Guy in Chernobyl

11 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

My everyday carry! :D

Genuinely though, got a load at work. LOL

Lots of fun to be had playing with a geiger ;)

Remember my real first exposure to radiation and the reality was when I was 17 and the tutor organised a trip to Sellafield for the day (engineering ND). This guy hands me a tag and says "wear this it'll tell us how much you've been exposed to later" Wtf lol! It was a twitchy bum moment until he explained it to is :laugh:

1 minute ago, mushroom said:

Lots of fun to be had playing with a geiger ;)

Remember my real first exposure to radiation and the reality was when I was 17 and the tutor organised a trip to Sellafield for the day (engineering ND). This guy hands me a tag and says "wear this it'll tell us how much you've been exposed to later" Wtf lol! It was a twitchy bum moment until he explained it to is :laugh:

Film badge? Yeah we get issued those at work. Have realtime digital monitors as well.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, scothunter said:

We had one in school. Turned out there was radiation in all the school clocks. 

Some fire detectors use Alpha radiation lol

The distinction is the type, gamma can seriously fuuck you up but so can all the others too.

Radiation is all around us. Simply put we can cope with a lot but not repeated high exposure or a sudden catastrophic exposure.

That's what I was told lol :laugh:

32 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Film badge? Yeah we get issued those at work. Have realtime digital monitors as well.

So how does it feel after growing a tail? especially after living your first couple of deacades fully docked. Do you put the toilet seat up or down.??

22 minutes ago, jiggy said:

So how does it feel after growing a tail? especially after living your first couple of deacades fully docked. Do you put the toilet seat up or down.??

Is it a bird, is it a plane.... No! It's the incredible monkeyman!

56 minutes ago, scothunter said:

We had one in school. Turned out there was radiation in all the school clocks. 

Back when in physics lessons at school,  the teacher had a Geiger counter which was showing background radiation strikes which were the odd click every few seconds. One of the lads in class had a luminous watch and the teacher put the microphone like detector near it and it was almost a constant aggressive crackling. I wonder if being exposed to an amount of radiation on his wrist for how many months / year's might have had an effect on him these many years later ! ! 

Back when Chernobyl happened I knew a bloke who worked at Dungeness  nuclear power station. He told me that a worker there had set off a radiation alarm caused by a particle of radio active material on his clothes that he had worn putting down some turf in the garden. Somehow they determined that this particle had come from Chernobyl. Either it was pretty potent or the detector was highly tuned.

• Thanks 1