Whats your approach to Poachers

43 minutes ago, jok said:

Totally agree Terry. The shoot I try to be on as often as possible will NOT , for any reason, see game going to waste. We do everything, from pies, terrines, roasts, burgers , sausages and obviously the shoot dinners. Anything that isn't taken by the guns and friends generally ends up being delivered to me and I distribute accordingly. The kitty soon builds up and 2 of our stalkers get their annual dues paid from the proceeds. As far as I'm aware the shoot doesn't get much unwelcome attention but that is probably due to the diligence of the keeper and indeed the guns. Jok.

i have no doubt your keeper is diligent but i also have no doubt keepers have a much easier life now due to game being worthless compared to 80s early 90s.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know , the local dog lads who if I were not on good terms with would no doubt be all over my patch like a rash . But I’ve got them on board. They help me clear out my pens prior to release. We also

If they are serious and well-schooled freelancers,..you are most unlikely to ever encounter them...?

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc... Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation. Of course, it wa

Posted Images

Everyone in this game will of at some time stretched the boundary by a farm or two and anyone who says different has never been passionate about dogs .

Estate I worked near ,and Shovel Leaner knows where,used to have a very strict policy on poachers.Baseball bats to the back of the legs saw many a local man reduced to a crumpled heap lol.Not many came back for more .

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Everyone in this game will of at some time stretched the boundary by a farm or two and anyone who says different has never been passionate about dogs .

Estate I worked near ,and Shovel Leaner knows where,used to have a very strict policy on poachers.Baseball bats to the back of the legs saw many a local man reduced to a crumpled heap lol.Not many came back for more .

I know where you are on about and that approach will work on , “the locals “. Trouble is that now we have OCG members with dogs causing havoc around the Cotswolds at the moment. The Police have got a Wasap thingy which I’ve been added to . Since I’ve been on it my phone has not stopped pinging . I didn’t realise how widespread this problem is . Every few hours it seems a keeper posts a picture of a “Subaru “ , or “shogun “ with a load of travelers and their “dags” . Sunday morning coursing is a favourite. The police are trying, and they realise that it’s the same people responsible for quad thefts and general thieving. 

One of my stalking areas I pay for has been hit in the past by lads from Wales and their dogs but a few arrests and I believe a dog pts has quietened it down this last winter .I've no problem with lads taking what they catch but leaving hares and deer just lying where they were caught is not on and has no place in what I perceive to be one for the pot hunters who you never  know have been. These brazen lads were tipping  dogs out on a main road and lamping in full view of myself and the landowner, 

Stupid behaviour that was only ever going to end one way .

• Like 4

There are a few fields on my patch that were hit recently. I was out at night doing fox control when I saw lights flicking across these fields. I went over with my lights off and got a field away and saw them driving away . I scanned the field with my thermal and picked up a heat signature. Upon inspection I found it to be a dead badger , I was on the phone to the police when the vehicle returned, started Lamping the field again from the gateway, they spotted me and quickly sped off . I was on the phone to the police at the time , I was able to give them a description of the vehicle and tell them what direction they drove in . To cut a long story short the police saw them and there was a pursuit but they didn’t catch them . They are known to the police . The police came and got the dead badger and they reckon they will be able to retrieve DNA and that when they get the guys involved test their dogs and link it up . The badger was in a right mess and they had jumped on its head to kill it as there was a dent in the soil underneath its head . These were not “one for the pot “ lads , just vandals with dogs . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

There are a few fields on my patch that were hit recently. I was out at night doing fox control when I saw lights flicking across these fields. I went over with my lights off and got a field away and saw them driving away . I scanned the field with my thermal and picked up a heat signature. Upon inspection I found it to be a dead badger , I was on the phone to the police when the vehicle returned, started Lamping the field again from the gateway, they spotted me and quickly sped off . I was on the phone to the police at the time , I was able to give them a description of the vehicle and tell them what direction they drove in . To cut a long story short the police saw them and there was a pursuit but they didn’t catch them . They are known to the police . The police came and got the dead badger and they reckon they will be able to retrieve DNA and that when they get the guys involved test their dogs and link it up . The badger was in a right mess and they had jumped on its head to kill it as there was a dent in the soil underneath its head . These were not “one for the pot “ lads , just vandals with dogs . 

