Quick question?

3 hours ago, downsouth said:

Ive never had a coursing dog or been into coursing but one of my old lurchers could kill a hare or two but couldnt do a thing with the hares on the fens the couple of times i went up there with a few lads to have a morning out.I did see a couple of well bred coursing dogs in the hands of good dog lads and to see them killing hares in numbers off of 150yrd slips was an eye opener.

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that a hare won't hit top speed until the dog is right behind it. It might look as though it's going flat out, but watch it go down a gear or two when the dog reaches it and you see it was only cruising. That's how experienced dogs can be given massive slips and still get to the hare with plenty of energy left to actually run the hare hard and catch it. 

• Like 6

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some do an ounce pal........

when I was a boy most of the lurchers in my area were deerhound based, and decent dogs in reality, but I was a smug little b*****d cos I got a saluki lurcher, and at that time 1969 there were very few

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that a hare won't hit top speed until the dog is right behind it. It might look as though it's going flat out, but watch it go down a gear or two when t

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, two crows said:

no other dog can do that, fact, but you always get somebody saying my dog don't take 4 or 5 mins to catch a hare but the fact is they prob never run a good one, during the 1970's when dearhound crosses was all the rage my saluki lurchers was makin there jaws drop lol.

Couldn't have sed it better pal you no ye self pal when ye get one of them good ones when the get a second wind after a minute or so and the kick up a gear and pull 20 yards on ye dog that's when a dogs breeding and hart comes in to play coz that's when you see a good dog make the ground up and get back at him no other breed is doing that apart from a coursing bred dog fact most of the ones that can kill the that are not coursing bred can kill them at the beginning and end of the season maybe a few in between put a can garantee the won't be killing many after that first real frost when the pick right up 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

How are the top dogs of today, i take it they're heavily Saluki infused? I prefer my dogs up and at em tbh.

the best ones are the fast up and atem type saluki persentages don't come in to it there bred within the line i.e nothing else added  saluki out cross only do that a few times over the years and they nearly all saluki but totally different.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

How are the top dogs of today, i take it they're heavily Saluki infused? I prefer my dogs up and at em tbh.

The not really pal but the last few years the has been a lot of out breeding to pure breds the last few years that doesn't mean the not up and at them pal look at Tilly .... what you won't in a good coursing dog is a one that will kill them fast if he can but has the wind to stay if he has to 

2 hours ago, two crows said:

no other dog can do that, fact, but you always get somebody saying my dog don't take 4 or 5 mins to catch a hare but the fact is they prob never run a good one, during the 1970's when dearhound crosses was all the rage my saluki lurchers was makin there jaws drop lol.

I have to agree with two crows I watched a bitch run 4 on very heavy black soil on some strong winter hares she killed 3 the way she boxed them in on that ground and kept the pressure on to make those catches  i don't think most lurcher s could of done that over those 3 runs  that not a chance she was a pleasure to watch work 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Was there not a few dogs about with Irish terrier in their breeding that did well at the hares? Just a question as hares ain’t my thing but an interesting topic all the same.

I believe some of the Irish lads had them some of our early dogs had beddy in as well

• Like 1