Shotgun Decoying Turned R10 Pigeon session

So! Up early this morning over to my mates farm for a few hours on the pigeons using his shotguns. Got some new camo I wanted to try out too! So Got the decoys set up, few pigeons, few magpies and a couple of crow decoys set, Jimny burried in the hedge to use as a hide. Was pretty uneventful, few high flying pigeons but nothing within range. After 3 1/2 hours of waiting we decided to pack up the shotties, grab the air rifles and head into the horse paddocks on the farm. The paddocks aren't huge but are surrounded by oak, beech and birch trees. The pigeons and the squirrels love em! 

Low and behold, first pigeon presented himself nicely, right on the end of a large oak branch with his back towards me. Around 25 yards away and around 25-27 feet up in the tree, quick pull of the trigger and my .177 pellet went straight through his head. Lights out for him.

Next one appeared next to the old koi pond. No fish in there now, just the farm ducks and a few geese. This woodie was on the farm bank, head down enjoying some refreshment. I managed to stalk in along the fence line to about 15 yards. Bosh, this little woodie went to sleep.

Making our way round the top paddock, 4 pigeons flew out of a large oak we were heading towards. We followed the flight and spotted the tree they landed in. We carried on our planned route keeping an eye on that tree as we would pass it again on our way back. Few more steps and a magpie landed 10 foot away on a fence post, just for a second but my friend was on it. The magpie hit the deck within 10 seconds of landing on the post. 

On our way back we came back to the tree the 4 pigeons landed in earlier. They were right at the top of this large oak. We managed to get right under the tree without them disappearing. Took aim and then before taking the shot a squirrel ran past and scared them all! ?

Decided to call it a day, headed back to the cars that were parked at the end of one of the barns. Just as we turned the corner a woody landed right on the end of the barn roof. I quickly worked my way round to give me a clearer shot and bang. 3rd dead woodie for today. Called it a day after that. 

3 wood pigeons in the fridge ready for dinner and another enjoyable few hours shooting. Really loving the R10 now I have had a chance to put it through its paces.

Thanks for reading!

Benn

IMG_20180805_132544.jpg

IMG_20180804_185624.jpg

• Like 5