Whats your approach to Poachers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know , the local dog lads who if I were not on good terms with would no doubt be all over my patch like a rash . But I’ve got them on board. They help me clear out my pens prior to release. We also

If they are serious and well-schooled freelancers,..you are most unlikely to ever encounter them...?

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc... Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation. Of course, it wa

Posted Images

Thats not the approach taken with other crimes.

Would you advocate letting any other thieves off ?

We could dispense with the police altogether.

Poaching affects others livelihoods, damages the land and is not based on any plan to preserve or protect in any form - wildlife.

Still - leave that to others  eh?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KES2 said:

Thats not the approach taken with other crimes.

Would you advocate letting any other thieves off ?

We could dispense with the police altogether.

Poaching affects others livelihoods, damages the land and is not based on any plan to preserve or protect in any form - wildlife.

Still - leave that to others  eh?

I know where you are coming from , but to deal with “poaching “ or wildlife crime it helps to understand the perpetrators. They generally despise landowners and see gamekeepers as their paid lackeys . They don’t respect ownership of land and believe they have as much right to game as anyone. They know the police are stretched and have little interest in this kind of crime . Even if they do get caught the penalty’s are laughable. The best things to do are to restrict access to fields and tracks to vehicles . If you take a very confrontational approach to these people you WILL become a target . There are also the “one for the pot “ poachers who see themselves as latter day Robin Hoods , robbing from the rich . I can understand the poacher because I was one . I had running dogs , and not one landowner would give me permission, so what did I do ? I thought f@@k him , I’m going anyway. I would have loved to have had permission, but landowners would take one look at me and say no way . If you can take a pragmatic approach and try to understand who you are dealing with , why they are there , you will find we are not so different. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I note your avatar is kes - some similarities then. 

I have been a gamekeeper for a DIY shoot and had dogmen coursing, poachers taking roosting birds and falconers just walking the fields like they own them. All these activities frighten birds and ruin shooting seasons people pay good money for and work hard to achieve.  I have my own fields now and can do what I want - I also have permissions for foxes, deer etc. 

I cannot accept poaching because its someone else's land - I have worked all my life to get mine and will not tolerate poaching - target or not. I dont know about you but when someone says I shouldnt do something on my own land its a red rag. I now have night vision, trail cameras and good visibility - no-one but no-one walks my land without permission, I have sheep and will not tolerate dogs.

They aren't making land anymore and with an acre costing 10K would you let anyone on yours? For the price of a second hand car anyone can buy some woodland - maybe as part of a group. So no reason to poach

I have no sympathy with poachers they despoil, damage, steal, -  its not even romantic any more -it needs to be eradicated.

• Like 1

We've been down this track many times.  Some folk feel that they are entitled to go where they like and poach (steal) what they like.  But if these same folk found someone trespassing on their property, or heaven forbid, stealing their property it becomes a totally different scenario!

53 minutes ago, KES2 said:

I note your avatar is kes - some similarities then. 

I have been a gamekeeper for a DIY shoot and had dogmen coursing, poachers taking roosting birds and falconers just walking the fields like they own them. All these activities frighten birds and ruin shooting seasons people pay good money for and work hard to achieve.  I have my own fields now and can do what I want - I also have permissions for foxes, deer etc. 

I cannot accept poaching because its someone else's land - I have worked all my life to get mine and will not tolerate poaching - target or not. I dont know about you but when someone says I shouldnt do something on my own land its a red rag. I now have night vision, trail cameras and good visibility - no-one but no-one walks my land without permission, I have sheep and will not tolerate dogs.

They aren't making land anymore and with an acre costing 10K would you let anyone on yours? For the price of a second hand car anyone can buy some woodland - maybe as part of a group. So no reason to poach

I have no sympathy with poachers they despoil, damage, steal, -  its not even romantic any more -it needs to be eradicated.

When you had the dog men coursing and the poachers taking your roosting birds , what did you do ?

The police knew the dogmen  (reg no)- they were petty criminals in a local town - we worked together to remove them - quite successfully.

Roost shooting just means you get there in daylight knowing the route in and route out and which pen they go to. One guy was a full moon type and walked a set route. You can always get them in the end if the land isnt too huge = the shoot was 1000 acres.

Having a reliable contact in the police makes it easier., usually they come and see for themselves. They can call the ARU and nobody messes with them, poacher or legit. The little red dot is quite unnerving - having been mistaken for someone else myself.

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc...:yes:

Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation.

Of course, it was morally wrong...only a fool would think otherwise,..but there ya go,..what is done is done...

I've paid my dues,...and mercifully no longer have a financial need to kill for profit...

I've no regrets,...life goes on...?

933008334_ROSEMe014.thumb.jpg.ac40010922488b90879f27655f116ed7.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc...:yes:

Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation.

Of course, it was morally wrong...only a fool would think otherwise,..but there ya go,..what is done is done...

I've paid my dues,...and mercifully no longer have a financial need to kill for profit...

I've no regrets,...life goes on...?

933008334_ROSEMe014.thumb.jpg.ac40010922488b90879f27655f116ed7.jpg

remember mid 80s could get £5 a brace in pubs now some shoots bury them so i am told.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

i was talking to a local farmer recently.he had seen a few local dog lads on but left them alone.he said sometimes its best as a neighbouring farmer had nothing but trouble after calling police he had fences etc damaged.not saying it's right but confrontation can open a new can of worms.

Me and my son usually go over for a chat but they often bolt and we never see them again  , But one landowner stormed in on his pickup and there nearly was a set to the tractor driver told me he thought he was going to die and it was easter sunday , he left that farm soon after 

I used to pass a walled off graveyard and you would often see a couple of pheasants in there that lazy buggers that they are would never fly over the wall just run through a little gateway back into the wood. I often used to ponder over them birds 
But on the off chance I called in to see the keeper and asked if he had any birds spare and he filled up my boot and said call when ever you want all for free. 
But I don't think they tasted as good as them birds leaving through that gate I imagine :laugh:

But certainly no need to go hungry in shoot season as they will happily give them away now a days 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3

Totally agree Terry. The shoot I try to be on as often as possible will NOT , for any reason, see game going to waste. We do everything, from pies, terrines, roasts, burgers , sausages and obviously the shoot dinners. Anything that isn't taken by the guns and friends generally ends up being delivered to me and I distribute accordingly. The kitty soon builds up and 2 of our stalkers get their annual dues paid from the proceeds. As far as I'm aware the shoot doesn't get much unwelcome attention but that is probably due to the diligence of the keeper and indeed the guns. Jok.

• Like 2