• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

U  addons can be like marmite, I've had the tv screen type , robin foxer on u tube uses the nite sight viper , I had one and didn't like it , your face lights up like black pool illuminated, and

I would recommend a thermal spotter, and night vision scope . I would also say that you get what you pay for . The cheaper entry level gear doesn’t perform like the more expensive items . I know guys

Thermal scope U when i used Pav,s it just blew me away and out much more than 200yrds unless there hiding behind stone walls they cant hide at all iv seen nothing like it u honestly

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

The thermal scopes I’ve seen are awesome , but I can’t justify the money . Spot em with thermal then Shoot em with NV is a good combo . But the thermal scopes have the edge for sure   if money is not an object and you’ve got a big lump under the mattress !?

If it was just for my perms id say your right but i do a lot of shooting and all ways off to other lads perms all over

so one for me would be spot on .

but they are a hell of a chunk of wonga to find in one go

it will be some time before i get my own lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
15 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

If it was just for my perms id say your right but i do a lot of shooting and all ways off to other lads perms all over

so one for me would be spot on .

but they are a hell of a chunk of wonga to find in one go

it will be some time before i get my own lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I’m terrible, I’ve always got something I want . I can’t just sit there and think .,.,I’ve got everything I need . There is always something better and I convince myself I need it . The thing is with thermal and NV it really is good and if you shoot foxes if you haven’t got it , you won’t be as successful....and that’s a fact .

• Like 2

I 100% agree with above statements, do your homework and think what you really want it for, quarry, ranges you’ll be shooting to etc. I don’t like the add on units, as I do not think at 200+ yards you should be mounting a high caliber rifle incorrectly in the dark, but for ratting or rabbit control etc are great units. 

I got a pulsar n750 to start with and as soon as I looked through my mates drone I thought I need one of those in my life!!! Like said before with NV and thermal you get what you pay for! 

I’ve accounted for way way way more foxes using thermal spotter and NV scope than I ever did or would do if I just had a lamp! Complete game changer. My thermal is a pulsar XQ50f which I love but my mate has the 38 which is also a very very good unit. I have not looked through a thermal scope but, I sometimes find with the thermal spotting sometimes at longer distances or in longer grass fields I can’t always 100% guarantee species ID, that’s where I find the nv scope and a good IR really helps.

hope this helps and isn’t just me rambling....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jarvis said:

I 100% agree with above statements, do your homework and think what you really want it for, quarry, ranges you’ll be shooting to etc. I don’t like the add on units, as I do not think at 200+ yards you should be mounting a high caliber rifle incorrectly in the dark, but for ratting or rabbit control etc are great units. 

I got a pulsar n750 to start with and as soon as I looked through my mates drone I thought I need one of those in my life!!! Like said before with NV and thermal you get what you pay for! 

I’ve accounted for way way way more foxes using thermal spotter and NV scope than I ever did or would do if I just had a lamp! Complete game changer. My thermal is a pulsar XQ50f which I love but my mate has the 38 which is also a very very good unit. I have not looked through a thermal scope but, I sometimes find with the thermal spotting sometimes at longer distances or in longer grass fields I can’t always 100% guarantee species ID, that’s where I find the nv scope and a good IR really helps.

hope this helps and isn’t just me rambling....

I can tell you that when you do get a chance to use / test a thermal scope you will like what you see . The keeper on the neighbouring estate came over after Christmas to show me his new toy . The main advantage over NV was that he could see Charlie moving through a wood and shot it as soon as it was in a clearing. I don’t think I would have even seen that fox with my NV . 

13 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I can tell you that when you do get a chance to use / test a thermal scope you will like what you see . The keeper on the neighbouring estate came over after Christmas to show me his new toy . The main advantage over NV was that he could see Charlie moving through a wood and shot it as soon as it was in a clearing. I don’t think I would have even seen that fox with my NV . 

I’d love to have a look through one. I’m such I’d be very impressed! I am right in thinking with these new  models you can scan with them and then re attach to your rifle to shoot with them? Otherwise you have to have a spotter and a thermal scope...

