Whats your approach to Poachers

you know I was a poacher right from being a small boy but of course I did not see it like that taking the odd pheasant with a catapult, then rabbits and hares with a dog, and before long its birds at night with a fourten gun, years later by pure chance a chap asked if I would look after his farm shoot in exchange for permission to work dogs shoot pigeons etc, since then I have never  poached and run my dog when ever I like, I believe we should where we can, help young lads who may take the wrong path with dog or ferret, a little patch to look after can make a massive difference to someone for the good, where a trip to court would certainly do the opposite.

• Like 11
  • 1 year later...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know , the local dog lads who if I were not on good terms with would no doubt be all over my patch like a rash . But I’ve got them on board. They help me clear out my pens prior to release. We also

If they are serious and well-schooled freelancers,..you are most unlikely to ever encounter them...?

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc... Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation. Of course, it wa

Posted Images

What a load of b@//s police are a waste of time slap on the hand is all they get trespass no such thing it's not a police matter no more as not been for 5 years you got the right to roam as long as there's no gun then that's different harmed trespass we don't like running in muddy fields after poachers getting muck on how nice black shoes and trousers lol

On 13/08/2018 at 21:09, KES2 said:

The police knew the dogmen  (reg no)- they were petty criminals in a local town - we worked together to remove them - quite successfully.

Roost shooting just means you get there in daylight knowing the route in and route out and which pen they go to. One guy was a full moon type and walked a set route. You can always get them in the end if the land isnt too huge = the shoot was 1000 acres.

Having a reliable contact in the police makes it easier., usually they come and see for themselves. They can call the ARU and nobody messes with them, poacher or legit. The little red dot is quite unnerving - having been mistaken for someone else myself.

Can I borrow your book on poaching when you are done with it, sounds a right good ole fairly tale ?? ‘‘tis my delight on a moonlit night was also a load of romantic tosh I’m sorry to tell you, any keeper or poacher reading your posts will be having a little chuckle to themselves as it’s quite clear you don’t have a pot, next time it’s a bit inclement outside, no moon, howling winds from the SW etc pop outside then, you may catch the beam of a real poacher you clown ? ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
On 18/11/2019 at 15:51, Greyman said:

Can I borrow your book on poaching when you are done with it, sounds a right good ole fairly tale ?? ‘‘tis my delight on a moonlit night was also a load of romantic tosh I’m sorry to tell you, any keeper or poacher reading your posts will be having a little chuckle to themselves as it’s quite clear you don’t have a pot, next time it’s a bit inclement outside, no moon, howling winds from the SW etc pop outside then, you may catch the beam of a real poacher you clown ? ??

They will be back mate seen it all before the bottom line is you won't stop they ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2019 at 20:06, Rat ha tat tat said:

They will be back mate seen it all before the bottom line is you won't stop they ? 

The main reason actual poaching has died out is the lack of money in it, 1980/90s a deer was worth a £100 now people feed them to there dogs, rainbow trout would fetch a quid each rabbits were abundant and fetching 50p each clean or 25p up the zoo if the dogs had marked them up, squirrel tails, hares masks, and jays wings were all 50p to the fly tiers and the main bred and butter was fox’s at £25 a pelt and £25 if they were wearing a tracking collar or £5 for an ear tag, plus you never had the taxman looking in your bank to see were every penny you owned had come from, an 8hr day out could earn you a £100 when work was earning about £50 a week, so there was a lot of incentives to go out lamping, coursing and mooching for a living without the risks of having your dogs destroyed and van seized, it was a good time to be alive for a mooching man with a couple of decent dogs but that unfortunately will never return ??

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The main reason actual poaching has died out is the lack of money in it, 1980/90s a deer was worth a £100 now people feed them to there dogs, rainbow trout would fetch a quid each rabbits were abundant and fetching 50p each clean or 25p up the zoo if the dogs had marked them up, squirrel tails, hares masks, and jays wings were all 50p to the fly tiers and the main bred and butter was fox’s at £25 a pelt and £25 if they were wearing a tracking collar or £5 for an ear tag, plus you never had the taxman looking in your bank to see were every penny you owned had come from, an 8hr day out could earn you a £100 when work was earning about £50 a week, so there was a lot of incentives to go out lamping, coursing and mooching for a living without the risks of having your dogs destroyed and van seized, it was a good time to be alive for a mooching man with a couple of decent dogs but that unfortunately will never return ??

happy days sadly gone forever. you have hit it perfectly there. early 80s pheasants £5 a brace and people in the pubs snapped your hand off. now they give them away. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

My approach to poachers is usually to put the pan over a medium heat and ensure the water never runs dry, especially in those none stick covered jobbies... Fresh, free range eggs and about 3 minutes should do it... ??

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/08/2018 at 18:59, KES2 said:

I note your avatar is kes - some similarities then. 

I have been a gamekeeper for a DIY shoot and had dogmen coursing, poachers taking roosting birds and falconers just walking the fields like they own them. All these activities frighten birds and ruin shooting seasons people pay good money for and work hard to achieve.  I have my own fields now and can do what I want - I also have permissions for foxes, deer etc. 

I cannot accept poaching because its someone else's land - I have worked all my life to get mine and will not tolerate poaching - target or not. I dont know about you but when someone says I shouldnt do something on my own land its a red rag. I now have night vision, trail cameras and good visibility - no-one but no-one walks my land without permission, I have sheep and will not tolerate dogs.

They aren't making land anymore and with an acre costing 10K would you let anyone on yours? For the price of a second hand car anyone can buy some woodland - maybe as part of a group. So no reason to poach

I have no sympathy with poachers they despoil, damage, steal, -  its not even romantic any more -it needs to be eradicated.

You sound like a fun guy to hang out with 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...