Whats your approach to Poachers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know , the local dog lads who if I were not on good terms with would no doubt be all over my patch like a rash . But I’ve got them on board. They help me clear out my pens prior to release. We also

If they are serious and well-schooled freelancers,..you are most unlikely to ever encounter them...?

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc... Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation. Of course, it wa

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

There are certain things which define particular poachers. Some use the full moon or the moon approaching it, Each has a particular (familiar) route into a shoot and this will be related to location of pens and later knowledge of where most birds roost. Each will have their own way to poach, be it net air rifle/ other methods. Anyone using a shotgun or rifle - do not get personally involved - look for reg no's and call armed police.

It would help to deploy the odd trail cam (well camouflaged) and, most importantly do a few rounds at night ask a few friends and meet after to share info..

In one case I knew, a shotgun was found concealed in a hedge near a shoot. It looked rusted but was well oiled and carefully hidden. Another poacher I came across used the full moon only to move around on the shoot he came the same way on foot and used an air rifle. 

Deer poachers and those who use running dogs to illegally pursue deer are the type to be aware of. The first group are armed and dangerous and have been known to shoot at people. Illegal dog men  and the method they use to take deer cause most damage and not just to the deer.  Then there are those in the travelling community who always go with 'support'.

If you have access to a drone with IR, flying these at night on routes determined in daylight and stored in the machine will help you place trail cams and 'police' your patch but try to adapt the lights.

In the end, the police will help if you provide them with info because those who poach usually have a record. Details of when, how, where will give them a greater opportunity of success .

Locked Gates, nail boards etc are all things which can be used.

Go over and speak to them. They may only be after acouple of bunnies and could help you out in the long run by helping keep an eye on the land. If there the nuisance type smashing gates fence ruining livestock then go over and tell them to leave if they don’t you have to options. Fight or walk away .

phoneing the police isn’t ready a good option as will just give cause for them to get there own back this escalating the problem  

• Like 12
23 hours ago, KES2 said:

There are certain things which define particular poachers. Some use the full moon or the moon approaching it, Each has a particular (familiar) route into a shoot and this will be related to location of pens and later knowledge of where most birds roost. Each will have their own way to poach, be it net air rifle/ other methods. Anyone using a shotgun or rifle - do not get personally involved - look for reg no's and call armed police.

It would help to deploy the odd trail cam (well camouflaged) and, most importantly do a few rounds at night ask a few friends and meet after to share info..

In one case I knew, a shotgun was found concealed in a hedge near a shoot. It looked rusted but was well oiled and carefully hidden. Another poacher I came across used the full moon only to move around on the shoot he came the same way on foot and used an air rifle. 

Deer poachers and those who use running dogs to illegally pursue deer are the type to be aware of. The first group are armed and dangerous and have been known to shoot at people. Illegal dog men  and the method they use to take deer cause most damage and not just to the deer.  Then there are those in the travelling community who always go with 'support'.

If you have access to a drone with IR, flying these at night on routes determined in daylight and stored in the machine will help you place trail cams and 'police' your patch but try to adapt the lights.

In the end, the police will help if you provide them with info because those who poach usually have a record. Details of when, how, where will give them a greater opportunity of success .

That's straight out a book and bullshit

• Like 11
  • Haha 4
On 11/08/2018 at 10:50, Elchapo said:

Go over and speak to them. They may only be after acouple of bunnies and could help you out in the long run by helping keep an eye on the land. If there the nuisance type smashing gates fence ruining livestock then go over and tell them to leave if they don’t you have to options. Fight or walk away .

phoneing the police isn’t ready a good option as will just give cause for them to get there own back this escalating the problem  

Spot on, all most are after

• Like 1

A keeper I know of and who fancied himself as a bit tasty with his fists had loads of problems. He had illegal coursing going on and he would chase them and confront them and shoot dogs . All it did was make him and his shoot a target. It was almost a sport for these lads to wind him up . I know lots of shoots have a “do not confront them , or call the police “ policy.

On 11/08/2018 at 10:43, KES2 said:

What a load of shite!! You sound like an anti who’s been reading to much false news articles. I run dogs I don’t go out armed.  In fact I’ve got all my permission from been caught poaching so definitely can’t be dangerous either. You get the odd bad apple in all walks of life don’t tar us all with the same brush.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I am amazed by this thread which suggests a sad romanticism to poaching. I have said before its illegal - land is owned and the owner has the right to take anything on it - no-one else has.

Buy some land and get poached yourself. I love shooting and all country sports for the idiot who presumed I'm an anti. Trespass is trespass and those who poach are thieves - nothing less, some are violent thieves and I have no love for them. 

The times when it was necessary to find a meal are gone, modern poaching is self-indulgent or commercial.

Its simple to ask.

IIs a despicable, dishonest practice based on a previous necessity from which it draws an unjustified and unjustifiable legitimacy.  The most obvious case of this is in the Wyre Valley where one of your romantic souls killed 11 deer including some pregnant and some followers.

Dont tell me anything good about poaching.

Seems an odd first and only post. :hmm:

I fail to see the misty-eyed romanticism associated with poaching - past or present.

I'm not saying poachers are necessarily armed, dangerous or even cause any damage, but the bottom line is the land is paid for, owned and maintained by someone else, so what gives anyone the right to trespass on it? 

Maybe they poach because they don't have their own land. There's lots of things I don't have, but that doesn't mean I can borrow other people's stuff whenever the fancy takes me.