Going after my first barbel tomorrow evening. 

What do you think of my bait choice and tackle? All this hair rigs and boilies is new to me. 

Bait runner reel. 10lb line. 2lb test curve river rod

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0627.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to catch this small barbel out of the River Kennet the other night, I haven’t fished it for a few years. Apparently it’s not the river it used to be, I have heard that otters are one of the re

Very rocky and weedy.  Last attempt before waiting for the rains to come. 

Get some halibut pellets and some large 2/3 oz open ended feeders, plug a few pellets in the feeder at each end with the groundbait?fiddly those pva bags, I use and prefer the mesh stocking type ?I us

Posted Images

Get some halibut pellets and some large 2/3 oz open ended feeders, plug a few pellets in the feeder at each end with the groundbait?fiddly those pva bags, I use and prefer the mesh stocking type ?I use a fluorocarbon hook link 2 lb less than my main line, in clear water around 3/4 ft in length. Worth using some sort of dip, liquid krill, crab etc for a little edge. Most fish this time of yr are caught as its getting or after dark?good luck, best fighting fish in the uk imo?

• Like 3

Agree with DC. Get open end feeder on go. If ur fishing a smaller river or shorter session I would just soak some 6mm pellets and squash them in feeder. If u need to bulk out to make it last use grounbait. Have a look at Bob Roberts DVD Barbel days and ways. Sure on there they do some underwater footage with pvas and the hook hold melted before rest of bag so the whole lot just f****d off downstream.

I would fish a longer loop on the hair rig and have a bit of a gap to the hook, about 1/4inch but that's personal choice.

Can't go wrong with robin reds on hook, DC of you haven't tried them give em a go.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

What hooks do you guys use an what type a hair rig???

Fox armo hooks size 10/8,always tie my own hairs have my bait sitting around half inch from the hook, use korda iq fluorocarbon 10lb or braid. 

Which stretch are you going on . There’s a few been coming out lately . The robin red will catch but i never use groundbait on there , probably will work but it’s not necessary so I don’t carry it . The 3 baits I use on the ribble are mainline hybrid , sonubaits code red and dynamite robin red , I’ve had a lot of barbel on them over the years and all I do is hair rig a boilie and either put 2 crushed and 2 full boilies in some pva mesh if I’m using straight lead or wet some 4mm pellets to make them sticky and put them in a 3-4oz korum river feeder . My mainline is 12lb with about 18inch of 12lb flouro combi linked to 10lb braid and a 6-8 hook . You probably already know this but look for fast oxygenated water and fish below that if it goes in to deeper water 

26 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Yeah. There's no flow though 

Its been looking horrible down there recently . Have you looked at the free stretch below half penny bridge , its the bit that backs on to the golf course . Theres some fast water at the top of the stretch that might be a better bet if you go again

• Like 2