butterflies

Anecdotally it seems like insects in general have had population explosions this summer. It struck me as significant because I remember how biologists were saying that a measure of insect population decline was how many get splattered on windscreens compared to previous years.

My windscreen is thick with the little snotty fuckers this summer! :laugh:

It will have done wild game birds and other insectivores a world of good. I've seen a few gangs of pheasant poults numbering 9+, which is pretty good survival rate.

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i'm not the only gay in this village ?‍❤️‍?‍?

the butterflies have been plentiful this year here aswell.....the two on the flowers look a bit tatty, but still good to see them....also iv'e seen a lot of dragonflies this year.....

Not great on plant I'd and with no leafs on show could be way off but I think them blue flowers could be a budlia otherwise known as a butterfly bush ?

Posted Images

21 hours ago, grompz said:

frogs, toads, lizards in the waterways, 

Lots of reptiles around this year,and loads of frogs,i have seen and heard hundreds this year but they are all European marsh frogs.

• Like 1
On 3 August 2018 at 10:43, Born Hunter said:

Anecdotally it seems like insects in general have had population explosions this summer. It struck me as significant because I remember how biologists were saying that a measure of insect population decline was how many get splattered on windscreens compared to previous years.

My windscreen is thick with the little snotty fuckers this summer! :laugh:

It will have done wild game birds and other insectivores a world of good. I've seen a few gangs of pheasant poults numbering 9+, which is pretty good survival rate.

Was going to say something simular, really interesting cycle this year with insects doing really well and birds and animals that depend on insects also having a bumper year, swift and swollows were really late and in smaller numbers this year but I would think the success rate of breeding is very high so should be good numbers again for next season, bats also having it bang off this year and doing really well,I,m  picking them up on the bat detected in my own garden which is a first , hard year for blackbirds and other worm dependent creatures,as the old saying goes, Nature suffers not feast nor famine, and this year is quite a good example ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CHEVINFOX said:

DSC_1433.thumb.JPG.342dca49afdf193014ad696b3d4b5943.JPG

DSC_1427.thumb.JPG.ceb5dd33d9962ac6d8a0e18d76c0f70c.JPG

DSC_1425.thumb.JPG.8d60d103f20f2da5fcbb4fee63ffa4e8.JPG

DSC_1423.thumb.JPG.d0a8f858ad8b85e23ad3c23193fb5cc7.JPG

Not great on plant I'd and with no leafs on show could be way off but I think them blue flowers could be a budlia otherwise known as a butterfly bush ?

• Like 4
On 02/08/2018 at 21:26, Daniel cain said:

Noticed loads of butterflies moths this year, been plagued by horse flies on site for months, horrible fuckers don't give up until they got a taste of you or you flatten the cnuts?

Yeah we had a bad spate of those bloody horse flies, orrible things and they do like to bite.

we have had a bumper year for insects, frogs, toads, newts, swallows, bats, dragon flies, we even found two small grass snakes by the back door a couple weeks back, first time I've ever seen snakes here.

we have a 5 acre field that I like to leave well alone to encourage not only insects and small mammals (lots of field mice and voles, leads to lots of barn owl watching ?)but also to help with the wild flowers, must say I reckon I've not seen as many butterflies as normal though.

• Like 1
On 02/08/2018 at 16:49, grompz said:

just back from a stroll with the dogs on local farm land,cant believe the amount of butterflies and moths that were about, the most that's been about for years, wondering is it due to the prolonged hot spell and the recent heavy rainfall, nice to see the different species and varieties are making a come back, shocked to read the other day, that a meadow in devon, that david Attenborough was due to visit to conduct a butterfly survey, had been devasted by council workmen by mistake, apparently the were supposed to have cut pathways for the public through it, but cut the whole meadow like a lawn, end of  survey till next year also a lot of rare orchids and wild flowers lost, bad communication break down,some one should answer to this.

The council in my area (North east)have been growing wild flower strips along grass verges over the last few years, good to see some thought going into habitat regeneration

• Like 1
On 05/08/2018 at 15:54, CHEVINFOX said:

DSC_1433.thumb.JPG.342dca49afdf193014ad696b3d4b5943.JPG

DSC_1427.thumb.JPG.ceb5dd33d9962ac6d8a0e18d76c0f70c.JPG

DSC_1425.thumb.JPG.8d60d103f20f2da5fcbb4fee63ffa4e8.JPG

DSC_1423.thumb.JPG.d0a8f858ad8b85e23ad3c23193fb5cc7.JPG

Very nice, clear pics mate ?

On 05/08/2018 at 18:25, Greyman said:

?

On 05/08/2018 at 18:28, socks said:

That my man is definitely a budlia .....

Got buddleia in my garden. Plenty of butterfles, and I don't know how many different types of insects all over them ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 05/08/2018 at 18:47, Rabid said:

Yeah we had a bad spate of those bloody horse flies, orrible things and they do like to bite.

we have had a bumper year for insects, frogs, toads, newts, swallows, bats, dragon flies, we even found two small grass snakes by the back door a couple weeks back, first time I've ever seen snakes here.

we have a 5 acre field that I like to leave well alone to encourage not only insects and small mammals (lots of field mice and voles, leads to lots of barn owl watching ?)but also to help with the wild flowers, must say I reckon I've not seen as many butterflies as normal though.

DSC_1986.thumb.JPG.fcc741f1c474dcae5215aace7cfea41d.JPG

Seen a few of these this year. 

• Like 2