butterflies

just back from a stroll with the dogs on local farm land,cant believe the amount of butterflies and moths that were about, the most that's been about for years, wondering is it due to the prolonged hot spell and the recent heavy rainfall, nice to see the different species and varieties are making a come back, shocked to read the other day, that a meadow in devon, that david Attenborough was due to visit to conduct a butterfly survey, had been devasted by council workmen by mistake, apparently the were supposed to have cut pathways for the public through it, but cut the whole meadow like a lawn, end of  survey till next year also a lot of rare orchids and wild flowers lost, bad communication break down,some one should answer to this.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i'm not the only gay in this village ?‍❤️‍?‍?

the butterflies have been plentiful this year here aswell.....the two on the flowers look a bit tatty, but still good to see them....also iv'e seen a lot of dragonflies this year.....

Not great on plant I'd and with no leafs on show could be way off but I think them blue flowers could be a budlia otherwise known as a butterfly bush ?

Posted Images

I thought your post was going to be about the lack of any butterflies as so far this year I have hardly seen any !...………….I have a few speckled wood up my field but that's about it.  As a kid I used to love orange tips...……….they have gone :cry:

• Like 1

Don't know if anybody is interested and it might be a nice thing to do with the kids, the Big Butterfly Count is on now. They want you to count the butterfly's in a fifteen minute slot and the different species. We have loads more Butterfly's this year. Heres the link if you want to do it with the kids.

https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

Council aren't bothered a piece of land where i used to live used hold a lot of wildlife including butterflys at the right time of year. 

Went for a walk there with me son and wife yesterday as been in a while and it's a building site now. Sad times as every bit of free land seems to be getting built on. 

Have a lot of good memorys on that bit land when my lad was a toddler and dogs which have now passed 

,intresting to hear the reports of increasing numbers of butterflies up and down the country, in my view there seems to be a healthy increase by farmers and gamekeepers etc to help conserve the country, sadly other species of wildlife, flora and fauna are in drastic decline in lots of areas, remember when I was a kid there were always frogs, toads, lizards in the waterways, the corncrake and sky larks in the meadows,sadly now becoming rarer each year, a lot of it I believe is due to intensve farming,buiding and land grab, just the way the world is going.

• Like 2