being careful  what we write  on here as the site and others  have cops look at it , alot of farmers  with cattle = milk/ beef, hate having pigs on there ground , and if lads got rid of few  for them, they be more than happy . i see regular  them on verges  by the road, they look like they been hit by cars lol  , it dont take the brain of Britain  to see whats going on lol . when i started in lurchers back 30 odd years ago, i had to make me mind up if i wanted to hunt legal   be it , shooting (pigeons)  , ferreting , anyting in the day with no dogs = lurchers  , as you will get lot of permission  in the day  of keepers and farmers , my brother in law  had lot of ground pigeon shooting  , i asked many time if could have walk out with him at night with my lurcher , and it was big NO , he didnt want to loose his ground, which is fair enough . So i made the decision  if wanted to keep lurchers  90% would be jumping over the fence more so at night, and ive had few very close calls with keepers and farmers, police  after me  , in them days i could run and hide , but age catches up with everybody   it as with me now 66  , carnt run no more  lol, i only stopped because  getting older and poor hearing . regards  game left behind   hares, deer ,  your 100% asking for trouble  with game , dogs , lamp , in your motor 3am , so you go back next day nothing in motor and pick them up, thats why game left at the  place, its not rocket science  is it . and  regards keepers or farmers  coming heavy handed , i remember  few years ago a bloke i been out with before , he was poaching   on some ground after few hares  and deer , farmer and a mate  give this bloke real good hiding  he was black and blue  , he  didnt get out of bed for  4 days . anyway  he dropped   few quid to couple of  big black lads to  sort him out,  they went in the day found out where he was , and put him in hospital  for 2 weeks  bust ribs etc , there a very old saying ( what goes around, comes a round )  when ever i was poaching  after few rabbits , i never argue etc , if caught i just walk away and leave it at that, i never wanted any trouble , but some  poachers, farmers, keepers , would alway want to take it to the next level , and it will never change , there twats in all walks of life, that never changes .!!

• Like 4

I know where I come from , and I haven’t forgotten my past . But I was only after rabbits and foxes . There weren’t the deer around these parts when I was active. I also agree that a lot of farmers would like their badger problem gone . But turning a blind eye to it isn’t an option, the fields I mentioned had deer on them , they’ve gone now either caught by dogs or run off the ground . It’s now my livelihood, so I’m going to keep monitoring it . I’m on my own most of the time so confronting them isn’t going to happen. It’s a game that has been played for years , the rules have changed now so the Victorian night dogs and staves have been replaced with trail cams and wasap . The fact is these guys are criminals, it’s as simple as that . I hope the police catch them , and throw the book at them . 

15 hours ago, foxdropper said:

I've known barns go up or flocks disappear for similar

• Like 2

Well it’s a simple as this “ I am a son of god . God created this land and all the animals on it for man so as far as I’m concerned I go where I like and take what I need ( when it comes to game) I don’t go round smashing gates taking 100s of birds cutting fences etc etc I nip on take what I need and go . If someone doesn’t like that then they can happily come tell me to go to which I will reply “ ok I will “ then I’ll just go back the next night. 

And befor anyone says I wouldnt like it if someone robbed my home or car etc etc well no I wouldn’t I’d do something about it ,like I’d expect the keepers to do to me 

• Like 1
On 27/08/2018 at 07:34, foxdropper said:

One of my stalking areas I pay for has been hit in the past by lads from Wales and their dogs but a few arrests and I believe a dog pts has quietened it down this last winter .I've no problem with lads taking what they catch but leaving hares and deer just lying where they were caught is not on and has no place in what I perceive to be one for the pot hunters who you never  know have been. These brazen lads were tipping  dogs out on a main road and lamping in full view of myself and the landowner, 

Stupid behaviour that was only ever going to end one way .

Them kind are just plain stupid idiots who need culling 

On 26/08/2018 at 20:20, foxdropper said:

Someone done me with a baseball bat could guarantee they’d be putting  the barns out by morning . FAre enough if someone caught me lamping rabbits who taking couple birds gave me a couple slaps then I’d deserve it and it’s part of the game . A baseball bat tho, well bye bye barns 

• Like 1