drove up to gate four and almost there and scanned the field before opening the gate and there in front were the two foxes . Quietly as I could I hauled my ageing body on the back of the mule and took a shot off the roof . One down , the other a bit more educated now I suspect. Drove around the rest of the shoot and nothing. There is a woman in the village next to the shoot who feeds foxes and birds (My pheasants) so I drove around the back of her house and there was a Charlie taking advantage of a free dinner , I made him number two . So I’ve still got foxes here and I’m still chipping away at the numbers, but I’m a long way off having the game “cracked “.

94D29AD9-2202-4808-A279-544396E4CEBF.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Just when you think you’ve got this game “cracked “and you are on top of things life has a way of bringing you back down to earth !!! Went out as planned last night after my suspected visitor. The hedge it was working is a bit of a pain to get to because I’ve got to go through three locked gates . Drove towards the hedge scanning with the thermal when not one but two foxes ran out of the hedge chased by a roe doe . Thermal off and rifle with NV out .....gone . Tried my best squeaks , but to no avail. Only one thing for it , back around the other side of the hedge, only five more locked gates to mess about with , bring on the winter when the livestock is in and the gates are open ! Drove up to gate four and almost there and scanned the field before opening the gate and there in front were the two foxes . Quietly as I could I hauled my ageing body on the back of the mule and took a shot off the roof . One down , the other a bit more educated now I suspect. Drove around the rest of the shoot and nothing. There is a woman in the village next to the shoot who feeds foxes and birds (My pheasants) so I drove around the back of her house and there was a Charlie taking advantage of a free dinner , I made him number two . So I’ve still got foxes here and I’m still chipping away at the numbers, but I’m a long way off having the game “cracked “.

94D29AD9-2202-4808-A279-544396E4CEBF.jpeg

It’s two less anyway mate! Keep at them! I’m out every night now as our birds come Monday then the real sleepless nights and worry starts!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

It’s two less anyway mate! Keep at them! I’m out every night now as our birds come Monday then the real sleepless nights and worry starts!

Do what I do . The first few nights after you put the birds in , I sleep in my truck next to the pen . If you’ve got any troublesome visitors, the birds will soon make some noise and wake you up . Then it’s just a matter of getting the rifle up and flattening them . Works for me . I always reckon I sleep better there than worrying at home. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Underdog said:

And I thought you were on foot!

To many gadgets ?

It’s not the gadgets , so much as the area . The shoot is 1500acres and I’ve another 1000 around us I can go on . Having said that , foxes can be vehicle shy and decamp as soon as they hear an engine. That’s when going on foot to target a specific fox will usually work best . Plus I like the solid shooting platform I get off the mule . 

• Like 2

I’m not one for walking around! Not with the weight of my rifle! I park up and wait for the Charlie’s to come to me! 

I do bait stations during the autumn/ winter as well which work well. Plus if they are getting food there they aren’t going looking for tasty pheasants! 

They harvested most of the wheat here today , so I thought I’d take a look . I was expecting to see a few but was disappointed, not much out apart from deer rabbits and badgers. I did see one though , trotting across some old  stubble which had been mucked , with something in its mouth . I squeaked, whistled, then barked to try and stop it but it carried on . Don’t normally do this but I shot it on the move , clipped it and it carried on a bit before stopping . Still wriggling I finished it off with a second shot . With the thermal I was able to find what it had in its mouth . Looks like some wood pigeon squabs . 

521312E5-FD71-4918-BFE0-757CDBED7282.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

They harvested most of the wheat here today , so I thought I’d take a look . I was expecting to see a few but was disappointed, not much out apart from deer rabbits and badgers. I did see one though , trotting across some old  stubble which had been mucked , with something in its mouth . I squeaked, whistled, then barked to try and stop it but it carried on . Don’t normally do this but I shot it on the move , clipped it and it carried on a bit before stopping . Still wriggling I finished it off with a second shot . With the thermal I was able to find what it had in its mouth . Looks like some wood pigeon squabs . 

521312E5-FD71-4918-BFE0-757CDBED7282.jpeg

Nice work! They finished the wheat  at ours last night as well so I had a look out. Managed to account for another. He was a bloody big dog! I’ve had 9 up there in the last two weeks so hopefully that will go some way to giving the birds some peace! 

• Like 1