2 hours ago, Jarvis said:

I’d love to have a look through one. I’m such I’d be very impressed! I am right in thinking with these new  models you can scan with them and then re attach to your rifle to shoot with them? Otherwise you have to have a spotter and a thermal scope...

The one I saw was an ATN mars and it was a dedicated scope which was fixed to the rifle . Not sure about taking one off and reattaching It . But with a picatiny I can’t see why not . 

18 hours ago, Underdog said:

Thanks y'all.

I only have rimfire now and prefer to be under 100yds now ( my eyes are getting tired) for fox's.

Would an add on be suitable for that ?

I would say so . If you can get along with the unnatural shooting position. I would team it up with a spotter though . Otherwise you are just going to be lamping, then taking your shot with NV . If you can spot and shoot with no lamp , you will have more success I would think . Best of luck U

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to be a lamp only man ,convinced you didn't deserve it if you didn't lamp it but having looked through a thermal unit and nv setup I'm a convert .I bought the pulsar thermal in xq38  ,brilliant and use in conjunction with the photon rt 6x50,which despite some doubters is more than enough nv for the shooter who knows all about field craft. No amount of thermal or nv will compensate for poor wind direction or background noise .I still use the thermal to spot rabbits then switch on a torch on top the .22 which us a very good method and saves battery life .Nv allows you to carry out your duties unseen by those who would want to stop you and the thermal opens up another world of wildlife spotting in general at night .Thermal is also good as daylight deer spotter for those in cover and is now part of my woodland stalking equipment .

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2018 at 14:47, Underdog said:

Thanks y'all.

I only have rimfire now and prefer to be under 100yds now ( my eyes are getting tired) for fox's.

Would an add on be suitable for that ?

Short answer Nathan is yes. I use an Archer which I love dearly. Just got an Addonight from CRS with the 25mm lens to use primarily as a spotter. First time out on Sunday and it was excellent as a spotter. The field of view as an add on  can be compromised depending on the scope used. I found it ok enough for six rabbits without it being set up properly behind a Sidewinder 3-12x50. The 16mm will give more field of view. At your distances Nathan I'm guessing you could go with the 16mm lens and chuck the lamp away but you'll need to check that.

See if you can look at one Nath. Bound to be someone near you.

Thermals can be good but they do have a downside. They'll light up any piles of horse shit or anything else that has any heat on it. Unless you pay for the top end the definition can be poor and you're not sure if it's a rabbit or a cat.

A friend used a £3000 ATN for a while and doesn't use it any more for these reasons.

44 minutes ago, toxo said:

Short answer Nathan is yes. I use an Archer which I love dearly. Just got an Addonight from CRS with the 25mm lens to use primarily as a spotter. First time out on Sunday and it was excellent as a spotter. The field of view as an add on  can be compromised depending on the scope used. I found it ok enough for six rabbits without it being set up properly behind a Sidewinder 3-12x50. The 16mm will give more field of view. At your distances Nathan I'm guessing you could go with the 16mm lens and chuck the lamp away but you'll need to check that.

See if you can look at one Nath. Bound to be someone near you.

Thermals can be good but they do have a downside. They'll light up any piles of horse shit or anything else that has any heat on it. Unless you pay for the top end the definition can be poor and you're not sure if it's a rabbit or a cat.

A friend used a £3000 ATN for a while and doesn't use it any more for these reasons.

Thanks mate, good information.

Still in two minds with it all.

U.

7 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Thanks mate, good information.

Still in two minds with it all.

U.

Judging distance is much harder with NV than it is with a lamp. Of course not important if you're using a flat shooting bullet but does come into it with 22lr subs. I use a night rangefinder which makes a lot of difference.

If the lump under the bed is big enough for an addonight I'd give it some thought. The onboard IR is plenty big enough for rimfire although the high turrets on the sidewinder gets in the way a bit, and you can always add more. With a card you can record everything. black and white at night or colour in daylight. (I know how you like a pic Nathan). If you need any more info pm me a number, Paul