Quick question?

39 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

There use to be one called the Cawdor coursing challenge that sankey, harry burton etc use to run in, though it might of been that one

it was at Cawdor and sanky was in it, some other well known lads in it  as well, and some of em gone now god rest em, they were going to do a return in England but don't think it happened,

Edited by two crows

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some do an ounce pal........

when I was a boy most of the lurchers in my area were deerhound based, and decent dogs in reality, but I was a smug little b*****d cos I got a saluki lurcher, and at that time 1969 there were very few

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that a hare won't hit top speed until the dog is right behind it. It might look as though it's going flat out, but watch it go down a gear or two when t

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, two crows said:

it was at Cawdor and sanky was in it but he did not organise this one, some well known lads in it and some of em gone now god rest em, they were going to do a return in England but don't think it happened .

A bloke called Dennis burns won it with a bitch called gyp which he later put to colefeilds joe, I did a 16 hour round trip to get a pup out of them which was worth it in the end as my pup turned out to be a very good bitch, do you remember that bitch gyp who won it?

3 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

A bloke called Dennis burns won it with a bitch called gyp which he later put to colefeilds joe, I did a 16 hour round trip to get a pup out of them which was worth it in the end as my pup turned out to be a very good bitch, do you remember that bitch gyp who won it?

no mate it must of been a different year this one was four English men against four Scotsmen, England won it (I was not going to mention that) my bitch was up for dog of the day but steve robberts got it,there was no individual winner I knew every one in it accept one of the Scotsmen he had a red bitch, nice chap and a good bitch we drew our course my bitch looked to me like she was fadeing but rallied and killed the hare, my dogs were fed in the van the night before  and the dog in the comp had both dinners, the next morning she looked like she was in pup, lol but none could lead her up or beat her, lol great day and great company.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, two crows said:

the best ones are the fast up and atem type saluki persentages don't come in to it there bred within the line i.e nothing else added  saluki out cross only do that a few times over the years and they nearly all saluki but totally different.

That's what i mean, you see a lot of longdogs now that look like pures although they're not, obviously heavy Saluki infused. Can the pures hang with these types over here? I've seen some on video clips that don't look all that but a video can be deceiving. 

12 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Was there not a few dogs about with Irish terrier in their breeding that did well at the hares? Just a question as hares ain’t my thing but an interesting topic all the same.

There was, and they were good action packed runners, tight as a drum, but they weren't up to it on a top winter fenland hare

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

That's what i mean, you see a lot of longdogs now that look like pures although they're not, obviously heavy Saluki infused. Can the pures hang with these types over here? I've seen some on video clips that don't look all that but a video can be deceiving. 

no a pure is generally  slower but can stay for ever, the line bred dogs although they have mainly saluki blood perform very different to pures because of the lurcher ancestry, and to complicate things further fi sal grey' are different again, lol.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

There was, and they were good action packed runners, tight as a drum, but they weren't up to it on a top winter fenland hare

So a statement earlier that it’s only Salukis that can catch 3s in winter anywhere was a bit of the mark.???. I understand that the big open ground takes a different animal but to say it can’t be done on smaller land with a dog without saluki in it is wrong. 

4 minutes ago, two crows said:

no a pure is generally  slower but can stay for ever, the line bred dogs although they have mainly saluki blood perform very different to pures because of the lurcher ancestry, and to complicate things further fi sal grey' are different again, lol.

6 minutes ago, two crows said:

Why are lads having to go back to Saluki though? Shouldn't the linebred dogs have moved on from the pures and be more capable Hare dogs?