• 3 weeks later...

You can use a juicer. As for recipes Apple juice and yeast. Its that simple. If you want it clear add pectin enzyme.  Pitch it from one bottle to another every two months or their about and bottle it when all the shit stops gathering on the bottom. Simple

• 4 weeks later...

You can buy a small press for around 40 quid - the good Lady bought me one, and I've just made my first batch. Works a treat, but she wasn't very happy to discover that I'd use her smoothie maker to pulp 25kg of apples ! Labour intensive, but worth it - got over 10 litres of juice, split into two brews, one with added cider yeast, the other fermenting on its natural yeast.........both blipping away merrily !

Happy days !

• Like 3
On 19/09/2018 at 13:03, Blackbriar said:

You can buy a small press for around 40 quid - the good Lady bought me one, and I've just made my first batch. Works a treat, but she wasn't very happy to discover that I'd use her smoothie maker to pulp 25kg of apples

I thought I'd try to make just a couple of gallons and that t'other half's Moulineau juicer would be Ok for that little amount.  After the   experience of me and a mate using his wife's electric mincer in an over-enthusiastic manner while  to making venison burgers I was careful not to over-heat or stress the device. So not only was it a slow process chopping and poking  half an orchard through the thing but it still conked-out after about six pints of juice.

Check fuse; no luck. Allow to cool down ;no luck. Allow to cool down overnight whilst praying to the Gods for a miracle;no luck.

"Bum"; looks like I'll have  to buy her a new one. Double bum; her's is a discontinued model and colour so no chance of a shifty swap and  they are getting-on for £200!

Finally a desperate cruise of Evil bay turned-up a new listing. Right model,wrong colour but a low buy it now price.

Hm?,"If I swap motors,she'll never know."

The day it arrived I had just one last go at plugging the broken juicer in. It worked. I turned it on and off . It still worked. It's still working.

I didn't push my luck though and finished the cider-making using  my own 19 quid E-bay juicer.

I felt it safe to come clean about my fall-back plan of motor substitution or if it came to it actually buying her new one. That got me Brownie points. She hasn't seen the labels I've designed for the bottles yet though.

cider  label edit.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1